Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to try that out on Monday when I have a day off from work and school (only I have school that day, too). Seafoam... what is that anyway? Is it just a brand of fuel injector cleaner? Sorry, I'm only familiar with STP and brands like that.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aynthing above regular 87 gas really does nothing for the engine. The computer will actually pick up on the change and make adjustments that really negate the higher octain. It may give a better idle, but your right, in the long run it is not good for the engine. If you look at the vehicles that require high octain fuels, they have a different compression ratio and require higher octain.

Caution on "cleaning" the Mass Air Flow sensor. It is super sensitive and can be destroyed by cleaning. Pull it out and look at it. If it's clean, leave it alone. If it is dirty, you are most likely already getting an engine code for it and need another one.

Cleaning the injectors will do the most good for you. If you can find someone that can do a DIRECT INJECTOR CLEANING through the fuel rail with BG INJECTOR CLEANER, it is by far the very best product on the market today. It will clean the injectors. If not, then Red Line or Seafoam will do ok too.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i run 105 octane all day every day running a higher octane wont change a thing your a na ca with a rather low comp ratio if you want to waste the money on premium thats on you but wont do anything else
Old 10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RC-PILOT
Aynthing above regular 87 gas really does nothing for the engine. The computer will actually pick up on the change and make adjustments that really negate the higher octain. It may give a better idle, but your right, in the long run it is not good for the engine. If you look at the vehicles that require high octain fuels, they have a different compression ratio and require higher octain.
That's not necessarily true. There are a lot of variables, in addition to CR, that determine whether a specific engine requires or can benefit from higher octane fuel. I have a 99 Kawaski Vulcan 1500A with 8.6:1 compression ratio, no knock sensor and designed to run on 87 octane. This is a good example of an engine that probably won't benefit from higher octane fuel. In fact, it is arguable that running higher octane fuel in this engine could lead to excessive carbon deposits due to incomplete combustion. However, after adding a Dyna2000 ignition module and running a more aggressive timing advance curve, it can now benefit from 89 octane. If the CR were raised or FI added, it would then benefit from 93 octane and probably need to use a much less aggressive ignition timing curve.

In the case of our 2AZ-FE, we have a 9.6:1 CR engine designed to run on 87 octane but using a knock sensor to retard ignition timing as needed. Optimal ignition timing is right on the verge of spark knock and produces more power and lower emissions. To accomplish this the ECU runs as much timing advance as possible for the fuel, temps, weather, load, etc. IMHO, even a stock 2AZ-FE can benefit from 89 octane. Whether it can benefit from 93 octane is less certain but I wouldn't rule it out just because Toyota designed it to be compatible with 87 octane.

BTW, I agree that dirty injectors are the most likely cause of rough idle. Our oem injectors have 12 very tiny holes in the spray tip to produce a very fine fuel mist for better atomization. Most injectors use fewer, larger holes in the spray tip making ours more likely to become restricted or clogged.

Last edited by ScionFred; 10-20-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default idle

Originally Posted by rcdemon1
anyone having a problem with rough idle. started at 10,000 miles toyota says there is nothing wrong because the computer is not coming up with anything . even though they can see the motor shaking.
BS!!!! it's the cheap E-10 fuel the ethanol attracks water, use 97 octane has less ethanol in it or use fuel additive or stabilizer. But make sure it has no alcohol in it will make it worse.
Also if e-10 fuel sets for a couple weeks it starts to gel, Been there done that screwed up all my yard equip.

Can look it up under ethanol problems
Old 11-09-2010, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

error