Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

xB headlights will not shut off automatically when i .....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Very nice find rockthebeef!

Please do a DIY write-up and pictures when you install it in your xB.

Thanks.
Sure, I can do that. It seems like a pretty straightforward installation (I hope).
Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

More info on the DEI module here:
http://newscionxb.com/2nd_gen_scion_...ht-t400.0.html
Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

technically all you need to do is setup a relay that cuts the output of the headlight switch when the ignition is turned off... it's not really that hard. And if that DEI is like most of their other modules, it's pretty damn easy to install ;) They make good products
Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I got the module in the mail yesterday. It isn't "new" like the auction said. The wire for the photosensor had been obviously clipped and some of the wire ends look like they had been twisted. The kit is complete though, just not brand new.

It did not come with a wiring diagram or anything. DEI's website had nothing, but I luckily got it via customer service. I emailed them and got the pdf document the same day! Props to DEI for that.

The diagram is straightforward but there are a lot of wires to tap into. I'm having second thoughts on this project as I never really wished for automatic headlights. There is an additional switch in the installation that can bypass the automatic function. I assume you just leave the original headlight switch in the "on" position and leave the 545t switch "on" as well for full automation. I can see a very confused driver if one of these swithces is turned off. With a total of 4 switch combinations it kinda seems like a mess to me. I'm still thinking this one over...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xB headlights will not shut off automatically when i ...

Originally Posted by rakamaka
xB headlights will not turn off automatically, when i stop engine and pull key or open driver side door. And its buzzer is is too weak to listen.
Possible to forget putting off and run out of battery.
Why don't 2008 xB have feature which I have on my 20 yr old 1988 camry??
is it possible to put this feature on xB at dealer/DIY sensors....

I know what you mean, I also have a tC and i love the convenience of self turnoff headlights, i turn of my car take the keys out and as soon as i open the door the lights turn off.

I don't see the difficulty of scion incorporating this with the XB's.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i agree, after trading in my 07 tC...i was looking around for this particular feature. call me lazy...but...that was pretty convenient!

older yes...my MKIII supra turbo had this feature; maybe it was an eightees thing?? heheheh
But even still...price of the car 17K..doesn't matter...the tC's price point is just about the same.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 PM

Default 2010 XB Warning Buzzer and Headlight Switch

OK, the buzzer on the XB SUCKS! Toyota doesn't have a fix and could care less. A headlight delay shutoff system would be great but they don't offer it and I was wondering if anyone knew who might make an aftermarker system for the XB? Now for the people who have said "what you can't see your headlights at night"? Have you considered people that have their headlights on during the day for safety?

An engineer at Toyota decided to put the buzzer on the back of the display guages and against the firewall to deaden the sound, that's why he's not a rocket scientist.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree %100 on this.. it blows.. even my 1998 corolla had auto lights... It ____es me off.. I will drive my wifes sienna a few days, then my car,, and forget to shut off my lights..
Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Man people are lazy. Why is it so hard to turn the headlights off? Just a flick of the wrist and wham-o! I use my headlights whenever I drive and somehow I manage to turn them off each time. Not that hard especially considering the xB2's have a light that tells you when your lights are on. The xB's don't and I don't complain.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird
Man people are lazy. Why is it so hard to turn the headlights off? Just a flick of the wrist and wham-o! I use my headlights whenever I drive and somehow I manage to turn them off each time. Not that hard especially considering the xB2's have a light that tells you when your lights are on. The xB's don't and I don't complain.
its not hard at all, the fact of the post is why does 99% of toyotas and scions have this but ours doesn't...
Old 04-10-2010, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

So what, you wanted a 17k vehicle and they needed to cut things and still make a good product. Would you rather they cut safety features and keep automatic head lights so they can keep the price of your vehicle at 17k? I see having a safe a reliable vehicle is worth the effort of turning off a light switch. The again, my wrists rotate properly.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FWIW -- I ran into a thread on another forum mentioning this problem early last Fall. A couple people made a mod that caused a relay to fire off the horn if the vehicle was shut down with the headlights on.

I was looking for ideas at the time and this seemed like a legitimate opportunity (my Eclipse automatically shuts down the headlights when the key's removed), so I made a mod that disables the headlights when the key's removed -- much like the Eclipse.

Never noticed this thread before -- I see it goes back aways.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:11 AM
SL Member

How did you make the mod?

I think the xB should come like this standard. My 2002 econo Hyundai Elantra has it. I mean, if Hyundai included it on their cars as standard equipment 9 years ago (my elantra came out in 2001), you would think Toyota could pull this off as well.

When I rented the xB I noticed it didn't have this feature and I thought the reminder "buzzer" was too quiet too.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think anyone not willing to flick their wrist is plain lazy. You pay a he1l of a lot more for a home, and those lights don't turn off when you exit the room, do they? why is it a huge deal in your car if it's a daily activity you perform in your home?
17k or 300k, it's not that hard.

Big_Bird makes a point.
VSC, or an auto headlight?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 AM
SL Member

Lights that turn off in your house have never been known to be standard equipment. Whereas in cars, even other cheap cars made almost a decade ago, it is.

I guess if you've never had it, you wouldn't know what you're missing. It has nothing to do with laziness and more to do with convenience, features, and common sense. Why would anyone want to do it manually when an automatic means is available? I mean, using your "lazy" argument, we could all be hand cranking our cars to start them too. It doesn't make sense to do that any more, of course. Just like it doesn't make sense not to include auto on/off headlights, when it's a 10-20 year old feature that many people have come to expect now. Same with power windows... keyless entry, and a lot of other stuff.

As for VSC / stability control, that will be government mandated on every car soon -- by 2012. So, it's pretty much not even an option any more.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And still cars tothis day do not come with power windows, and keyless entry. Why? because ot needs top be affordable and practical, not something luxurious. Regardless of the fact that it's been aorund for this many years, if it doesnt have it, and the burden was so large to everyone, why bother with the car in total?
the kia soul and nissan cube have them, maybe that should have been a thought then
Old 04-10-2010, 06:07 PM
SL Member

Dude, there's no perfect car. You don't dismiss the car you want because it doesn't have auto off head lights. Come on -- get real.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by natesi
I think the xB should come like this standard. My 2002 econo Hyundai Elantra has it. I mean, if Hyundai included it on their cars as standard equipment 9 years ago (my elantra came out in 2001), you would think Toyota could pull this off as well.

When I rented the xB I noticed it didn't have this feature and I thought the reminder "buzzer" was too quiet too.
Well, from my view point, the xB left out some features I'm used to on my 1990 Eclipse and so I'm inclined to 'level' the two vehicles where I reasonably can. For example, the xB didn't come with Security and my Eclipse didn't come with Keyless Entry, and so on and so forth! Relatively speaking, the xB is an EconoBox (cheaper in 2008 than my Eclipse was in 1990) so I never blamed it or Toyota for leaving a few things out -- they just become mod possibilities -- part of the game !

How did you make the mod?
I installed a couple reed relays in a Radio Shack project box between the low and high beam switch outputs and their respective relays. I use the key sensor switch to activate them when the key is inserted -- the circuit draws about 23mA with the key installed, none with it out. I ignored the high beam flash mode, you can't accidentally leave that on !
Old 04-10-2010, 06:23 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
I installed a couple reed relays in a Radio Shack project box between the low and high beam switch outputs and their respective relays. I use the key sensor switch to activate them when the key is inserted -- the circuit draws about 23mA with the key installed, none with it out. I ignored the high beam flash mode, you can't accidentally leave that on !
That was way above my head, but thanks.

= )
Old 04-10-2010, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That was way above my head, but thanks.

= )
If you're interested in making any electrical mods, the vehicle wiring diagrams are available to download in the xB2 DIY section. Of course, a lot depends on individual comfort with making such mods, though that's true for any kind of mod really !

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/for...lay.php?f=1820

Quick Reply: xB headlights will not shut off automatically when i .....