Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks to all of you for your condolences. It's really just a minor setback that happens to be a PITA because my second vehicle is a motorcycle. If I had a second car, it wouldn't be so bad. Since I don't, I spent much of today removing the turbo kit and reinstalling my CXR header and oem airbox, etc.

I haven't decided yet what to do next but a cast iron mani seems like the best option. The problem with that is having to change everything to fit the relocated turbo. It would be a lot easier to have the CXR mani welded, gusseted and braced or even have a new log mani made to the same dimensions from heavier tubing. This time I will brace the turbo and add a flex pipe into the DP or s-pipe.

BTW, I never liked my GSX. It was too small, the seats sucked, it had no torque and lots of lag. If I were to trade-in the XB, I'd be looking at the Lancer Raliart, WRX, Speed3 and GTI as possible replacements.

Edit: I contacted CXR about the mani and they offered to ship me a new one for $100 shipped. I really can't complain considering the extra DP, clamps, couplers, etc. that Kevin sent free and the low-ball price I paid for the kit. I should have braced the mani/turbo but I listened to bad advice from HP Racing instead. Live and learn...

Last edited by ScionFred; 08-06-2009 at 03:04 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-06-2009, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MazdaSpeed 3's are beasts, haha. I love driving those cars. (My occupation lets me drive many cars)

EDIT: Forgot to ask, you gonna send the pics to Kevin to see what he thinks?

EDIT #2: I see you edited as I made my edit, haha. Anyways, yeah, you shouldn't have listened to that performance shop. Yeah, I know it sounds weird coming from someone you don't know, but IMO, with all that weight and higher EGTs, you should have just braced it for peace of mind.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
BTW, I never liked my GSX. It was too small, the seats sucked, it had no torque and lots of lag.
Good grief, if you hated everything about the car, what on earth possessed you to buy it? (Or did you actually ever have one? I'm thinking not.)
Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Good grief, if you hated everything about the car, what on earth possessed you to buy it? (Or did you actually ever have one? I'm thinking not.)
So you think that I would lie about owning a GSX? I traded a 87 Mustang GT for the GSX and despite the AWD and IRS, the GT was much more fun to drive and the GSX seats were too small for me.

Last edited by ScionFred; 08-06-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
MazdaSpeed 3's are beasts, haha. I love driving those cars. (My occupation lets me drive many cars)

EDIT: Forgot to ask, you gonna send the pics to Kevin to see what he thinks?

EDIT #2: I see you edited as I made my edit, haha. Anyways, yeah, you shouldn't have listened to that performance shop. Yeah, I know it sounds weird coming from someone you don't know, but IMO, with all that weight and higher EGTs, you should have just braced it for peace of mind.

I haven't driven a Speed 3 but it looks great on paper. Of course that's why I bought that GSX in 1990...

Hindsight... I think I'll see how much work and money it would take to add a cast iron manifold.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:39 AM

I dont think the XB was made to be fast. I had a Talon TSI and that car can easily be modified to run with the big boys.

I commend you on efforts to boost the xb but lets face it, it will never be fast. Thats why I own a c6 on nitrous.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I smoke evos and stis mustangs and stock non zo6 vettes it can be done its very easy
Old 08-09-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ponch
I dont think the XB was made to be fast. I had a Talon TSI and that car can easily be modified to run with the big boys.

I commend you on efforts to boost the xb but lets face it, it will never be fast. Thats why I own a c6 on nitrous.
Talon TSI can be easily modified to run with the big boys after you get past all the maintenance issues that make you the world's best mechanic, lol.

Honestly, any car can be made to go fast.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CXR manifold autopsy results: 16ga 304 and ____ty welds = FAIL. Heat wasn't the problem. I logged EGT today with stock airbox and CXR header and got the same EGT's as with the turbo installed. The Dezod or Vulcan log manifolds are dimensionally very similar to the CXR and would have been an easy substitution but I'd rather go cast iron than spend $400-500 for a 304 log mani that will probably crack in time unless the turbo is braced and flex pipe added.

New manifold ordered:

Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I haven't driven a Speed 3 but it looks great on paper. Of course that's why I bought that GSX in 1990...

Hindsight... I think I'll see how much work and money it would take to add a cast iron manifold.
The speed 3 is def an awesome car and worth every penny! My GF has one that we've modded some and had tuned by Ptuning. I say keep modding the box but if you end up with more failures then you should consider the 3
Old 08-09-2009, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
The speed 3 is def an awesome car and worth every penny! My GF has one that we've modded some and had tuned by Ptuning. I say keep modding the box but if you end up with more failures then you should consider the 3
The Speed 3 is a lot of car for the money, much like the XB and I really like that. I'd rather have a R32 but it's a lot more money for a little more refinement. I think I'll be happy with my boosted box when I get it finished. The new mani was only $110 shipped and all I need to make it work is a little cut/weld of the DP, some new silicone and maybe a charge pipe or two.

Edit: My box is so slooooooooow now it hurts! I've gone from smoking BMWs to getting smoked by soccer mom's in minivans...

Last edited by ScionFred; 08-09-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-09-2009, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lolz well good luck and show us pics after the bracing! I hope this works out for you!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

speed 3 is nice but falls short on mods a guy hhere had over 7grand in onee and it ran 5/10s faster then it did stock the direct injection really ruins the car the new wrx is a beast same with the new cobalt ss but who knows
Old 08-09-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Looks totally awesome Fred ! A few perhaps dumb questions. You say you capped off the OE radiator and installed the small center radiator. Are you just referring to ATF, engine coolant still being in your OE radiator? What forced the relocation of the ATF cooler?

You have a catback and the front cat is obviously gone, so I'm guessing you still have the center scuba (unless you installed a test pipe). Now the turbo is installed, what would you say the subjective difference is from the CRX header, presuming the scuba is still in place that is?
I was browsing the thread and noticed that I missed this post before. The new ATF cooler was installed for additional trans cooling because of the extra heat produced by the extra hp/tq. I could have added to the oem ATF cooler in the radiator but decided to bypass it and just use the B&M cooler.

I still have the scuba and #2 cat. The difference in power is night and day. At a bare minimum, I'd say the turbo added at least 50whp and torque. After I get the new manifold installed, I'll get it dynoed.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
speed 3 is nice but falls short on mods a guy hhere had over 7grand in onee and it ran 5/10s faster then it did stock the direct injection really ruins the car the new wrx is a beast same with the new cobalt ss but who knows
Wha? Ruins the car? Why would you say it ruins the car? I dont mean to get off topic but that doesnt make sense. Pretty much all the new turbo cars are going with DI for its better efficiency and safer power making properties. Money isnt all thats gonna make a car faster. I see a lot of people throwing big turbos on their Speeds and actually make less or around the same hp as my gf's stock K04. And best of all no lag. And definitely power til redline thanks to Cobbs AP. The only mods I havent seen yet for the Speed 3 are cams and an intake manifold (and even those may be out by now). Every other bolt on pretty much has an aftermarket replacement for the car. The car has great potential. Ok thats all I wanted to say. I just really like the car and would get one myself but Im happy enough with the box for now and I still get to drive the 3
Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Wha? Ruins the car? Why would you say it ruins the car? I dont mean to get off topic but that doesnt make sense. Pretty much all the new turbo cars are going with DI for its better efficiency and safer power making properties. Money isnt all thats gonna make a car faster. I see a lot of people throwing big turbos on their Speeds and actually make less or around the same hp as my gf's stock K04. And best of all no lag. And definitely power til redline thanks to Cobbs AP. The only mods I havent seen yet for the Speed 3 are cams and an intake manifold (and even those may be out by now). Every other bolt on pretty much has an aftermarket replacement for the car. The car has great potential. Ok thats all I wanted to say. I just really like the car and would get one myself but Im happy enough with the box for now and I still get to drive the 3
Direct injection is more complex and costly. Injectors have to be better due to the higher heat/pressure in combustion chamber, etc. It's good if the car is stock, but IMO, modding potential is a bit lower.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I smoke evos and stis mustangs and stock non zo6 vettes it can be done its very easy
What numbers do you run at the track?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:46 AM
SL Member

If you had that much into a speed3 and only ran that much faster then you had driver issues. I had a speed3 (actually traded it in for the xB) and DI does not ruin the car at all but is one of the strong points of it.

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Direct injection is more complex and costly. Injectors have to be better due to the higher heat/pressure in combustion chamber, etc. It's good if the car is stock, but IMO, modding potential is a bit lower.
This is bad information too. There are quite a few DI turbo cars out there with huge modding potential. Many don't understand DI at all.

Back on topic. The new manifold looks good. I'll definitely be going with a cast iron manifold when I start to turbo the xB.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hypnotik_xB
Back on topic. The new manifold looks good. I'll definitely be going with a cast iron manifold when I start to turbo the xB.
AFAIK, these are your choices of cast manifolds:

ATP Turbo:

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=BCS

Treadstone/Ancla:

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...5&phot_key=417

Godspeed Project:

http://www.godspeedproject.com/store...roducts_id=365

Found another cast manifold from SPA:

http://spaturbousa.com/home//index.p...emart&Itemid=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPA-T...Q5fAccessories

There are Treadstone and Godspeed clones on ebay for $100-$150 and I chose a Godspeed clone for better DP clearance. ATP appears to offset the turbo the furthest towards cyl #4 for more DP clearance, SPA and Godspeed are close and Treadstone places the turbo flange centered on the #3 exhaust port for the least DP clearance. Forget about running an internal WG with the Treadstone mani.

FWIW, I ordered some new parts today for build #2. I ordered some copper gaskets for the T3 flange, wastegate and manifold and some longer exh manifold studs.

Last edited by ScionFred; 08-19-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hypnotik_xB
This is bad information too. There are quite a few DI turbo cars out there with huge modding potential. Many don't understand DI at all.
I wasn't talking about bolt-ons. When I talk about modding potential, I'm talking about going for the big #'s. If that's still "bad information", then tell us why it is.

Quick Reply: The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!