Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Throttle Body Port and Polish DIY (56K friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zsanz
yeaaa im gonna do this over the weekend. nice write up.
Thanks, I hope you enjoy the mod.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this worth it for an automatic?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
this worth it for an automatic?
Hell yes! I'm running a slushbox. I wish I had before and after dynos but the seat of my pants tells me ~5whp for ~$10 in dremel bits. Just be careful not to remove too much material where the throttle plate seats and make sure you remove any metal shavings before reinstalling. Looking at the entire intake tract, the TB appears to be the most restrictive point.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks^^ i will be completely honest. the terminolgy has me lost. whats a TB? and where is this thing we are to polish? is it easy to remove and place back? My new scion has almost 2k miles. Im fine with interior work. but engine wise....whats a dremel? 400 wet? man I'm gettin my noob on hard today.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi, dude -- TB is short for Throttle Body, but frankly, the questions you are asking regarding the mechanics and materials of porting and polishing strongly suggest this is a mod you should skip. It's not that it's difficult to do, but it's precision machining in nature and a far cry from most other mods discussed on this site. If you're not confident in your abilities regarding such an operation, it's highly risky to attempt it.

Last edited by TrevorS; 03-04-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ What he said. ^^
Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
^^ What he said. ^^
nuff said.installed a CAI and that was fun. but this looks like if even slightly messed up could cause serious damage. so maybe i'll look around to see if a shop can do it around here.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nuff said.installed a CAI and that was fun. but this looks like if even slightly messed up could cause serious damage. so maybe i'll look around to see if a shop can do it around here.
It is pretty easy to screw this up if you haven't done similar work before. A replacement TB isn't cheap and you'd have to buy a dremel (rotary tool), cutting bits, stone bits, sanding bits, wet/dry sandpaper, etc. You'd probably be better off adding another bolt-on or having a shop tackle the TB port/polish.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, dude ! This kind of operation is simply not "messed up" tolerant. "Small" mistakes are likely to create the very flow turbulence you're trying to reduce, whereas serious mistakes will probably require replacing the TB !
Old 03-28-2010, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Porting of engine components is a tried technique with many vehicles over the years. There's no question such a modification shouldn't be tackled by anyone who isn't very capable and comprehending of what he's doing, but unless you and your ilk are going to go onto every vehicle enthusiast forum and try to shut down all discusion of such procedures, then I fail to see why you should take that stance here.

Anyone can modify their vehicle in such a fashion as to put themselves or others in danger. That goes with the territory, but an accurate P&P of the TB will not accomplish that. The purpose of vehicle enthusiast forums is to learn about and share ways to enhance one's vehicles. This unquestionably qualifies. The appropriate warnings are present in the thread -- the unskilled should not participate.

PS. Your off-the-cuff criticism of a forum member is not especially appreciated. Please don't come here and put people down.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:19 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Its a DIY, anyone who does it should be aware of the risks you take with any modification to a vehicle. I agree with Trevor, bashing the op is unnecessary toyotamastertechnician.

Scionfred, you may want to modify your original post to put "NOT responsible/liable for any damage caused by trying this mod" so some retard doesn't try to blame you for something or worse take legal action against you.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Its a DIY, anyone who does it should be aware of the risks you take with any modification to a vehicle. I agree with Trevor, bashing the op is unnecessary toyotamastertechnician.

Scionfred, you may want to modify your original post to put "NOT responsible/liable for any damage caused by trying this mod" so some retard doesn't try to blame you for something or worse take legal action against you.
putting out a warning that this is dangerous is bashing,, right, ok,well I removed my posts, fair enough, but you can call unskilled people "retards".. thats not exactly nice..

please people don't do this mod as you could hurt yourself or others if the throttle malfunctions,,
Old 03-28-2010, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotamastertechnician
not meaning to put people down at all.. a lot of people look for little hop up ideas on any forum.. but just because you think your "skilled" as you put it doesn't mean you have a clue what your doing..

you should have a professional who is "skilled" do this mod is my point, The link that was posted is somebody who does it, and yes their expensive, but liable and professional...

working with a computer controlled motor with a demel and sand paper is hacking,, not modifying.. big difference.. very dangerous...

I have seen many throttle issues after people try this stuff, and not talking about these cars,, fords, chevy's etc.. I have seen MANY throttles stick in mustangs after people screw with them... and there just simple butterflies with springs..
I hear what you're saying and such a caution certainly belongs in a thread such as this.

Nonetheless, from back in the days of the Duce Coupe and earlier , owners haven't wanted to pay the price of "professional" engine work if it could be reasonably avoided. Of course, the sticking point is "reasonably". This is what has led to many vehicle owners making "machining" mods and I guess, with variable results (as you point out).

I don't present myself as some master machinest, and so "hack" is probably a fair criticism, but I do have a pretty good understanding of what I'm doing and so although the result may not be as perfect as it could be, it's at least reasonably close.

For those of us who have limited budgets and yet reasonable tool skills, it's possible to elicit performance gains from our vehicles that would otherwise be out of reach. I have accomplished this previously with my Mitsubishi Eclipse, and am willing to take reasonable opportunities when they present themselves on my xB2.

You've clearly pointed out the average person shouldn't go near this kind of mod. No question you're correct. But over time, a person may develop "skills" that allow them to better and more safely pursue such mods. Thanks for your interest and I hope readers weigh your inputs appropriately, but I definitely believe this DIY belongs on this forum and is unquestionably a contribution.

Thanks !
Old 03-28-2010, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotamastertechnician
putting out a warning that this is dangerous is bashing,, right, ok,well I removed my posts, fair enough, but you can call unskilled people "retards".. thats not exactly nice..

please people don't do this mod as you could hurt yourself or others if the throttle malfunctions,,
Pity that you removed your previous posts, I wish I could read them. Of course this type of mod isn't for everyone but it isn't that hard or that dangerous for those with the necessary knowledge, experience and skill. The first time I attempted mods like this was in 1975 on a 1971 Yamaha Mini Enduro 60 when I was 12. I ported the cylinder, head, carb and rotary disc. I also converted the problematic oil injection system to pre-mix. I've never had any problems with my work. More than I can say for Toyota engineers these days...

Thank you for your cautionary warning to those lacking the necessary experience, knowledge and skills to perform such mods.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
It's sad but you're probably right. In today's world where people so often seek to dodge their personal responsibility, I should include a disclaimer so that some tool doesn't attempt this mod, ignoring all of my instructions and warnings, bugger it and then look for a scapegoat to pay for his own incompetence. I can easily envision a certain Toyotamastertechnician testifying on their behalf...
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did I miss this? Yaay for an opportunity to bust out my dremel and tinker!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey dude ! Guess I can't say I'm surprised you posted, but presuming you read the previous posts, this mod isn't something to take lightly. It's not hard, but it takes serious attention and care. So, if you're in that frame of mind, by all means -- have at it ! As you can see from my Sig, I did it and the benefit is unquestionable IMO. (For others, be ultra circumspect about this mod!)
Old 08-26-2011, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But of course. If I didn't have fairly extensive practice machining items with my dremel, I probably wouldn't touch it. Proper care and precaution will be taken!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
But of course. If I didn't have fairly extensive practice machining items with my dremel, I probably wouldn't touch it. Proper care and precaution will be taken!
Just one more word of caution. Be very careful how much you remove from the valve seat area. I think I took a bit too much. I loved it when I was still N/A but with boost it now feels much like I imagine it would feel with a DBW controller set to it's most aggressive setting. I'm used to it but when others drive my car they need to be cautioned about how sensitive the throttle is.