Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1vicissitude
Good luck with the kit! I hope everything works out so I can follow in your steps. I've been so curious about this kit. Even $1200 is too much for me to blow on something that might cause 3-5k in damage without me knowing anything about its quality. If I had more money laying around incase of disaster I'd of hopped on this along time ao.
Thanks. I'm anxious to see how it works with just 440cc injectors and low boost. If it doesn't work well, the FIC and tune will add quite a bit more expense. I'm already looking at $2050:

Turbo kit: $1300
Gauges: $400
Injectors: $350

Add the FIC and a tune and the cost rises to ~$2750. In the worst case, add another $1000+ for a new mani, turbo and custom DP. This could get expensive...
Old 05-10-2009, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Originally Posted by 1vicissitude
Good luck with the kit! I hope everything works out so I can follow in your steps. I've been so curious about this kit. Even $1200 is too much for me to blow on something that might cause 3-5k in damage without me knowing anything about its quality. If I had more money laying around incase of disaster I'd of hopped on this along time ao.
Thanks. I'm anxious to see how it works with just 440cc injectors and low boost. If it doesn't work well, the FIC and tune will add quite a bit more expense. I'm already looking at $2050:

Turbo kit: $1300
Gauges: $400
Injectors: $350

Add the FIC and a tune and the cost rises to ~$2750. In the worst case, add another $1000+ for a new mani, turbo and custom DP. This could get expensive...
Gotta pay to play with boost
Old 05-10-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol my kit
fic 400
gauges 500
injectors 200
just for my kit
Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
lol my kit
fic 400
gauges 500
injectors 200
just for my kit
Yeah, boost ain't cheap but I'm hoping to keep my total cost under $4000. If it works out with just the injectors, this could be a great starter kit for those looking for 50whp for $2000. This is the wrong kit for serious HP.

Mind if I ask where you got injectors for only $200 and what size they are? The cheapest I've found are Deatschwerks and RC for ~$350.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol my kit
fic 400
gauges 500
injectors 200
just for my kit
Yeah, boost ain't cheap but I'm hoping to keep my total cost under $4000. If it works out with just the injectors, this could be a great starter kit for those looking for 50whp for $2000. This is the wrong kit for serious HP.

Mind if I ask where you got injectors for only $200 and what size they are? The cheapest I've found are Deatschwerks and RC for ~$350.
You should be able to find some used injectors off of SL. I remember purchasing deatschwerks 550cc for about 200. You just have to be patient
Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NyoroBox
You should be able to find some used injectors off of SL. I remember purchasing deatschwerks 550cc for about 200. You just have to be patient
Thanks. I guess I won't need them until I install the turbo. I'll keep looking until then. This could take a while since I'm going to have a buddy beef up the mani and DP for me. He claims he can weld wood to cast iron. Seriously though, he definitely knows welding, machining and metalurgy. My first step will be to install the gauges so I don't have to do that at the same time as the turbo/injectors.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the current injectors i am running ar 900cc i got used off of some one on the boards
Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the current injectors i am running ar 900cc i got used off of some one on the boards
Planning on 450HP are we? You could do it with under 80% duty cycle.

BTW, the kit I ordered Friday afternoon shipped via Fedex on Monday. I guess we won't have a 54 page thread about how many months it takes to get a CXR turbo kit...

Edit: I just ordered my AEM UEGO, boost gauge ($370 shipped) and Deatschwerks 440cc injectors ($336 from ebay). I don't want anything like used injectors tainting my CXR kit results. This way the kit either works with the oem ECU or it doesn't.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL install it already!!! I think I'm probably as excited as you to see the results.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW, the kit I ordered Friday afternoon shipped via Fedex on Monday. I guess we won't have a 54 page thread about how many months it takes to get a CXR turbo kit...
Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

LOL hope this goes well, and yes I am very excited to see the results....after a couple months.

cant beat being boosted for 2k
Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope it doesn't take a couple months. It would help if someone would recommend a good OBD2 to USB scan adapter. I've been looking at them and it's hard to pick one with the huge price range and numerous software options. I'm getting a netbook for sensor monitoring, data logging, etc.

Edit: I ended up getting an ELM327 OBD-USB clone for $40 and a refurb Asus 9" Atom netbook for $165. I'm still looking at OBD software. OBD-DIAG looks pretty good but lacks data logging. I'm thinking of installing the injectors first to see how well the ECU copes. I'll be able to monitor and hopefully data log the fuel trim as well as all other sensor data from the ECU to my netbook. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them since this is all new to me.

BTW, I found a great tuning link here: http://www.gadgetonline.com/U-Tune.pdf

Now I have a new concern. According to Gadget (author of the tuning link), the knock sensors do not control timing below 3000rpm so without any timing retard there is a possibility for ping or even detonation if the boost builds too high before 3000rpm. I'll have to listen for it and if necessary, get the FIC ASAP to pull some timing. OTOH, running a max of 5-6psi with 93 octane, this may not pose a problem afterall.

Nothing has arrived yet but the turbo kit, gauges, injectors, tranny cooler, OBD interface and netbook are all in the mail.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Freakin awesome! Dude post lots of pics of this kit please! Including pics of inside the SMIC!!! lol but yeah so glad someone finally bought this and since you post so much I know you'll give the best review! Best wishes bro!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use a asus 1000hd 120 gig great comp i leave it in my glove box for odb2 i use a scan gauge 154 shipped great product
Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thinkin of modifying the bumper at all to make the opening bigger?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Freakin awesome! Dude post lots of pics of this kit please! Including pics of inside the SMIC!!! lol but yeah so glad someone finally bought this and since you post so much I know you'll give the best review! Best wishes bro!
Thanks, mang. I'll do my best to provide a thorough and honest review of the kit. The good, the bad and the ugly.

i use a asus 1000hd 120 gig great comp i leave it in my glove box for odb2 i use a scan gauge 154 shipped great product
Thanks Cory. Do you like the Scan Gauge software? Can you data log with it?

Originally Posted by NyoroBox
thinkin of modifying the bumper at all to make the opening bigger?
No, but I'll probably put a fan on the IC.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no data logging but its nice you can display 4 gauges at a time i use mine to show intake air temp water temp timing and load
Old 05-16-2009, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no data logging but its nice you can display 4 gauges at a time i use mine to show intake air temp water temp timing and load
Thanks Cory. I can't wait to try this out. Here is a screenshot of OBD-DIAG (freeware).

Fedex tried to deliver my turbo kit today but I wasn't home to sign for it. I should get it tommorrow. The ATF cooler and injectors are here but I'm still waiting on gauges, OBD adapter and netbook.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where do you get the software and connector? and price ima have to pick one up
Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where do you get the software and connector? and price ima have to pick one up
The software is free and AFAIK works with the ELM327 OBD chip and most clones. I got this ELM327 clone:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16923

OBD-DIAG:

http://www.er-forum.de/obd-diag-dl/i...IAG%20Software

I'm not sure yet if OBD-DIAG works with this elm clone but there are several other free OBD apps, one of which will. I'll let you know how well it works in a few days.

BTW, I'm gonna try using a simple IAT resistor mod for AFR tuning. Since the ECU uses the MAF (volume) and IAT (density) to determine how much oxygen is entering the engine and adjusts fuel levels accordingly, adding a simple potentiomater (variable resistor) inline with the IAT will let me trick the ECU into thinking the incoming air is denser than it really is. In closed loop, the O2 sensor readings will still override this and the ECU will strive for 14.7:1 AFR but in open loop, the O2 sensor is ignored and I can use the IAT mod and UEGO to tune for 12:1.

I was worried about the ECU advancing the timing also but from what I've read about it, OBD2 ECUs already run max timing advance for cleaner emmissions and fuel economy, relying on the knock sensors for detonation control. I plan to install the potentiometer into a switch blank in the dash for resistance control (AFR tuning). It's rather crude compared to the AEM FIC but it might work okay for a low boost, low budget setup. If not, I'm out a few dollars and a little time.

In theory, this should work very similarly to the Treadstone MAF velocity stack. I'm looking at this CXR kit as an experiment to see if it's actually possible to boost on a budget. I'm pretty confident that if it fails, I can still salvage most of it and still stay under $4000 even if I replace the turbo, mani, WG, BOV and add real EM.

Quick Reply: The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!