Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Short of turbo or head porting, what else can be done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Would be interesting to know what the axle associated mods are and exactly why it's necessary to change the entire shift linkage (including cage).
AFAIK the axle mods are necessitated by a different length driver side axle and the new shift cage is so that you can actually engage 6th gear.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, as you're aware, I've worked with the xB2 five speed shift cage (the shifter assembly that mounts in the cabin), and as far as I can determine, it imposes no limitation on the motion at the transmission, it merely enables it. That is to say, in the xB2, the gate behavior is defined by the transmission, not the cage. The cables that connect the two do have modest slack and their transmission position is governed by the cable jacket mounts and the studs their actuator bushings tie to. I guess the layout of the cables may well be different at the transmission (though doesn't look so very much different from the photos), but can't help but wonder if the specified cable replacement is more a question of convenience than necessity. Course, one probably can't be certain one way or the other with out engaging in the conversion oneself. It could be that reuse of the originals require additional bracket preparation.

Personally, I'd find this very interesting to explore, but the combination of needing the car running and my typical cash strapped reality gets in the way !
Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In that case I wouldn't rule out the possibility of modifying the 5 spd cage and of course a used 6 spd cage should cost well under $500. Having never seen the shifter cage I incorrectly assumed that the cage had gates or insufficient cables to operate the 6 spd.

I doubt that WR will ever do an XB2 kit but if they do it will probably turn out much like the TC1 kit. Lots of interest but only 1 conversion in 6 months.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Due to the very different fitment, a tC cage couldn't be used in an xB2, but all it does is secure the shift lever and there's plenty of travel still available. Course, there's always the unknown of how much they may have changed the throw of the gate from the five speed, but I wouldn't expect there to be a need for anything significantly different. They may have changed the cable jacket securing technique at the transmision, but a bracket or two would probably accommodate that.

A bigger problem would be the xB2 mounts may be differently shaped from the tC in which case new ones would have to be made, and chances are the tC axles are different from the xB2 and so they would have to be attacked as well. Assuming xB2 stays on the map, I think waiting for the needed parts in the form of a 2AR-FE next gen is the only way to go. However, saw in the paper yesterday that all Scion sales total about half that of the Kia Soul, and Toyota is hoping the IQ will get things rolling again. If not, we may not see a 3rd gen xB.

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...urce=email-181

Last edited by TrevorS; 07-29-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: corrected the engine designation
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Market ebb and flow. Toyota is still reeling from the low-IQ owner-error caused unintended acceleration media feeding frenzy of 2010 and the Tsunami. The Kia Soul had a few extraordinary months of high sales. Judging by the intellect I see displayed daily by the average American, it's probably due to the Kia Soul "rats commercial". One very effective, award winning and entertaining advertisement. Scion's marketing campaign is incredibly lame by comparison. "take on the Machine"??? Really??? Is it 1963 again?

I dunno... Toyota has a long history of building very boring but reliable cars with few exceptions and they've obviously missed the mark with the TC, Xa, Xd and XB2. Oddly enough I never would have considered owning a XB1 but the XB2 struck all the right chords for me. I guess I'm not representative of the average American Scion shopper. I'd never consider owning a Kia Soul or Nissan Cube either.