Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

CX Racing exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default CX Racing exhaust questions

Hi all, I'm thing about getting the CX Racing Catback exhaust kit but after hearing the youtube clips I think it's too bloody loud. Still I like the price, the welds are apparently fairly good quality, it's Stainless steel and I like the look of it as well. Is there any way to silence it a bit so it has more of a growl when you punch it but doesn't give you a headache while driving on the highway? I was thinking about just adding a tip-mounter silencer, but would that be enough? I heard adding a glasspack helps but I wouldn't want to cut and weld on a brand new bolt on. Isn't there any way I could just fabricate something really simple or some way I could stuff one of the exhaust components with sound dampening material? I'm lost and I don't know a whole lot about exhaust setups so any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

See post #6 of this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196375

and posts #23 & #24 of this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho....php?p=3565836

for input and info regarding the CXR exhaust on an xB2.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks! I've seen the first thread already but the second one really let me decide. I'm also think of getting just a catback from autogrimming.com. It seems good and their catback system for the 350z is pretty nice. I would love to just run the same setup as ScionFred but money will be tight 'till I'm done school in 1.5 to 2.5 years
Old 12-06-2010, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have a turbo? You really don't want a 3" exhaust on a normally aspirated 4-banger, or you should expect to lose a lot of low-end & mid-range torque due to the lack of back-pressure.

I'd suggest going with the Strup cat-back single exhaust, or the Tsudo Dual Fireball cat-back if you like the dual look. I think these are the best bang-for-the-buck cat-backs if you're not into having a shop custom fab something for you. The Tsudo duals also have removable exhaust tip silencers to give you more control over the sound level.

Strup single:
http://www.fastscions.com/scion-xb2-...st-system.aspx

Tsudo dual:
http://www.speed-element.com/servlet...muffler/Detail

Last edited by CIONIDE; 12-06-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thejoshman117
Thanks! I've seen the first thread already but the second one really let me decide. I'm also think of getting just a catback from autogrimming.com. It seems good and their catback system for the 350z is pretty nice. I would love to just run the same setup as ScionFred but money will be tight 'till I'm done school in 1.5 to 2.5 years
3" is over-sized for a N/A 2AZ but dyno results show a pretty big increase in peak HP & TQ vs stock. The CXR tip comes with an adjustable silencer but it's still very loud. The best thing would be to replace the rear muffler with a Magnaflow or something similar. I ended up replacing the axle-back portion with my TRD axle-back and it made a huge difference in sound quality. No more tinny rasp or in-cabin resonance. I'll try to get a sound clip up soon.

If you're interested, I'm selling my CXR exhaust for $100 shipped minus the S-pipe that you can get from Ebay for $100. That would get you a very loud 3" exhaust. Another $100-200 should cover the parts and labor cost to replace the CXR muffler and tip.