Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My Homebrew CAI Version II :)!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Just to ask, why wouldnt you have made a true cold air and bypass the box? i know it has the filter but IMO i would've set it up with a filter at the end of the piping and have go straight into the TB, it seems like you just re made the plastic crap that Toyota put in which goes out of the OEM box. I'm not saying its a bad idea by any means, just think you should've run the piping through the whole thing and not have it dis jointed at the air box
Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 PM
SL Member

Here is my home depot CIA

Sorry it's so dirty but it's just PVC pipe that I painted silver. Seems to work great.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sjthompson01
Hey nice intake I just got my Trd drop in filter today and I have been drawing designs for this lol what did you use for the connector from air box to throttle body where the hose comes in on the side? I love homemade stuff it's so much more cost effective.
Just saw this thread had come up again and so am trying to respond to interested folks !

If you look at the photos of the exposed PVC, you'll see I used two pieces of 3" ID PVC to give me approaching 90 degrees total, any error being taken up by the silicon adapters, especially the one at the TB.

Originally Posted by ezekielguy86
Hey Im thinking about doing this and wanted to know what the pvc elbow was called and where you got it. I looked at home depot the other day and couldn't find anything with that extra hole on the side like that one.
The PVC came from Lowes and I had to drill the hole in the elbow to accept the valve cover breather pipe. Can't remember exactly what the 3" ID pieces were, I bought several pieces, decided what actually worked, and returned the others for refund.

You have to drill a hole and either cement a piece in or you can get a threaded/ glue in adapter to screw one in and use a rubber groumet. Just take your factory piece with you so you can get the right size for the vacum. autozone sells the silicone couplers for cheap by spectre, you will need 1 with a reducer and 1 straight. I would use a 45 bend drain pipe not schedual 40 its thinner and the size is right on the money. I bought all the stuff to do it but a guy swapped me his ingen cai for my trd drop in filter so back to the store it went lol.
Due to the thickness of the PCV I used reducers at both ends, straight would have required compression and that provides an iffy seal.

Originally Posted by nonfacter1
Just to ask, why wouldnt you have made a true cold air and bypass the box? i know it has the filter but IMO i would've set it up with a filter at the end of the piping and have go straight into the TB, it seems like you just re made the plastic crap that Toyota put in which goes out of the OEM box. I'm not saying its a bad idea by any means, just think you should've run the piping through the whole thing and not have it dis jointed at the air box
Don't know what you have in mind by "true" CAI, but mine is indeed a true CAI. Doesn't matter where the filter is located (that's a question of form preference), as long as it draws colder air. Personally, I like the convenience of having the air filter located handily in the engine compartment. That's entirely up to you, but there's no question whatsoever that mine is a true CAI! Whether or not you prefer something different is perfectly fine and not an issue for me !
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member

Sweet man looks nice you should sand down all the female ends so it looks smoother on the outside or wrap it in insulation so it hides it and helps it . nice job.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
SL Member

Sweet man looks nice you should sand down all the female ends so it looks smoother on the outside or wrap it in insulation so it hides it and helps it . nice job.
I was thinking about wrapping it but we will see.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dstock1088
I was thinking about wrapping it but we will see.
Thanks guys ! Last step in the mod was to insulate it (just like the intake pipe to the air box). I confined porting to the interior of the pipes (and yes, they are all ported )!

Name:  xBPVCintake_7.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  79.0 KB

Last edited by TrevorS; 03-07-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 PM

How are people getting that TRD vented grill on the the bumper? Toyota dealership i assume???
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-26-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LimoBox
How are people getting that TRD vented grill on the the bumper? Toyota dealership i assume???
The TRD part (not Toyota) is P/N PTR03-52084 and is named "TRD cold air inlet". It'll be a special order item, but try a dealer first. Note that this part only fits the 2008 through 2010 model years.