Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

A/C Not Blowing Cold WTF?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default A/C Not Blowing Cold WTF?!

I have a 2010 xB with 36,XXXmiles on it. We got it Nov./Dec. of '09 so it's a little over 3 1/2yrs old and just over 36K miles so of course the A/C goes out.

It started to take longer and longer to get cold and we thought it was just the summer and car was hotter (we have limo tint all around and front strip but legal on front two now). We noticed it started to not blow cold than we would shut the car off and get back in and it would be cold right away.
Today we took a 4hr round trip and it blew cold enough in the morning for the first 45mins on highway and then just cool. We made the trip home and it was no different from the AC off and recirculate on. We messed with the buttons a bunch just to see but nothing changed it.

Anyone know what it could be? I know the fans come on but couldn't really tell if the compressor does. We bought the car brand new and no accidents or any mods under the hood. I was reading that we don't have a clutch for the compressor in the xB2 so I ruled that out. I read it could be the relay but not too sure
which one it is or how to check it. I changed the cabin filter. Any chance Toyota would cover it since I'm only a little over warranty? This is our 4th Scion and ____es me off that 6 months pass the warranty something this big would fail. I've pulled tC's all apart and back together again but never messed with any A/C.

Any thoughts on what it is? Thanks!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-15-2021 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A/C issues are caused by
1. A/C line leaking coolant
2. Compressor is defective
3. Leak in the Evap system
4. On some cars The CCRM Constant Control Relay Module is usually the problem.
the A/C relay fails causing your comprssor to stop working.

Take it to Toyota, very low miles to have this issue
Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I looked at it more this morning and not sure how to tell if compressor is running. When on or off it's spinning and the fans go on if the AC is on.

I put my hand to the vents and it seemed the passenger vents were colder than the driver side vents (driver vent by window and driver vent in middle). So I got a thermometer for checking the vents and the diver side vent are about 15-20 degrees hotter than the passenger sides. I was told it's the "blend door". I took out the radio, ac controls, glove box, and middle dash from floor to shifter off. I do not see anything that looks like a "blend door". Anyone know where this would be on the xB2?

Also where the high and low lines go into the firewall under the hood, the lines are wet there and black dirt/grease. Not sure if that is just condensation but didn't see it anywhere else.

I'm not taking it to Toyota yet or any other place cuz I just don't have the extra money to shell out right now if I don't have to. I know my limits and if I can fix it myself it would be better on the wallet.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jtizzle88
When was the last time you replaced the cabin filter ?
I actually never did but that was the first thing I checked. It was dirty but not the problem.

I went and brought it to Treasure Coast Toyota/Scion/Lexus and Paul LiCausi of Lexus and the GM of all the of the TC Steve Friend took real good care of me. The techs checked everything and the freon was low so there's a leak. They filled and put the dye in it and I'll be back Wednesday for them to see where it's coming from and get it all fixed.

Treasure Coast Toyota/Scion/Lexus are the best. I've bought 3 new cars from them in the past few years and they treated me like I did and not like these other dealership's. Big props to them and I highly recommend them.

I'll keep updated on where the leak was and what had to be done. I know there is not much xb2 ac info out there.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member

Please keep us updated
Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 PM
SCION CORP
SL Member

Please contact us at 866-707-2466 to further discuss your air conditioner concern. ^BK