Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My Homebrew CAI Version II :)!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My Homebrew CAI Version II :)!

I saw TRD had introduced an OE air box based CAI for the 2011 (also compatible with earlier xB2), and felt compelled to raise the ante' on my original air box based CAI . I kept a few inches of my original 3" aluminum flex duct at the entry to the air box to accommodate attachment, but then ran 3" PVC to a 3" to 4" flare wedged at the top of my TRD inlet and angled towards it. Then I made a 3" PVC pipe to fit between the TB and the air-box outlet with a couple flexible couplers and clamps. Took a test run and it's happy as a clam, so I took some photos before insulating the TB pipe. Not fancy, but it works for me -- most expensive components were the two couplers !

Name:  xBPVCintake_1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  62.2 KB
Name:  xBPVCintake_2.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  61.2 KB
Name:  xBPVCintake_3.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  xBPVCintake_6.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  23.0 KB
Name:  xBPVCintake_7.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  79.0 KB
Name:  xBPVCintake_8.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  48.4 KB
Name:  xBPVCintake_9.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  58.7 KB
Name:  xBPVCintake_10.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  52.5 KB

It's OK to laugh, I'll try not to take it too personally !

Last edited by TrevorS; 07-11-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All done, eat your heart out TRD !

Name:  xBPVCintake_12.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  76.7 KB
Old 07-13-2011, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doesn't look half bad honestly. and the price is definitely right. feel anything on the butt dyno? how's the sound?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did this on my old truck, nothing to laugh at. If it works it saved you tons of money.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
doesn't look half bad honestly. and the price is definitely right. feel anything on the butt dyno? how's the sound?
I installed the flexible aluminum duct intake pipe within a couple weeks of buying the car and it was a big breathing improvement over the OE snorkel. This version has a shorter more direct path, smoother walls, and the flare is right at and angled towards the TRD inlet. With just that pipe, breathing seemed further improved and when leaned on, inlet air rush is audible.

I had the intake pipe installed for near a week before TB pipe install and basic checkout. The TB pipe is definitely working properly, but I haven't played with it yet. Regarding noise, I insulate my piping both to help keep the air cool (also protects PVC against engine heat) and to damp resonances. The aluminum intake used to bellow when leaned on, the insulation made it sound much better (IMO) -- lower pitched. The insulated PVC intake is also low pitched, but now the air itself is more audible !

Originally Posted by SamCarroll
i did this on my old truck, nothing to laugh at. If it works it saved you tons of money.
Fortunately, these things are really pretty simple, the only critical aspects are avoiding air leaks after the MAF and allowing for engine motion. I ported and smoothed the piping interior as needed and used the slowest curves I could fit for best flow. The only real stress is at the TB pipe with both those couplings trying to redirect it in the opposite direction -- however, that's 1/4" thick 3" PVC, I doubt it'll have a problem. I'm expecting it to work pretty well !
Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gave it a try on the hill approaching my development in fourth gear (30 to 45+ mph) and I think it may be pulling a little harder than before, though it was already doing pretty well. I also noticed the engine was responsive to more pedal travel than before, which indicates the intake manifold is drawing more air than before within the torque band. Fifth on that hill seemed a little stronger too. The sound on the hill was a fairly low growl which is pretty normal for it, but I notice the sound level is generally a little higher and I'm guessing that's due to loss of the TB pipe Helmholtz Resonance Chamber. I'm actually a little sorry to lose that because it boosts the stealth aspect of my xB2 (also acts to smooth midrange air flow past the MAF, not sure what if any performance effect that has), but it would be a real mess to fit back in with the new setup. In any case, so far so good !
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Fortunately, these things are really pretty simple, the only critical aspects are avoiding air leaks after the MAF and allowing for engine motion. I ported and smoothed the piping interior as needed and used the slowest curves I could fit for best flow. The only real stress is at the TB pipe with both those couplings trying to redirect it in the opposite direction -- however, that's 1/4" thick 3" PVC, I doubt it'll have a problem. I'm expecting it to work pretty well !
when i made mine for my truck i used black PVC and you honestly couldnt even tell by the look of it. When i had it custom tuned i had the tuner check the filter and he said there was no signs of air leak or any other signs to notate that it was faulty or bad in any way. He actually was impressed.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be darned -- just noticed in that last photo my front right hood bumper is missing ! Must have had it turned just a little too high and knocked it out while working under the hood. Just hunted for it down there, but there are a couple holes big enough for it to fall through -- nothing like an "opportunity" to visit the dealer .
Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that should be a $6.00 part. no big deal.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No doubt you're right, I just hate having to spend money due to goofs !

Originally Posted by SamCarroll
when i made mine for my truck i used black PVC and you honestly couldnt even tell by the look of it. When i had it custom tuned i had the tuner check the filter and he said there was no signs of air leak or any other signs to notate that it was faulty or bad in any way. He actually was impressed.
Cool ! Haven't seen any black PVC, only black ABS plastic. That's neat it turned out so well -- congrats !
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My $3.45 replacement hood "cushion" arrived at the dealer yesterday, is installed, and the above photos updated. Looks much better without important pieces missing and now I don't have to worry about damaging the right eyelid paint when closing the hood. Lowered both another 1/2 rotation to hopefully avoid recurrence.

As far as the mod, it's doing great !
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VERY nice work!!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably qualifies for most folks as a bit bizarre, but bottom line is it works. Thanks much dude !
Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

You put the word Hot in Hot mess.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks ! I had to look that one up in the urban dictionary -- I'm hoping this is the definition you had in mind !

1. hot mess (11358 up, 2863 down)

When ones thoughts or appearance are in a state of disarray but they maintain an undeniable attractiveness or beauty.

Although Nichole had just awakened, her boyfriend thought she was stunning - she was a hot mess.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member

Hey nice intake I just got my Trd drop in filter today and I have been drawing designs for this lol what did you use for the connector from air box to throttle body where the hose comes in on the side? I love homemade stuff it's so much more cost effective.

Last edited by sjthompson01; 02-17-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: wrong wording
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Hey Im thinking about doing this and wanted to know what the pvc elbow was called and where you got it. I looked at home depot the other day and couldn't find anything with that extra hole on the side like that one.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member

You have to drill a hole and either cement a piece in or you can get a threaded/ glue in adapter to screw one in and use a rubber groumet. Just take your factory piece with you so you can get the right size for the vacum. autozone sells the silicone couplers for cheap by spectre, you will need 1 with a reducer and 1 straight. I would use a 45 bend drain pipe not schedual 40 its thinner and the size is right on the money. I bought all the stuff to do it but a guy swapped me his ingen cai for my trd drop in filter so back to the store it went lol.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM
SL Member

I drive a honda fit now but I have a home made CAI that cost me $25, and $20 was the filter lol. I will take pics next time I go outside.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

The fit is GO!!

Quick Reply: My Homebrew CAI Version II :)!