Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TSUDO 2008 xB/xB2 dual fireball exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shirohako
Just spoke to Tony with Speed-Element regarding the fitment issues with the 5 AXIS lip kit and the Tsudo dual exhaust system.

They are aware of the issue but have no way of re-designing the exhaust system without a test vehicle. I explained to him that alot of us are interested in buying but don't want to hassle modifying it. Anyone willing to take their car in?

Presently they have about 20 (?) dual exhaust systems in stock. I told him if he were to "modify them to fit" a 5AXIS kit, he would probably sell all of them!

I was thinking of the Borla system (and still may buy it) but it's hard to justify spending that much for just tailpipes/tips.

Sorry for the long rant, but one last thing, the Tsudo exhaust is street-legal in Ca. according to Tony. If I understood him correctly, as long as it is below 95 db(?),not hanging down low and the cat is left alone you're good to go. His exhaust system meets all these criteria. Just sharing.
Thats good to hear! I would volunteer mine but I'm a little far. I, too have been thinking about the borla duals. BUT I'll wait.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone with the five axis kit please volunteer their car to Tony at Speed Element.
I need duals!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seen this on ebay for 249.00
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DREWxB08
Originally Posted by TrevorS

Now, if I can just get back to install and tryout mine ! (Thanks for the quick assist for DREWxBOB, Speed-Element !)
DUDE we gotta get you home!!!! That kit is just waiting to be installed!!!!!!!

Once your home and getting that exhaust installed please let me know what you think, i expect pic's and a review LOL
Finally got home Saturday night! (The exhaust has been waiting for me since early June!)

Spent Sunday on window ventguard installation (two cars) and started on the Tsudo dual exhaust Monday (painting). Expecting to be done Tuesday. Car needs a wash !

PS. I notice the kit provides two fewer nuts than bolt threads (including the two rear hanger threads.) If I'm actually two short, I'm hoping the tow hook hardware will cover the shortfall. It would be nice if a parts list was included so I could be sure nothing was missing.

The kit includes a stack of washers, but I don't see any indication of where they are used (outside of two per each of the two bushings.) At the moment, I'm guessing they're for adjusting the gap between the resonator exits and the body (install as needed.) Seems like the washers opposite the nut side of the bushings tend to slip over the hanger bends and down towards the resonators -- don't know what the solution is to that! (These observations are all pre-install.)

Any comments Speed-Element?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got the old exhaust off the car -- those bolts at the axle flange required my 1/2" breaker bar, and that was with low miles! Freeing the rear hanger from the donut was also a pill, but it came!

Thought I'd take a quick photo of the painted pipes so you'd know what I'm talking about. It's just the two rears.

Looks like the bushing to chassis bolts go into threaded holes, so I guess the nut count should be just fine . I do think it would be a good idea to have a parts list though!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Nice! I can't wait to see how this looks with the painted pipes!
I really like this kit, but I'm still waiting for more options. I kinda want the best "bang for my buck", if you will.

I've already sourced out hi-temp powdercoating and I have a powdercoating guy. :D
Old 10-01-2008, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can't wait till you have pic installed. i've seen many pics even in person i like the idea and it looks really clean but the only thing i didn't like about the exhaust is that chrome/stainless steel part that you've painted. i think it'll look sick
Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some quality pieces right there!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wwll, as you guys have apparently figured out, my purpose is to make the interconnection and mounting stiff disappear (not worrying about the cat-to-axle section.) Hence, only the resonators and exits appear as the original stainless teel, all else behind the axle is flat-black. Powder coat would no doubt be better, but a spray can of hi-temp and a 91% isopropyl cleaning will hopefully at least get me close.

In a way, it's kind of silly since you have to be fairly low before you notice the crossover pipe and resonator hangers, but still -- these cars are intended to be personalized, no?

In any case, I ran out of time on Tuesday, so it's looking like Wednesday, for install completion !
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All done! Just letting the car idle while I post this, then I'll take it for a drive and get lunch !

In terms of appearance and fit , I'd say it turned out pretty well.

The only thing I'm noticing is the driver's side tip doesn't extend out from under the rear quite as far as the passenger side, though the left-to-right centering appears excellent. I was able to get the tip clearance to match without shims.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I'm liking the Tsudo Fireball Dual Exhaust very much. For the first time, the engine sounds and exhaust sound seem integrated, like they all belong. Just a little bit of rumble to balance out the package !

Seems quicker too, though no doubt that's just my imagination at work . Definitely more enjoyable to drive now.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is sweeeeeeeeeet. i'd bet many others will follow your doing and just spending an extra $6- $9 for paint is will worth it. great job
Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, it's just a question of having the patience really, rather than going for a quick install! Still, it's the rare person that will ever see those pipes and hangers anyway! However, I prefer it this way .
Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Well, I'm liking the Tsudo Fireball Dual Exhaust very much. For the first time, the engine sounds and exhaust sound seem integrated, like they all belong. Just a little bit of rumble to balance out the package !

Seems quicker too, though no doubt that's just my imagination at work . Definitely more enjoyable to drive now.

I seconed that !!!!!!

Man love the look of the pipes Black A+++++ Idea

Def look's awsome on your xB2

Congrats and def enjoy!!!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Sorry, it looks like we were too late to help TrevorS out, but we do have instructions posted on our website.
It will clear up the confusion some have about the mounting of the exhaust.
http://www.speed-element.com/instruc...ll_catback.pdf
Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the note speed-element !

Just a follow up:

I sent an email to speed-element inquiring as to the recommended minium vertical spacing between the exhaust tips and the rear bumper fascia. He responded they had used 1/4" with their car, and that 1/2" should definitely be safe. He also said the tips need to extend at least a little beyond the fascia.

My spacing without shims is about 3/16", so I've decided to add washers to approximate 1/2". When I tried to do this, I found the provided shim washers have to small a center hole to install over the tow hook bolts (which are used to mount the hanger bushings.) So, I just bought eight M12 metric washers (12 cents each at Sears hardware) -- they fit correctly. So, that's something else for people to be aware of.

Also, I notice the passenger side bushing washer located away from the hanger nut had indeed slipped over the bend of the hanger while driving the car. The driver's side washer stayed in place due to close proximity of the bushing. Since I don't see a way to prevent this slippage, I guess I'm just going to have to glue the washer to the bushing.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was driving behind a bsp xb w/tusdo exhaust, me and a few friends completely see the chrome/stainless steel section so we did mention if that part is blacken out that'll be sweet like what trevors done
Old 10-08-2008, 02:37 AM

I just put mine on today. I like how it looks, but its a little to quit for me. Also I had to add 8 washers on the drivers side and 3 washers on the passenger side to make the gap from the bumper to the exhaust to be the same. Its only 1/4 inch gap. I guess we will see if it burns the bumper.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcdady099
I just put mine on today. I like how it looks, but its a little to quit for me. Also I had to add 8 washers on the drivers side and 3 washers on the passenger side to make the gap from the bumper to the exhaust to be the same. Its only 1/4 inch gap. I guess we will see if it burns the bumper.

I have had mine for months, No change in color or burnt spots on the bumper, give it some time and it will break in a little sound wise.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same here had mine 4 months. roughly 1/4 to 3/8 gap to bumper. used washers also. everything fine except I think it's too quiet also

Quick Reply: TSUDO 2008 xB/xB2 dual fireball exhaust