Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY Weapon R Engine Damper

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Default DIY Weapon R Engine Damper

So I got home and my engine damper was there along with a couple other parts. Those are for a different post though. Here is the install on the damper. Pretty fast and easy to do. Allen wrench, 17 mm socket, 17mm and 14mm hand wrenchs. Here is the pics as we go.

Here is the motor bracket peice. Take the two 17mm bolts out and install the bracket and reinstall the bolt and nut.

Here is the chassis bracket. Take the two 14mm bolts out and slide the bracket on and reinstall and tighten the bolts back down.

Here is a pic of both brackets installed. As you can see pretty easy.

Here is the final product. basically once both brackets are in you can install the shock. The shock will take a little muscle, but not hard to do. I used the bolt in the shock to work against itself and it went right on. Basically I put the rear bolt in the shock and left it alittle loose. Then I went to the front one and slid it in at a angle. Since it is going to be tight. I was able to get the washers and nut on there and then used tightened the bolt up and it pulled it all right where it needed to be. Then I went back to the rear bolt and finished tightening it all down.

I have not tested it on the road yet. I will do that on the way to work in the morning and let everyone know from there. I did start it and you can tell it transfers some of it into the chassis. Not a big deal really as I was used to it from the tC.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for some reason i thought you already had the damper on a long time ago...

::off topic:: i was told there is a no limitz around the sacramento, ca area are you guys affiliated? or was i told wrong?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:22 AM
SL Member

let us know asap i have been looking at these and am very curious
Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i always wondered how thoes hooked up.
that kind of sucks thow, what happens if you have a strut brace?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

It works with the strut brace to I think. I know it did on my tC.
You can see on this pic that it goes under the strut brace.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
SL Member

yeah your tc was amazing
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Wil
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Waiting to hear how it feels when driving. Don't mean to hijack the topic, did you paint the plastic engine cover? I like the color. Was it hard?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:54 PM
SL Member

agreed lets see some results
Old 03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

There is alot of transfer noise for sure. As for the feel of it. It is pretty good. But one thing is for sure. There is alot of transfer noise.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

As for the cover. It is just a normal spray paint. I think it is a metallic silver. I could look tonight on the color.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

How's the build quality of the damper? I looked at the brackets on another site and I thought the welds looked a little sub-par... Also seems like there's a lot of welded pieces that don't neccesarily need to be there. It looks like they could've been made out of one piece of steel each.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:06 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I think they are bracing it alot more since there is a big gap between the chassis brace and the motor brace. So it looks like they made the motor one really strong. Maybe I am wrong here, but that is my thought on it.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey no limitz you did a great job supplying all this great info to the public and i really start to understand more as i read coz i'm still a newbie. anyways lets get to the point. i do have a few questions for you and really hope you could provide the best info/answers as possible. thanks in advance.

1-i notice theres no video from inside the dash after the installation coz i haven't have any experience so i'm hoping, and it'll be great if you have the time to do short video while your driving to see and hear how much vibrations it will cause?

2- since it cause all these vibrations to the car inside-out, would it cause any parts to get lossen up in the long run? this is my huge concern coz i don't want my baby to fall apart.

3- which is a better product in terms of quality and price? ingails vs weaponr

4- where is the place you can direct me to, for getting the best price for either ingails or weapon r? so far i've seen ebay sells it for $148 and free shipping, its the ingails one by the way.

thanx again and sorry for throwing all these questions on you all at once and i really appreciate your assistance and for all members out there i would like to hear some personal experience as well.

THANK YOU ALL for the help
Old 04-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I do not have a video of it at all. I do not know a video would do much really though.
As for which one is better. I have never used the ingalls so I can not give a honest answer. I would hate to steer you in the wrong direction and not be right. I have used the weapon R one on two vehicles now and thought they are pretty good.
The vibrations will not cause stuff to fall off the vehcile at all. It is just alot of transfer from the motor. What do you have? A 5 speed or a auto. I hear the auto is alot louder.
I have not seen a ingalls engine damper yet for the 2nd gen xB. I will have to look. I do sell both of them now so I will make sure and see if they make a 2nd gen xB one. If you have any more questions please let me know.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, time to sound stupid. What is this exactly meant to do? What results do you get? I can understand installing dampers on a blown 900whp engine, but on a 2.4L? Perhaps I don't full understand the benefits... Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, time to sound stupid. What is this exactly meant to do? What results do you get? I can understand installing dampers on a blown 900whp engine, but on a 2.4L? Perhaps I don't full understand the benefits... Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no limitz ind, thanks for clearing some things up. i have a 5speed 2008 xb. so you're saying that 5speed won't have as much vibrations as auto.
how much is the weapon r dampner including shipping?
i'm looking around to find the best price thats why i'm asking
thanx again your info really help.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by broken_20_2
What it does is stop alot of the motor twist. If you rev up our engines and watch the motor twists alot. It helps transfer more of the power to the wheels. Stops the motor from twisting so much, it does not stop it completely.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It does do the job......I am really satisfied with it and I did feel the difference having it on.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by broken_20_2
It Dampers the Engine... duh... j/k

No Limitz - is the sound/vibartion annoying cuz i might do this down the road if it doesnt take away from the ride comfort...

Quick Reply: DIY Weapon R Engine Damper