Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Intake ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
My airbox came with these 2 drain holes in the bottom. I can't recall ever seeing a oem airbox that didn't have drain holes.
Thanks for the photo! Now I'm going to have to open mine up again since I definitely never noticed them before. They look too small to help much with a water covered air intake, but I suppose every little bit helps.

-----------------------------LATER-----------------------------------

Having seen the photo, I was able to locate those two holes by touch rather than having to open up the box. Though without knowing where to feel, I probably wouldn't have recognized them as holes from touch alone -- they really are pretty small. At least, now I'm aware they're there -- thanks again !

PS. Now I know about them, I'm considering closing one or both off -- not sure under what conditions they would become useful (overnight air-box condensation?) Something else to ponder!

Last edited by TrevorS; 09-19-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Update after checking my air box
Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On my XB with TRD springs the water would need to be 20" deep (way above the door sills) to even cover the intake hose end if placed high behind the bumper vent. Because of those holes and the intake to airbox junction being far from air-tight, there probably wouldn't be enough vacuum to pull water up into the airbox anyway. Now if you were to effectively seal the entire intake and airbox connection, those holes should be enlarged if you plan on driving through very deep water.

OTOH, as I've said before, the best course of action to avoid the risk of hydro-lock is simply to avoid deep water crossings with your CAI fitted XB.

If you're really worried about hydro-locking your engine here is another CAI alternative:

Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vlad1024
If I remember correctly there are a few small holes in the bottom of the air box.
Just wanted to acknowledge you were right !

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Having seen the photo, I was able to locate those two holes by touch rather than having to open up the box. Though without knowing where to feel, I probably wouldn't have recognized them as holes from touch alone -- they really are pretty small. At least, now I'm aware they're there -- thanks again !

PS. Now I know about them, I'm considering closing one or both off -- not sure under what conditions they would become useful (overnight air-box condensation?) Something else to ponder!
Spent time searching references and it appears there's typically one drain hole in auto air-filter boxes, and sure enough, there's exactly one on the underside of my Eclipse air filter canister as well -- took some hunting to spot just now. Guess Toyota decided to play safer with two, so I've decided to live dangerously by closing off one. Between my air intake and bypass mods, I could probably close off both, but since they're located at the lowest portion of the exit side of the box, it's probably best to allow any possible water accumulation to escape directly. Thanks for the heads up !
Old 10-03-2011, 04:51 AM

good info
Old 10-03-2011, 04:55 AM

That's funny My wife is the same way. I did remove the emissions filter and made a custom plug for the silencer box. No significant performance gains (maybe a slightly better throttle response) but did notice that the MPGs went up a little.