Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY- Manual Trans Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Crush Washer

Originally Posted by BFDBOX
OK, I have noticed that this has been done for xB, tC but not the Gen2 xB. I want to simplify the confusion on how to do this.

I was a little puzzled on how to do this considering this is my first FWD import. I am used to working on VW Bugs, so I took the plunge and decided to do a DIY.

Our Manual Trans take:

2.5 qt 75w-90 GL-5 Gear oil

First step- is to remove the battery, believe me it takes less than 5 mins to do and will save you headaches. There is little room to work in this area.

Second step- Once the battery is removed locate the fill plug. I have it highlighted in Green. You should find it directly behind the starter and solenoid.
Next to the fill plug there is a small bracket holding the pcm's wiring loom. You want to remove that with a 13mm socket, this way you can easily access the fill plug.

Third step- You want to remove the fill plug first. I know this seems backwards...why would you remove the fill plug before the drain? Well its simple, If you are attempting this for the first time.
The fill plug is going to be difficult to take out. It has blue lock tight on it and it can be a bare to take out. You do not want to drain all of your fluid out just to find out you can get the fill plug out.
You want to make sure you have a 24mm deep socket and a long extension. Without the proper leverage you will only give yourself more headaches.

Fourth step- Go ahead and put the fill plug back just snug. Were going to pull out the Drain plug now. For this you will also need a 24mm wrench or socket.
It's a tight spot, find what works best for you. You might not be able to get in there with a 1/2" ratchet. Caution fluid comes out quick and smells bad, better have a good size pan.

Fifth step- Once the fluid is completely drained go ahead and put the drain plug back. Were going back to the engine bay to fill up the trans. Get your minds out of the gutter....
Well its pretty much self explanatory as to how to fill the trans. Just make sure you used 2.5 qt's. You don't want to over or under fill it, both lead to .

Go ahead and put everything back together when your done. Double check everything! start the car and make sure there is no leaks. Then test drive her!
When i go to school tonight i will check the torque spec's on the plugs and get back to you guys.

Thanks for taking the time to read this DIY, please comment if you have any questions.