Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Any one running the Blitz throttle control

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like to think of the scion family of vehicles being engineered like the space shuttle. Toyota had boxes of unused lexus and toyota transmissions and engines and throttle bodies. So instead of designing parts specifically to work together they figured out how to put together left over parts. When they found the combinations that worked with the bodies they designed they simply uped production on the lines producing the parts saving the cost of retooling and training.

So to have a part limited to work at 80% capacity is not unfathumable, laughable yes, but engineeringly unsound no. Sure it would have made more sense just to use the same TB used for the engine in other aplications, but the line making that TB is at max capacity; however we have this other line with room for expansion and the TB is simillar. So now what is the sound engineering decision? Doh, I mean financial decision?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright,, this is ridiculous... seriously.. have fun with this...i'm done wasting my time with it...
Old 03-30-2010, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotamastertechnician
no damage to the engine,, the motor is what i meant,, the throttle motor..
If the controller tells the motor to step beyond what the mechanism allows, at worst, I would have expected limit detection switches to alert the controller to the problem (that's what I'm used to with servos) and that should protect against motor damage from pushing it against the limit resulting in overheating. However, I would expect reasonably accurate feedback should prevent that from happening with just a tiny guard limit at each end -- boundary switches providing the safeguard.

A butterfly only has a rotation of about 90 degrees, so if 80% of actual is interpreted as 100%, then the butterfly would stop aprox 18 degrees shy of true WOT. That just appears to me as a flaw. That would occur to me as a workaround to solve some other problem, not a properly engineered throttle design. As I said before, I'm not trying to argue, the whole thing just seems a little odd !

Last edited by TrevorS; 03-30-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Original badly worded -- cleared it up!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by madmarx
I like to think of the scion family of vehicles being engineered like the space shuttle. Toyota had boxes of unused lexus and toyota transmissions and engines and throttle bodies. So instead of designing parts specifically to work together they figured out how to put together left over parts. When they found the combinations that worked with the bodies they designed they simply uped production on the lines producing the parts saving the cost of retooling and training.

So to have a part limited to work at 80% capacity is not unfathumable, laughable yes, but engineeringly unsound no. Sure it would have made more sense just to use the same TB used for the engine in other aplications, but the line making that TB is at max capacity; however we have this other line with room for expansion and the TB is simillar. So now what is the sound engineering decision? Doh, I mean financial decision?
The only thing is, the xB2 engine and TB have been used together in other vehicles for years and so I really don't see how your comment is either germain to the discussion or in any other way a contribution. In other words, if your input was designed entirely for obfuscation, then thanks for nil! If it wasn't, then I'm looking for a really good backup for your stated position.

Last edited by TrevorS; 03-30-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotamastertechnician
alright,, this is ridiculous... seriously.. have fun with this...i'm done wasting my time with it...
I totally appreciate your reaction to the post preceeding yours, but I'm hoping you're willing to converse a little longer.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trevor,, I only came on here to look up some reviews on some springs, intakes and exhaust for my car.. I'm walking away from the techy. bs bantering some like to do on these forums... I don't have the time,,, nor the energy to waste on this ..

I figured I would answer a few ? That I saw posted, And just straight up warn people not to mess with anything to do with a throttle on these cars.. I'm pretty sure everyone knows why, It's only been over publicized and way exaggerated the last few months..

I have worked for toyota for 20 years and am very proud of my company.. I have heard enough bs.. If anybody on here doesn't like their car, or thinks their old volkwagen, or whatever was better.. Than please trade it in and move on..
Old 03-30-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think pretty much everybody on this board likes their cars, whichever version Scion it is. But modding of one sort or another has been normal behavior among enthusiasts since cars were invented, so it's natural for discussion to swirl around aspects of it and the way the cars behave and operate.

From what I've read so far, I've yet to see any clear evidence there's a digital problem that results in the claimed out-of-control acceleration. And it's entirely clear to me that if a throttle got jammed open somehow, there's no question firmly applied service brakes would easily overcome whatever power and torque the engine can muster. So, even though there's a feeding frenzy among piles of people who see opportunity for themselves by pursuing Toyota, it doesn't mean most of us (or necessarily any of us) subscribe to it.

My personal interest in the discussion in this thread has nothing to do with the broohaha, but is entirely due to my interest in my vehicle. My preference for analog over digital for both steering and throttle is purely based on feel and response, nothing to do with the current headlines. Since pretty much all cars have gone digital control these days, choosing a different car isn't even a practical solution -- though I've no interest in doing so anyway !
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SUI is a joke. First Audi was raked over the coals by the headlines-instead-of-facts media because morons were confusing the accelerator and brake pedals and now it's Toyota's turn. The accelerator on my 87 Mustang GT got stuck under the floor mat numerous times but I never ran over my wife, kids or dog because of it.

Do any of you remember the 60 Minutes special on Audi SUI? Remember how they rigged a test Audi to perform SUI? I'm sure that many more people remember the 60 Minutes fantasy than the final factual determination that every incident of Audi SUI was caused by driver error.

WTF has happened to personal responsibility these days???
Old 04-01-2010, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
WTF has happened to personal responsibility these days???
As far as I can tell -- it doesn't exist. The norm is to blame somebody else and if there's any possibility for litigation, all the better. The only true winners IMO are the lawyers (what was that joke about a bus load of lawyers going into the drink?). IMO, it's all about greed, and again IMO, nobody beats Americans when it comes to greed ! Class Action Suit Litigation -- here we come, watch out Toyota or anybody else that happens to get in our sights.