Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Methinks you should stick to offering wheel and tire fitment advice.
True that.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:06 AM

Default My CXR Turbo story

It's Thanksgiving I'm thankful to finally get a day off.

My story starts out just like Scion Fred's, I bought a turbo kit!

Before I made the descision on the CXR kit I spent time searching all over the net and eBay piecing together the perfect diy kit. I had all the parts picked out mostly eBay knockoff suff but couldn't find a down pipe. But what is this, a complete turbo kit for my 2008 XB down pipe included all for $1500. This kit has every thing I wanted so what do I do I low ball them, come on how many people really want a econo box turbo kit.

CXR declined all my low offers so I gave up and bid another kit they declined too. I thought I would give the CXR kit another chance, $900 CXR said yes I'm the owner of a new turbo kit!!!

Here's my thinking on going with a cheep eBay kit. As a car audio installer I know the importance of a good installation. I can make even the cheapest speakers sound good with a solid install. So I thought I would apply a solid install to the CXR kit. I'm sure everybody knows what happened next. CRAACCKKK yea the dam thing nearly fell off the car. This where my story and Fred's part ways.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Youre in Dallas? I wanna see this "kit" So whatcha gonna do now?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skion j
It's Thanksgiving I'm thankful to finally get a day off.

My story starts out just like Scion Fred's, I bought a turbo kit!

Before I made the descision on the CXR kit I spent time searching all over the net and eBay piecing together the perfect diy kit. I had all the parts picked out mostly eBay knockoff suff but couldn't find a down pipe. But what is this, a complete turbo kit for my 2008 XB down pipe included all for $1500. This kit has every thing I wanted so what do I do I low ball them, come on how many people really want a econo box turbo kit.

CXR declined all my low offers so I gave up and bid another kit they declined too. I thought I would give the CXR kit another chance, $900 CXR said yes I'm the owner of a new turbo kit!!!

Here's my thinking on going with a cheep eBay kit. As a car audio installer I know the importance of a good installation. I can make even the cheapest speakers sound good with a solid install. So I thought I would apply a solid install to the CXR kit. I'm sure everybody knows what happened next. CRAACCKKK yea the dam thing nearly fell off the car. This where my story and Fred's part ways.
Nice teaser prelude... waiting patiently for chapter one and some pics.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fred, how are you man. I have not been on in a while. It's damn cold here in buffalo now and it sucks. How is everything with you. Have not talked with you in a while. I will try to give you a call soon bud. But just a quick question, should i have to update my map at all for the colder months? It seems to still stick around 14.6 at cruise but when i boost it seems to be a little lean.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mach-box
Fred, how are you man. I have not been on in a while. It's damn cold here in buffalo now and it sucks. How is everything with you. Have not talked with you in a while. I will try to give you a call soon bud. But just a quick question, should i have to update my map at all for the colder months? It seems to still stick around 14.6 at cruise but when i boost it seems to be a little lean.
Brother Mach-Box! Long time my friend. If it makes you feel any better about the ____ty cold-___ Buffalo weather, it only hit mid 40's here today and it's 28F now in Baltimore.

With the FIC I'm not surprised that you're running lean in cold temp open loop. The MAP based FIC has no compensation for cold vs hot intake air. I would save your current map under a new name ("wintertune"?) and richen the entire fuel map by ~5% and see how that works. The ECU will trim out any extra fuel in closed loop to maintain 14.7:1 but the added fuel should bring your boosted (OL) AFRs back to where they belong.

5% is just a guess and you may need more or less added fuel. The rest of your tune should be okay. Call me when you get a chance. Later Buddy.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:21 AM

Default Chapter 1 The Welder

That's right I bought a welder, but not just any welder this bad boy can plasma cut, tig, and stick weld in one unit. It's a A/C D/C machine so I can even weld aluminum.

When my cxr turbo manifold started to crack I would take it to a friends shop to be repaired. I had him fixed it a couple of times before I decided to get my own welder. He made it look so easy laying down perfect weld beads.

My plan was to custom make my own turbo header, but while I was learning to weld I still had to drive to work. So the fix was on, crack, weld, crack, weld once I got good at welding I started to design my new header. During the design phase I found out why the cxr Mani keeps cracking, no support. I have read people talking about the weight of the turbo and the thin walled steal, but when you add the weight of the rest of the exhaust to the mix that is a recepie for a lot of cracking and warping of metal.

I fabricated a braket (having a welder is awesome) that uses the factory exhaust bolts to support my down pipe. No more cracks!

It's freezing in Dallas too 65 burrr.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great idea! Before installing mine I took it to a local shop to have it braced but the idiot there said it didn't need it. You know the rest...

Does your brace go down to the 2 lower bolts where the oem header attached? Any pics? Looking forward to chapter 2 and some pics.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, no support on even "good quality" headers will allow them to crack in no time, so good work. Hopefully it doesn't crack anymore.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 AM

Yes the brace is using the two lower bolts for the oem header.

As for the pics I can't even get a picture below my name.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You aren't allowed to, or you don't know how to?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Email the pics to me at frederick_pohl@yahoo.com and I'll post them for you.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Home of the snow home of the cold Buffalo eskmos
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not sure that I remember that you were on a draw-thru maf Fred!?! How did you even get it to start? I was unable to get my car to even start with the MAF like that - I switched to blow-thru and she started up first try! My motor is done...just finishing up the wire tuck, abs relocate, powersteering relocate, and some other misc things then the motor going back in!!!@
Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnhawkins
Im not sure that I remember that you were on a draw-thru maf Fred!?! How did you even get it to start? I was unable to get my car to even start with the MAF like that - I switched to blow-thru and she started up first try! My motor is done...just finishing up the wire tuck, abs relocate, powersteering relocate, and some other misc things then the motor going back in!!!
I made sure I didn't have any vacuum leaks, the MAF was connected and turned the key! It starts the same as it did stock, which is 3 times faster than with a FIC installed. ;) I can only guess as to what your problem might have been. Your MAF tube should be as close to 2.5" ID as possible. For XBs it has to be 3" which is why I can't do blow-thru without a piggyhack to alter the MAF signal.

Glad to hear that you're making progress! Update your thread so I can see what you've done. A vid of the engine running would be sweet.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's been a long time since I updated this thread and a lot has changed since then. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here they are:

Valve cover powder coated by Chesapeake Coating in Baltimore.

Valve cover installed. Time to clean the engine and re-paint the damb manifold...

Catch can and Split Second Enricher installed

Bumper vent grill removed and tabs trimmed for more air flow to IC

Last edited by ScionFred; 04-15-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exhaust clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKNID...yer_detailpage
Old 04-28-2011, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where's the turbo love these days?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Where's the turbo love these days?
Sounds great, but I don't know how many people are running the xB2 with a turbo & 3" exhaust system. It's a great combo, just not that common.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love turbos....just not on my box :D

Quick Reply: The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!