Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the intercept method the way Aem original instruction were, I also have the resistors in since day one whether or not I needed them. As for the CXR exhuast it is a bit loud(not crazy loud) and fitment is not perfect. I had to get mine cut and extended in some spots so it would not bang into the subframe. Also added some hangers, I think its hit or miss like the turbo kits.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the CXR exhaust, had to cut the s-pipe in three places, shorten two spots and lengthen one. I still need to add a hanger near the rear axle, the exhaust bangs the axle going through dips and over speed bumps.

The car idles better than ever with the mishimoto thermostat. In cooler climates I will probably need to block air flow to the radiator when highway driving.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tainoxl
I did the intercept method the way Aem original instruction were, I also have the resistors in since day one whether or not I needed them. As for the CXR exhuast it is a bit loud(not crazy loud) and fitment is not perfect. I had to get mine cut and extended in some spots so it would not bang into the subframe. Also added some hangers, I think its hit or miss like the turbo kits.
Thanks, I sure hope I can fix my FIC problems soon. For my setup and DD use, it's the best piggy IMO. OTOH, if it doesn't work, it might be the worst...

I'm sorry to hear about the CXR fitment issues. I may have to go custom. Besides, I'd like to keep my TRD axle-back. Luckily there's a shop nearby that stocks 304 and does mandrel bending. 2.5" is fine for my setup.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by madmarx
I have the CXR exhaust, had to cut the s-pipe in three places, shorten two spots and lengthen one. I still need to add a hanger near the rear axle, the exhaust bangs the axle going through dips and over speed bumps.

The car idles better than ever with the mishimoto thermostat. In cooler climates I will probably need to block air flow to the radiator when highway driving.
You just killed plan B. CXR sells the s-pipe separately and I thought about using it with a custom scuba-delete into my TRD AB. Plan C is the 2.5" WR s-pipe into a custom scuba-delete into the TRD AB. I hope the WR s-pipe fits well. I haven't decided yet between a big resonator or a high flow cat for the center section. I loved the sound with just a header and the TRD AB but the turbo made it almost as quiet as oem again.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need to do some more testing but I think I may have found a solution to my FIC crank position sensor problems. Using an oscilloscope to test sensor inputs vs FIC outputs today, I experimented with varying resistance values between crk magi +/- and cam magi +/-. I only got to make a few WOT pulls hitting redline in 1st thru 3rd gear but there were no misfires or CELs.

Anyway, initial results look promising. Anyone having similar issues (PhantomXB, etc.) feel free to PM me for details.

Last edited by ScionFred; 03-06-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Part of the reason I had to cut the s-pipe may have been due to the alignment of the down pipe. When the turbo was installed the oem s-pipe was cut and a piece of flexable pipe was put in.

Custom exhaust is definantly the way to go, but for the price of the cxr kit on ebay, its worth doing a custom mod on the s-pipe. I used pieces of 3" exhaust coupler to hold the pieces in place while figuring out the alignment then i welded the couplers to the exhaust, ugly but very effective. The stock exhaust had heat shielding and the cxr did not so i used exhaust wrap to make up for the missing shielding and to cover up those ugly welds lol.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Too late. Based on what you said about the CXR S-pipe I went and ordered a WR S-pipe instead. It shouldn't be too hard to make a custom center section to connect the s-pipe to the TRD axle-back. OTOH, when I add it all up, I'll probably spend $800 for a custom 2.5" exhaust vs $300 + fitment mods for the CXR 3". Oh well, it's only money... <sigh>
Old 03-11-2010, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:

My FIC crank/cam position sensor issues appear to be fixed. I used variable resistors (potentiometers) between the crk/cam magi +/- wires and an oscilloscope to troubleshoot the issues. As far as I can tell the problem must have been the FIC picking up some background noise from my cam sensor and then sending a distorted signal to the ECU. I had to reduce the already low voltage cam signal way down to solve the issue.

The oscilloscope readings were very interesting. The oem crk sensor provides a +/- 10V analog sine wave and the FIC outputs a +/-5V digital wave form to the ECU. The oem cam sensor provides a +/-3V analog sine wave and the FIC outputs a +/-5V analog sine wave. Reducing the oem signal voltages has no effect on the FIC output. I can certainly see why the FIC has so many problems with various crk and cam sensors.

Anyway, my MAF and O2 maps are very good but my fuel map still needs some fine tuning. I may be pulling too much timing but it should be safe. Currently I'm pulling 1* for every 1.5psi of boost. The only oddity I see in my OBD logs are that the timing drops close to zero on upshifts. I'm not sure if this is normal or if the ECU is seeing some knock when the load increases with the taller gear.

Finally... almost done... but not really. I still have to install my GGP motor mount, WR S-pipe, have a custom mid-section exhaust fabbed, re-tune for it, change the ATF, re-locate the tranny cooler for better airflow, maybe a re-worked valve body, wheels, tires, etc, etc...
Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=ScionFred;3501171]Update:

My FIC crank/cam position sensor issues appear to be fixed.

Good to see you got things sorted out. Finally you can enjoy your setup. Good work. Now pics and vids.

Last edited by tainoxl; 03-11-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=tainoxl;3501421]
Originally Posted by ScionFred
Update:

My FIC crank/cam position sensor issues appear to be fixed.

Good to see you got things sorted out. Finally you can enjoy your setup. Good work. Now pics and vids.
I'm workin' on it... in between 14 hr work days and rain drops...
Old 03-14-2010, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The better it runs the more I want to spend on it. The more I spend on it the more I want spend on it. I'm afraid I'll come home one night to a modifiers intervention group wanting to tell me how my hobbie has turned into a serious mental disorder.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few of us have been meaning to talk to you about your problem but we've been too busy with our own...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tainoxl
Feels like i made this statement. I had to do all of this.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, I've got the car completely CEL-free, the FIC is finally working as good as the FIC can, my tune is 95% perfect (a tad rich), the car runs great and I'm still not satisfied. IMO it still needs wheels, tires, 2.5" or 3" exhaust, Dezod APR-X1, better seats, brakes, shocks, valve body, torque converter, etc.

I'd love to sell the complete kit but I'll part it out if I must. If anyone is interested, make me an offer on the car, turbo kit or any part of it that you want. The car has 34,000 miles on it, the turbo kit has about 5000 miles of use. Basically this project is taking up far too much of my time. I took a new job that works about 60 hours per week and I just don't have the time for this hobby any more. I could pay someone else to do the work but there are limits to how much money I'm willing to dump into a depreciating asset. I haven't decided yet on a replacement but I really like the Audi A3T S-line.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Okay, I've got the car completely CEL-free, the FIC is finally working as good as the FIC can, my tune is 95% perfect (a tad rich), the car runs great and I'm still not satisfied. IMO it still needs wheels, tires, 2.5" or 3" exhaust, Dezod APR-X1, better seats, brakes, shocks, valve body, torque converter, etc.

I'd love to sell the complete kit but I'll part it out if I must. If anyone is interested, make me an offer on the car, turbo kit or any part of it that you want. The car has 34,000 miles on it, the turbo kit has about 5000 miles of use. Basically this project is taking up far too much of my time. I took a new job that works about 60 hours per week and I just don't have the time for this hobby any more. I could pay someone else to do the work but there are limits to how much money I'm willing to dump into a depreciating asset. I haven't decided yet on a replacement but I really like the Audi A3T S-line.
Dude i think this is the worst news i have heard in a while. Seriously i am upset.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah come on. Your already dirty.

No I understand. For me the car is an expression. My interpritation of a subculture in american society. A rolling piece of art or not depending upon the person looking. A way to feed my addictive personality. If it were not for my solitary carefree lifestyle.....:? I would never be able to build a quiver of vehicles.

Good luck Fred, We'll be here when you get back. You know you'll get bored with a simple car.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Madmarx. I feel ya on the artistic expression aspect. I'm just so torn between the time required and my limited available time. The multitude of FIC issues hasn't helped and the %$#@! POS still doesn't work 100%. For the last 6 months this car has taken up most of my free time. It would be sooooo much easier if I had a garage and some help but it is what it is.

Should I stay or should I go now? -The Clash
Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I often find I get farther with a problem by doing nothing at all and coming back after some time away and meditation, rather than pushing on when fealing frustrated.

Luckily I have an old dodge pickup truck. When the car wants to act funny or traffic is too agressive, the dodge goes to work. Where do you drive or park an oversized vehicle in a city designed for micro vehicles? Anywhere you want to. Just try not to nock off any of the rust or dirt when you bang your door against it, LOL. Nobody ever wants to race, cut off or tailgate the dodge. And the turn signals are aparently more visable in the dodge. I hit the turn signal and start to move over and traffic parts like the red sea.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided to keep the XB for another year. I test drove a 2007 Audi A3 and didn't fall in love with it. It's a great car but didn't convince me that I had to have it. I still have a fair amount of work to finish my XB but it's running well now with only some minor tune issues. Mustb3Ds sold me his CXR exhaust and I'm having a hi-flow cat installed in place of the resonator. I'll have it 100% in a month or two.

I need a 2nd vehicle like that. Park it anywhere and dare aggressive morons to hit it. Reminds me of when I had a 87 Nissan 4x4 truck with 3" lift and 31's. Some rocket scientist decided that even though her lane ended, she could just merge into my lane at 60mph and I'd yield to her. It looked like about $2000 damage to her Civic and I had to clean some paint off my sidewalls.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey!! You scratched my anchor, and I just used up the last of that color paint, I hope you have insurance.

Quick Reply: The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!