Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ebay CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011 | 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks ALOT like every other intake, minus a random brand name and a $200 price difference.

Granted, it is dirty inside...just hose it out and check for burrs. (I'll take 5 min of labor>an extra $200 anyday)
Old 03-12-2011 | 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Looks ALOT like every other intake, minus a random brand name and a $200 price difference.

Granted, it is dirty inside...just hose it out and check for burrs. (I'll take 5 min of labor>an extra $200 anyday)
We think alike on this subject but as a caution to others less mechanically inclined, my last ebay CAI took about an hour to de-bur and clean-up before installation. Had I skipped this step my engine would have ingested a fair amount of aluminum bits and pieces which could have caused some minor cylinder scoring or possibly worse.

All I needed was a rotary (dremel) tool, assorted small files, some sand paper, brake cleaner and rags but if you just want a bolt-on piece, you may wish to spend the extra money on a more finished piece. OTOH, once you clean up the ebay-quality piece, there ain't much, if any, difference between them.
Old 03-12-2011 | 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know my way around a car and metal work. I will be spending my next day off preping it for installation. Other than the imperfections it looks damn near the same as the $250+ AEM intake I had for my old honda.

So in the end if your broke and have a mod bug.. this seems to be a good deal, you just have to put in a bit of elbow grease for it.
Old 03-13-2011 | 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cleanup took about 15 minutes, a little carb cleaner I had sitting around, a rag, water hose, file and dremel. I even took a few minutes to polish up a rough spot and grind down the MAF mount there was slight warping from the welding.

Installation from start to finish took me a little over 30 minutes, that includes cleanup.

Please excuse my filthy engine compartment, my car hasnt gotten its first spring bath yet.

Name:  IMG_3674.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  120.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3677.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  102.0 KB
Name:  IMG_3678.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  91.1 KB
Name:  IMG_3680.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  77.8 KB
Name:  IMG_3684.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  91.4 KB

Sounds good, didnt have a chance to open it up because of traffic but past 3k rpm it rips. I may eventually paint it but overall I am pleased, especially with the cost.
Old 03-13-2011 | 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm.. Might grab one of these but im concerned about the lack of "finish" the part has. I don't know if I would trust myself cleaning on this piece haha
Old 03-16-2011 | 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a new one that includes a full filter, let me get a link..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCION...Q5fAccessories

Just yank out that "cyclone" thing, and you're good to go.
Old 03-16-2011 | 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

disgusting ........ i am sad
Old 03-16-2011 | 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrincon17
disgusting ........ i am sad
Y SO CEREAL?
Old 03-16-2011 | 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Nothing , I guess I just support the other brands but who knows if this will be a good brand one day. Well other than than the stupid fan they put in it , lol
Old 03-16-2011 | 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its actually a very nice build quality...check out the page. It even has flared ends to ensure a good seal. At half the price of alot of them, the big brands had better step it up, or...they're just vastly overcharging for a tube and filter (gasp, NEVER!).

(Don't get me wrong, I understand that there are some items you shouldn't skimp on : wheels, tires, suspension, but when it comes down to it...an intake is a tube...with a filter on it, and a hole for a sensor.Possibly a mounting bracket or two.) If I ever get a better suspension, I will be heading for ksports...after I get my swaybars, lighter wheels and tires.
Old 03-16-2011 | 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a new one that includes a full filter, let me get a link..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCION...Q5fAccessories

Just yank out that "cyclone" thing, and you're good to go.
I'd avoid that one. Our MAS is calibrated for a 3" tube but this ebay intake is necked down to (???) at the MAS. Stick with straight 3" tubing. Also I had the same filter on my old CAI and it rusted pretty badly in less than a year.

Another consideration is that bead rolled pipe ends are great for boost applications but aren't necessary for N/A apps and create unwanted turbulence.
Old 03-31-2011 | 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was concerned about the reduced area on the MAF myself, but it doesn't seem to affect anything at all! Im going to measure the diameter of the reduced area and see just how large it is. As for the filter, I know its not the best, but its a step above the mesh ones at least (I'm planning on replacing it with a K&N once its done).
Old 03-31-2011 | 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was concerned about the reduced area on the MAF myself, but it doesn't seem to affect anything at all! Im going to measure the diameter of the reduced area and see just how large it is. As for the filter, I know its not the best, but its a step above the mesh ones at least (I'm planning on replacing it with a K&N once its done).
I'd be very curious to know the ID of that reduced MAF section. Before there were any CAI's on the market for the XB2 I modified a TC CAI to fit but it was 2.75" OD. It worked fine but when I went turbo with a 2.75" OD MAF tube I would get a P0101 CEL every day. One benefit of the reduction is that it helps to straighten the airflow a little and any added velocity actually occurs after the reduction. If it works, it works.

A lot of those cheap filters are pretty close to K&N as they use similar oiled cotton gauze. I'll still like and will use K&N but I actually prefer woven polyester filter media like AEM and some others use. It flows 90% as well but filters much better. As long as the air filter has enough surface area, even paper isn't very restrictive.

Last edited by ScionFred; 03-31-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2011 | 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like at the bottom of that ebay listing how it says, "professional installation is highly recommended". id laugh if someone actually went to a shop to get a cai installed.

my buddy has an ebay cai, been working great for him for 40k miles. i wouldn't recommend running nitrous with it, but its seriously the smallelst thing to worry over.