Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New clutch = 'VSC OFF' & CEL

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steve60
TC & XB are both 100amp Alternators. They could be different..................

I like the "why the hell" part. Worthless puke comes to mind.

1K for an alternator, around $156 my cost for a reman & 1 hour in time.... 1K is about what I make a week.

that question from ASM left me speechless.

over a grand at the dealer ...

OR...

stock alternator from a totalled xB in ohio: $74 shipped
new serp belt: $33
two hours of 91DA9's time: two guinness'

dealer called back today to ask if we'd do a ride along w/ tech until the stalling happened again. gladly. also still tried to blame the clutch. i once again posed the question of "how??" ASM and Service Direc both vaguely said "they've seen it happen before with performance clutches" and pointed out that the clutch is unforgiving. it's a stage 1 competition clutch. of course it's more unforgiving than the stock clutch. then they said, "if the car was stalling when driven at a maintained speed then it would be a different issue." um, hi, welcome to the conversation, that is exactly what is happening.

i feel like i'm talking to a tree stump when these guys call me yet want to make them get it right just for the sake of principle.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM

update (are you guys bored yet?)... this is becoming more of a (poor) review of Koons Scion of Westminster than anything else...

did ride-along with tech (very nice guy) for an hour. contrary to what ASM told us, the tech himself does not believe this is clutch related at all but knows there is a problem because the car has thrown 5 engine failure codes... unfortunately we can't get the car to do it while the tech happens to be in it so tech is stumped. after ride-along, we asked the ASM, "What next?" mind you, we still have no diagnosis much less a solution. he said we can pay for the diagnostic and take the car, and bring it back when the stall happens again. i'm a.) not going to pay for a diagnostic on a warrantied car, and b.) not going to pay for a diagnostic that resulted in no diagnosis, and c.) i'm not going to pay for a diagnostic with no diagnosis so it can happen again so i pay another diagnostic.

walked out of dealership without car. looking to call higher-ups, possibly at Toyota/Scion corporate (would that even help?). any advice or bomb-making tactics would be useful. (jk on the latter!)
Old 08-26-2009, 12:54 PM

update: Dealer now being helpful, Scion corporate being ridiculous.

Lemon law attorney... contacted!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, sounds like hell!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

best of luck to you!

my wifes 05 corolla has a issue where it wont start after being drivin for a while, turned off and then attempt to start again within the next 45 min or so. its a sparatic issue not all the time. well after she was left stranded at college late one night we dropped it off at toyota for a troubleshoot. I printed the service bulletin regarding the issue and multiple forums with people having the same issue, even provided a link to a video of someone having the same problem.

They "could not replicate the issue" so long story short it sat at toyota for 5 days, they told me i had to pay the diagnostic fee, i told them to shove it up their rear and called toyota corp. yelled at the guy there, they waived the fee and then when we went to pick itup they still gave us crap trying to charge.

It was a simple fuel pump problem. but that just goes to show they would rather keep their heads up their asses than simply fix the problem

Sorry for the threadjack and good luck!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:23 PM

UrDoneSRH... what a story. i'm so DONE with Toyota/Scion it's not even funny...

car is at dealer for the third time now, for same issue. they are all out of ideas and want to tear apart front end to dig deeper. Scion corp won't authorize it under our warranty and us paying $1200+ in diagnostic fees alone for the disassemble is just... not happening. i f*cking refuse. i refuse because we pay a monthly car payment to have a car that is under warranty.

we have two children under 5, i wonder how Scion will like it when our car stalls in an intersection and us and our kids get t-boned/seriously injured because they won't pay $1200 to figure out what kind of electronic problem is causing this. i'm not a lawsuit kind of person, but, that to me smells like a hell of a lawsuit.

when you buy a $60 blender and it doesn't work, manufacturer replaces it. but when you buy a $20k vehicle that carts around children, you get told "too bad so sad"?

i
don't
think
so.

when we get the car back tomorrow and it's still not fixed, we'll be negatively reviewing Scion on our own car, in white shoe polish!

end rant.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Car is still at the dealership, now they're saying they've figured the problem out and that I somehow didn't 'properly connect the ground strap to the transmission'. Here's my problem with this diagnosis: Master Tech at the dealership told me he already check every ground and relay the FIRST time we took the car in. I checked all the grounds with a VOM after we started having problems and brought it to them the SECOND time. Everything was normal except for the alternator signal. Let's look at the symptoms:

Engine Failure - Every gear only after car warms up, does not occur at idle
CEL & Codes - Doesn't always come on after engine failures, codes vary
Alternator - voltage jumps between 0 and 14
Battery - Anytime there is an engine failure, the battery is left completely dead
Interior Dash Lights - Sometimes flicker on and off during engine failure

Once this all starts, it does not stop until the car either idles for a short period of time(few minutes) or it is either shut off completely and then jump started, then it starts all over again a few miles down the road.

I guess the only questions I have left would be, (1)how could a ground strap all this and (2)how could I improperly connect a ground? I mean I've disconnected, cleaned, and reconnected them all twice now.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:11 AM
SL Member

From reading all of this it sounded like it was some sort of grounding problem. It should have been the first thing they looked for.

I have seen the same thing happen on other cars.
Just weird what one little ground can do.

I had this happen on a turbo Mazda3 and it took me a while to figure it out.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hypnotik_xB
From reading all of this it sounded like it was some sort of grounding problem. It should have been the first thing they looked for.

I have seen the same thing happen on other cars.
Just weird what one little ground can do.

I had this happen on a turbo Mazda3 and it took me a while to figure it out.
That's what they've come back and said it was...Car is running fine since they replaced the battery, but I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by 91DA9
Having the same problems all over again, except now the car won't start. Pretty sure the 30+ hours of consistent driving from AZ to MD fried the alternator. Anyone know if there's any difference between the alternators on 05 tC's and our xB's?
It sounds like a problem with the ckp, that would cause the no start. Comp needs the crankshaft position sensor to start. Best way to tell is to take it to a shop and have them hook up a scanner. If the car reads no rpm while trying to start thats a give away. It could be a loose connection, or a number of things with the ckp. Dont be quick to shoot the sensor as bad. This is where a diagnostic tech would chase down and identify the problem. As far as the alt. goes check how if they have the same amps between the 05 on our 08 xb. Mounting brackets could be different also. Best of luck!
Old 09-19-2009, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by 91DA9
That's what they've come back and said it was...Car is running fine since they replaced the battery, but I guess we'll see what happens.
looks like they found the problem, good.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, all problems solved. Apparently it was all caused by a dirty ground lol. We've been driving around for a month now with zero problems.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Awesome news! Now bring that xB of yours out to the meet this Sunday! Hope to see you there.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Hey mate,

Not sure if you go this issue resolved or not, the last post was in august. I had the same thing happen to me and it turned out to be a defective coil pack that was changed over at the dealership. Unfortunately, you voided the warranty by changing out the clutch, and I have no idea what a coil pack would cost, but it's something to check out.

This solution actually came about due to a bulletin that Toyota put out reacting to codes that cars were throwing. Good luck an I hope this is of some help if you haven't already resolved the problem.

Peace
Old 11-06-2009, 02:45 PM

hey sorry. day late and a dollar short. my browser had not updated the posts for some reason. Glad to hear that you got it figured out especially without having to go to the dealership again!