Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 AM
SL Member

Default HIDs

Can someone please confirm that these two will work ok for low and high beams on my 2012 xB? obviously I'm stupid and dont know much about anything.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/H11-SLIM-HID-...item3a76b221fa

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/9005-SLIM-HID...item3a76807fca
Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

These are the right bulb sizes, but why not buy from a vendor here on scionlife that will give you better service and better shipping?

Also, why HID high beams? Most people only use them occasionally to flash others, and doing so with an HID ballast is a great way to burn them out quickly.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those will work fine for your low beams, as far as your high beams DO NOT PUT H.I.Ds IN YOUR HIGH BEAMS all they will do is blind the f out of on coming traffic and because of the way that xenon bulbs produce light you wont be able to see as much as you will with your stock bulbs when they are used in any thing other than a projector housing.

Last edited by goldtoaster; 07-26-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-26-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would never go back to the stock high beams. I have been running the xenon high beams for a long time. You just don't high beam people you learn to use your horn But when it comes to lighting up the night nothing beats them. I can see incredibly further than even my mother and farthers mercedes.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 PM
SL Member

You guys are great. I feel less stupid every day!

Yes I want to stick with 6000K. I'm not crazy about too much blue. The only and only reason I want to replace my high beam is because it's also the daytime running bulb and I want my daytime running light to look sharp white. I hate yellowish running lights. I recently replaced my stock high beam/daytime running bulb with Nokya Arctic White 7000K and I'm disappointed. High beam looks sharp white but daytime running still looks yellowish. If I must not use HID for this bulb then what are my options?

My main priority is to make daytime running look sharp white because these are the lights that are always on and I drive my car mostly day time but obviously I'm all about consistency so I definitely want my low beam to be the same look.

I also want those mystery 'Parking lights' to be the same look. I understand that this bulb cannot be replaced with a HID..true? What are my options to make Parking lights look the same? because these lights come on when low beam is on and it would be 'ugly' if they look different.

In summary, I want low beam, high beam (daytime running), and parking lights bulbs all to be the same look (sharp white).
Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 PM
SL Member

come on guys...help me become a little more less stupid
Old 07-29-2012, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goldtoaster
because of the way that xenon bulbs produce light you wont be able to see as much as you will with your stock bulbs when they are used in any thing other than a projector housing.
okay im going to call totall BS on this (lol this guy ) but i have 6k HIDs in my highs and they are way brighter than stock halogen. EXACLTY like halogen bulbs, HIDs produce side emmiting light (some also emit from the front it depends on if you have a glare shield on the bulb or not). however instead of using a standard filament like halogen bulbs HIDs work by igniting a gas in a small chamber, so the light output is more intense, yet again LIKE HALOGEN xenons emit lights from the sides and so when bounced of the reflective surface of your highbeam housing, it works just like halogen only brighter. and i use them constantly at night since i live out in the country. so yeah dude dont be afraid to put HIDs in yours highs. its worth it. besides most HID kits take a couple seconds to warm up so you wouldnt be able to flash people with your highs anyways. so instead of listening to people say dont do it because you cant flash people... uuuuuh dont flash them. bright as hell headlights > flashing on coming vehicles.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_Moonbass
okay im going to call totall BS on this (lol this guy ) but i have 6k HIDs in my highs and they are way brighter than stock halogen. EXACLTY like halogen bulbs, HIDs produce side emmiting light (some also emit from the front it depends on if you have a glare shield on the bulb or not). however instead of using a standard filament like halogen bulbs HIDs work by igniting a gas in a small chamber, so the light output is more intense, yet again LIKE HALOGEN xenons emit lights from the sides and so when bounced of the reflective surface of your highbeam housing, it works just like halogen only brighter. and i use them constantly at night since i live out in the country. so yeah dude dont be afraid to put HIDs in yours highs. its worth it. besides most HID kits take a couple seconds to warm up so you wouldnt be able to flash people with your highs anyways. so instead of listening to people say dont do it because you cant flash people... uuuuuh dont flash them. bright as hell headlights > flashing on coming vehicles.
So if I use HID for highbeam bulb then would the DRL look bright white? As mentioned before, the only reason I want to replace my high beam bulb is because I want daytime running lights to look really white bright.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no your DRL is a completely separate light. if you want a brighter white light in your DRL/turn signals i would suggest checking these out: http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-1157-...07796-1-2.html

note that when using just a standard white LED bulb ^^^ they wont be very bright when in DRL mode and will be brighter when using the turn signal plus it wouldnt be flashing amber which is kinda not legal. lol. i used this type of LED for a while and i didnt get any attention from law enforcement but i cant guarantee the same in other places. its all down to the officer and the location. (read below for a more legal option)

however i use switch back bulbs in my turn signals since it provides a very bright wight when using it as DRL and then switches to amber when i activate my turn signal: you can get them at alot of online places. just make sure its a 1157 bulb size. however for the best stuff i would check out V-LEDs http://www.v-leds.com/6K-TYPE-2-DUAL...51397-1-2.html

or LEDmod.com
http://store.ledmod.com/index.php?ma...products_id=72

also to let you know when you switch your turn signal bulbs to any type of LED bulb you will get what is called hyper flash which will increase your turn signal flash rate. some like it (like me) while others hate it. there are a few ways to counter this. you can use load resistors in parrallel with your turn signal circuit, or replace the flasher unit. which conveniently LEDmod.com offers this option right at the start and is the easiest way to solve the problem. i hope this helped.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:11 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_Moonbass
no your DRL is a completely separate light. if you want a brighter white light in your DRL/turn signals i would suggest checking these out: http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-1157-...07796-1-2.html

note that when using just a standard white LED bulb ^^^ they wont be very bright when in DRL mode and will be brighter when using the turn signal plus it wouldnt be flashing amber which is kinda not legal. lol. i used this type of LED for a while and i didnt get any attention from law enforcement but i cant guarantee the same in other places. its all down to the officer and the location. (read below for a more legal option)

however i use switch back bulbs in my turn signals since it provides a very bright wight when using it as DRL and then switches to amber when i activate my turn signal: you can get them at alot of online places. just make sure its a 1157 bulb size. however for the best stuff i would check out V-LEDs http://www.v-leds.com/6K-TYPE-2-DUAL...51397-1-2.html

or LEDmod.com
http://store.ledmod.com/index.php?ma...products_id=72

also to let you know when you switch your turn signal bulbs to any type of LED bulb you will get what is called hyper flash which will increase your turn signal flash rate. some like it (like me) while others hate it. there are a few ways to counter this. you can use load resistors in parrallel with your turn signal circuit, or replace the flasher unit. which conveniently LEDmod.com offers this option right at the start and is the easiest way to solve the problem. i hope this helped.
I'm not sure what car you drive but on 2012 xB, the high beam and DRL is the same bulb. DRL runs on low watt..thats all.

All I want is my DRL to look bright white (like they have on Audis, BMWs).
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by guggan
I'm not sure what car you drive but on 2012 xB, the high beam and DRL is the same bulb. DRL runs on low watt..thats all.
I don't know what country you live in (maybe Canada, I know their xB's have DRL's) but here in American we don't have true DRL's, just the parking lights that can be turned on without the headlights. That's why DJ_Moonbass described the type of bulbs that he did.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
I don't know what country you live in (maybe Canada, I know their xB's have DRL's) but here in American we don't have true DRL's, just the parking lights that can be turned on without the headlights. That's why DJ_Moonbass described the type of bulbs that he did.
oh my...now I know why this thread was not going anywhere and why no one was 'really' answering my question...lol

yes I'm in canada.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 AM
SL Member

so I can safely assume you guys dont know the answer?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HIDs will not work for you as DRLs. You can change your H11 low beams to HIDs but leave your high beam bulbs alone. Halogen bulbs can operate on lower voltage/wattage but HIDs can not.