Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Broken Synchro: Scion will not warranty repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:41 PM

Default UPDATE

I called the dealership. The parts are all in and the mechanic is currently working on the car. It should be done end of the day today or tomorrow morning.

***The flywheel isn't back from getting resurfaced yet; it will be tomorrow when I get to pick it up***

Last edited by SanClementeXB2; 12-22-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: content
Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member

As someone with a manual xB2 as well, subscribed.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SanClementeXB2
I called the dealership. The parts are all in and the mechanic is currently working on the car. It should be done end of the day today or tomorrow morning.

***The flywheel isn't back from getting resurfaced yet; it will be tomorrow when I get to pick it up***
did they cover it???

if not you need to do 2 things,,, keep your cool!!!!!

go to the dealer and see the GM of the dealership.. keep total cool, and show interest of buying another car there in the future..... They will usually craush it right there and help you,, they dont want toyota calling them... if they dont do squat,, then call scion.... they will usually help...
remember to keep you cool.... nobody wants to help somebody who is acting like a child...

hope i helped.. peace...
Old 12-23-2009, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by toyotamastertechnician
did they cover it???

if not you need to do 2 things,,, keep your cool!!!!!

go to the dealer and see the GM of the dealership.. keep total cool, and show interest of buying another car there in the future..... They will usually craush it right there and help you,, they dont want Toyota calling them... if they dont do squat,, then call scion.... they will usually help...remember to keep you cool.... nobody wants to help somebody who is acting like a child...

hope i helped.. peace...
I haven't heard back from Scion Corporate yet: I don't know what if any part of my repairs will be covered.

I'll be honest, I am a bit worked up over this, keeping my cool HAS NOT been easy, and politeness hasn't really gotten me...well anything at this point.
I know that the dealerships HATE having the big bosses from Toyota called and being forced to explain themselves. I also know dealerships run the risk of loosing their Scion franchising if enough complaints are submitted.

I've called the Scion Reps but I haven't called Toyota directly yet; they are programmed in my phone and I will make that call in front of the GM if it looks like I'm officially getting the shaft.

I seriously would like to have the GM tell me, in his own words, why I should want to purchase another Toyota or Scion product after my experience; much less why I would recommend their products to anybody.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Default Still getting the silent treatment

Wow, here's a big surprise. I haven't been contacted when I was told I would be called. My polite messages I have left with the service dept have not been returned. Whenever I try to ask about my car I get transferred to the voicemail of the service tech...who won't call me back.

Despite my rantings here I have been calm, polite, and considerate when on the phone with these people.

I'm moving passed tick off to straight up disgusted.

Anybody want to place bets on whether I will actually get my car back today? Honestly what do I have to do, bend over and grab my ankles in front of these people and let them all go for it? No, they would probably try to charge me for THAT to.

Guess I'll call the rental agency (that's coming out my pocket too BTW) and extend the rental by another day.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be at all unusual if an ordered part failed to come in as expected, or if some other part turned out to be needed that they overlooked earlier, or if they ran into some complication that requires additional time.

However, not receiving any response at all is indeed a little surprising. They could've run into an issue and would prefer not to discuss it until they better understand it, or better yet, have resolved it -- or even delayed starting on your vehicle for some reason. If no replies for a couple days, I'd suggest taking a run over there and try the face-to-face approach -- but make sure in advance the service department is open that day.

FWIW -- The holiday season can also complicate things due to absent personnel and resultant confusion/communication failures. Depends on how well organized the dealership is.

Last edited by TrevorS; 12-25-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:17 PM

I picked up the car at the dealership on Dec. 24'th.

Cost of repairs was

$3,867

Rental

$309

My out of pocket cost for this

$4,176

Now the fun part. I've been telling my friends and family that I bet they try some funny business with the core just to rub it in. Gee, guess what wasn't on the invoice?

As soon as I saw no core on the invoice I demanded my old tranmission back. The look on the technician's face was priceless. Full deer in the head lights with a dropped jaw.

The best he could stammer out was that there was a core charge. Really? I pointed to the invoice. SHOW ME!

This is about where the screaming started. I'll spare the profane details but suffice to say the tech had to run back and talk to the parts manager. All of a sudden there is no core charge for this job. So lets see; try to steal my core, lie to me about it, and keep it all off the books? That is criminal; I'm turning this over to a lawyer.

I have a nice crated up core that apparently does not exist on Toyota's books; I'll be shopping it out shortly. For not existing this thing sure was packed up all nice. I wonder what a Service dept audit for the last year would uncover for other "misplaced" cores on service work done for customers who don't know about this scam?

Name:  1226091405.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  42.2 KB

Here's the old trans that doesn't seem to exist yet there it is...

Name:  SCIONTITLE.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  43.6 KB
On Dec. 26'th I sold the Scion xB2. I would have sold it quicker but I needed to go places on Christmas eve and NISSAN was closed on Christmas day.

Name:  1226091352.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  42.4 KB

I bought a 2008, Nissan Frontier XE

I'll be including these pics with my Customer retention survey I'm mailing back to Toyota.

Here's to a memorable Christmas with Scion

I'm done.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow, sucks to hear you had to go through all of that. Sad thing is I don't think this is a brand specific problem with customer service and warranty work. I've owned Chevy, Ford, Honda and Toyota,
and it seems to be individual dealerships that are the issue regardless of brand. Scion should have given you some cover from the corporate side to deal with the stealership.

When I took my Scion in for the motor issue, the dealership was a Toyota / Chevy dealership, that should have been a clue. They did at least box up my motor to take with me,
though when I got it home to fix I noticed the drive axle was dislocated from the transmission, something else they didn't own up to or mention. At least the replacement axle was only $70 self-installed.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota doesn't charge a core charge on manual transmissions....... only auto. cause the autos are sent out for remanufacture. But the manuals always come brand new..

sorry to hear about your problems,, I wish you were closer, I would have got you hooked up... sorry... good luck with the new truck...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Wow, sucks to hear you had to go through all of that. Sad thing is I don't think this is a brand specific problem with customer service and warranty work. I've owned Checy, Ford, Honda and Toyota, and it seems to be individual delaerships that are the issue regardless of brand. Scion should have given you some cover from the coprorate side to deal with the stealership.

When I took my Scion in for the motor issue, the dealership was a Toyota / Chevy dealership, that should have been a clue. They did at least box up my motor to take with me, though when I got it home to fix I noticed the drive axle was dislocated from the transmission, something else they didn't own up to or mention. At least the replacement axle was only $70 self-installed.
agreed,, dealers are like resturants,, you can go to one and its great,, go to another and it su-cks... its all individual.. I work at a fantastic dealership.. when I live in florida the dealer I worked at were crooks,, they were wicked scummy,, charged way to much for everything,, even upcharged all new cars a "$795 dealer cost charge" over sticker price,,, I would never buy a car from a dealer that charges over sticker,, thats friggen nuts... But idiots came in and bought their cars there.. just made me laugh... I hated that place!!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks nice, congrats on your new ride! I hope 2010 treats you better .