Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks to both of you for acknowledging that this thread still exists...

I'm lamenting 2 things here:

1) There seems to be zero serious interest in boosting XBs and of the half-dozen SL members who've actually taken the plunge, I'm the only one still actively posting here.

2) The only way to get any replies seems to be starting a new thread, which is what most do, burying the older threads regardless of content value.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Thanks to both of you for acknowledging that this thread still exists...

I'm lamenting 2 things here:

1) There seems to be zero serious interest in boosting XBs and of the half-dozen SL members who've actually taken the plunge, I'm the only one still actively posting here.

2) The only way to get any replies seems to be starting a new thread, which is what most do, burying the older threads regardless of content value.
Yeah, it's the sad truth but most people with xBs are either trading them in/selling them (from what I see) or they're just not interested in performance at all. I know it's not a performance car, but stuff like this is fun to modify. I may be going turbo with my xB in the future when I finish up my Supra. It'll just take a bit of time.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

times are tough man. if i had the money i'd boost, but with the way things are now, it's better to just sit back and watch someone else do it.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Yeah, it's the sad truth but most people with xBs are either trading them in/selling them (from what I see) or they're just not interested in performance at all. I know it's not a performance car, but stuff like this is fun to modify. I may be going turbo with my xB in the future when I finish up my Supra. It'll just take a bit of time.
Sadly I too will probably be selling my XB in a year or so and getting a RWD factory performance car. It seems like the average XB2 owner is more interested in bagging their bling-bling, murdered out box with hella-flush cambered 20's to ensure that there is no performance left at all.

I certainly understand your position since you already have a performance car. Oh well, it is what it is.

Originally Posted by randomsuper
times are tough man. if i had the money i'd boost, but with the way things are now, it's better to just sit back and watch someone else do it.
I hear ya. In economic terms boosting an XB falls into the "waste of money" category all day long. Still it's kind of cool having the "GTi" XB version that Scion never made.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sadly I too will probably be selling my XB in a year or so and getting a RWD factory performance car. It seems like the average XB2 owner is more interested in bagging their bling-bling, murdered out box with hella-flush cambered 20's to ensure that there is no performance left at all.
Oh wow, that's a surprise to hear that you're selling it after all the hard work you've done.

Also yes, it's very strange to be in the same crowd as the guy who wants to slam his car and give it a ridiculous paint job and other BS, but that's almost in every recent car crowd. Most of the less BS cars are ones that aren't new anymore.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I may keep the XB as a DD and get something nicer but there's one major problem. For my DD I want something capable in snow and the XB isn't since lowered. If I return it to oem height it looks like crap. Maybe I could do a FJ Crusier theme but it's only FWD (blah).

For my new toy I'd love to own a Sunbeam Tiger, Ferrari 308, Porsche 911, MB SLK, C320, Audi A3 or even a GTi or Jetta TDI Cup. So many nice cars to choose from, so little money and time. I'll figure something out in the next year or so but I am getting bored with the XB.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo's fun to read about, but already having one turbo car, I feel no need whatsoever to convert my xB (though I did consider it). Also, I find the requirement for Premium gasoline a turn off.

I've been having an interesting time with my N/A mods (and I appreciate the interest you've shown ), but unless I decide to go in pursuit of power (which doesn't really appeal to me that much), I fear I may have already run out of worthwhile possibilities -- perhaps if I run across a super deal on a Weapon-R 4-2-1 header sans 'S'-Pipe somewhere?

I'm having major trouble coming up with further worthwhile mods -- low beam headlights maybe? No way I'd sell it though, not with it being exactly the way I want. Though, it would be interesting to find out how much of my cost I could get back. However, I suspect not much more than 50% at three years old !

I may keep the XB as a DD and get something nicer but there's one major problem. For my DD I want something capable in snow and the XB isn't since lowered. If I return it to oem height it looks like crap. Maybe I could do a FJ Crusier theme but it's only FWD (blah).
I'd guess it depends on how lowered you are. I'm running Eibach Prokit and the lowered look and behavior work perfectly for me, and I've little problem in snow thus far (especially with the right tires ).
Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For me the turbo XB is more for the ability to pass left-lane squatting morons when they don't want to be passed. I rarely go over 75mph except the occasional sprint to 90. I certainly understand why more people don't boost their XB's but am still disappointed that the intent interest shown previosuly has waned to a point where the FI section is dead other than Descendant trying to sell a great turbo kit for a great price to people who don't buy them.

I'm surprised that you haven't had any problems in the snow. I'm south of the Mason-Dixon line and there were 7-8 days in the last 2 years when I couldn't even drive my car. The problem wasn't getting traction but rather bottoming out constantly when driving in the ruts created by 'normal' cars with an additional inch or so of ground clearance. Last year during the blizzard my car sat for 3 days while I stayed in a DC hotel room and when I was finally able to drive it home I still bottomed out enough to rip a plastic shield off the undercarriage. Screw that, when 3' of snow falls in 2 days I want AWD with 10+" of ground clearance, not FWD and 4". Hence my lifted 93 Subaru snow-wagon.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I certainly understand why more people don't boost their XB's but am still disappointed that the intent interest shown previously has waned to a point where the FI section is dead other than Descendant trying to sell a great turbo kit for a great price to people who don't buy them.
It's my impression the xB2 section of SL is generally a lot quieter than it used to be. Not sure whether it's a drop in interest or a migration between sites.

I'm surprised that you haven't had any problems in the snow. I'm south of the Mason-Dixon line and there were 7-8 days in the last 2 years when I couldn't even drive my car. The problem wasn't getting traction but rather bottoming out constantly when driving in the ruts created by 'normal' cars with an additional inch or so of ground clearance. Last year during the blizzard my car sat for 3 days while I stayed in a DC hotel room and when I was finally able to drive it home I still bottomed out enough to rip a plastic shield off the undercarriage. Screw that, when 3' of snow falls in 2 days I want AWD with 10+" of ground clearance, not FWD and 4". Hence my lifted 93 Subaru snow-wagon.
Good point -- I'm in a town and it doesn't usually take so very long for a plow to show up. Once out of my driveway, it's usually mostly a question of traction. My Eclipse is also on Prokit and some snow even on plowed roads was high enough a year and a half ago to touch the undercarriage -- but for the AWD, I would've definitely got stuck a couple or more times. This past winter I used the xB with the OE Bridgestones and it did surprisingly well -- first time I got to see the stability control indicators flash a little, but the car felt fine.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally got around to taking the XB to Capitol Raceway. I expected mid-14's but secretly hoped for a 13.99 pass. It was not to be but the car ran 14.4 all day long with the TCS on and a best of 14.33 w/o TCS. I'm confident that I can get down into the high 13's with 1 psi more boost and some weight shaving. I had a full tank of gas today and removed nothing from the car.

It's not that fast but it is quicker than my 14.7 second 87 Mustang GT was and that makes me happy. In fact, my best run in my 68 Camaro SS 396 Convertible was 14.26 way back when. The Camaro was actually a 12 second car with a very poor street setup. It needed slicks and a high-stall torque converter but I was 17 and too poor for that stuff.

I'm #2113 in the right lane running against a Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-spec with intake, exhaust and a tune.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 AM

Default The Numbers

Scion Fred, Those are awesome numbers. I mean your posting V6 Numbers in a econobox. I'm not there yet, still trying to create the ultimate tubular header.

Your pics look good, I bet people are blown away when they see under your the hood. I still have the CXR look, I'm working to change that.

Sorry for the lack of posts, this thread is like an instruction Manuel for the ultimate XB2 power adder, the least i can do is show interest and keep the thread going.

Good Job Scion Fred, you talked it, and then backed it with real numbers.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fred is unquestionably a good man. Whether or not one fully agrees with whatever position he takes, it's clear he's sincere about what he has to say and his intent is to assist others to achieve what they can. Go Fred !
Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skion j
Scion Fred, Those are awesome numbers. I mean your posting V6 Numbers in a econobox. I'm not there yet, still trying to create the ultimate tubular header.

Your pics look good, I bet people are blown away when they see under your the hood. I still have the CXR look, I'm working to change that.

Sorry for the lack of posts, this thread is like an instruction Manuel for the ultimate XB2 power adder, the least i can do is show interest and keep the thread going.

Good Job Scion Fred, you talked it, and then backed it with real numbers.

Thanks! I'm very happy with my modest boosted XB daily driver. I wasn't the first or the fastest but I like to think that what I've done is a fairly quick yet reliable poor man's boosted XB. Cory James went the farthest and fastest and then there's MachBox and others that don't post here anymore. I'd also like to thank Steve60 who no longer posts here but was very helpful during my boost project.

I'm not looking for further recognition, rather I'd love to hear more from others like you about your projects. I know there are or were at least 10 boosted XB2 projects started here but very few follow up. If you can find the time I'd really like to see where your project is at and where you're going.

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Fred is unquestionably a good man. Whether or not one fully agrees with whatever position he takes, it's clear he's sincere about what he has to say and his intent is to assist others to achieve what they can. Go Fred !
My ex-wives would disagree! But thanks anyway. You're too kind Trevor.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:53 AM

scionfred !!! you still got the boosted xB. nice to see this thread still going. In case you were wondering whatever happened to me and my xrs, here's a little update. My xrs got written off few months back by someone taking a wrong left turn, which changed things quite a bit for me. I ended up getting a 2011 speed3. HOWEVER! my buddy still has his Xrs (auto) and he has finally decided to turbo it. Since i already have all the info we need (thanks to you for that), things will happen quickly now. so I will post a new thread in this section soon and will probably have more questions lol.

We are thinking to get the tuner kit from descendant racing, and getting a local shop to install it since there might be minor customization required for the piping to bolt up properly, but I shall keep you posted for sure.

Just to verify, you are still running on stock tune ?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kniterider09
scionfred !!! you still got the boosted xB. nice to see this thread still going. In case you were wondering whatever happened to me and my xrs, here's a little update. My xrs got written off few months back by someone taking a wrong left turn, which changed things quite a bit for me. I ended up getting a 2011 speed3. HOWEVER! my buddy still has his Xrs (auto) and he has finally decided to turbo it. Since i already have all the info we need (thanks to you for that), things will happen quickly now. so I will post a new thread in this section soon and will probably have more questions lol.

We are thinking to get the tuner kit from descendant racing, and getting a local shop to install it since there might be minor customization required for the piping to bolt up properly, but I shall keep you posted for sure.

Just to verify, you are still running on stock tune ?
Hey Kniterider! It's good to hear from you again, I was wondering what happened to you. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your XRS but congrats on the MS3! I hope no one was hurt (except for the idiot who caused the accident).

IMO the Descendant kit is a very good choice and because it retains the oem airbox, there shouldn't be any MAF measurement error to tune around like with every other kit. I can't say for certain (having never actually tested it) but I think that kit would work great with 440cc inj's and stock ECU tune.

As for my project, I feel that I've accomplished everything I set out to do. I couldn't be happier with the overall performance, tune and driveability of this setup. It feels like a factory turbo car. I highly recommend DW 440cc inj's and the Split Second Enricher. That's all I'm running for management and my AFR's are exactly where I want them (14.7 @ idle, crusing: 12.3 @CL boost and 11.5 @ OL boost).

The SS Enricher can easily be wired in without even touching the main wiring harness. I wired mine using a fuse tap to EFI #1 for +12V, the nearest bolt for chassis ground and I tapped into 2 of the primary O2 sensor leads for signal modification. I wouldn't call it "necessary" but more a "peace of mind" addition. It works exactly like the FIC's O2 table allowing me to richen the AFR when boost develops in closed loop.

Still running 6psi, 220whp/220wtq, 440cc, stock ECU and 14.33 @97 mph. Since last we spoke, I have determined that 260 BHP (225whp AT) is the safe max for the 440cc inj's with the stock fuel system. I'm now looking into coverting to a 1:1 rising rate return fuel system so I can bump the boost, hp and tq a little bit to break into the 13's and keep up with stock MS3 5 speeds.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Hey Kniterider! It's good to hear from you again, I was wondering what happened to you. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your XRS but congrats on the MS3! I hope no one was hurt (except for the idiot who caused the accident).

IMO the Descendant kit is a very good choice and because it retains the oem airbox, there shouldn't be any MAF measurement error to tune around like with every other kit. I can't say for certain (having never actually tested it) but I think that kit would work great with 440cc inj's and stock ECU tune.

As for my project, I feel that I've accomplished everything I set out to do. I couldn't be happier with the overall performance, tune and driveability of this setup. It feels like a factory turbo car. I highly recommend DW 440cc inj's and the Split Second Enricher. That's all I'm running for management and my AFR's are exactly where I want them (14.7 @ idle, crusing: 12.3 @CL boost and 11.5 @ OL boost).

The SS Enricher can easily be wired in without even touching the main wiring harness. I wired mine using a fuse tap to EFI #1 for +12V, the nearest bolt for chassis ground and I tapped into 2 of the primary O2 sensor leads for signal modification. I wouldn't call it "necessary" but more a "peace of mind" addition. It works exactly like the FIC's O2 table allowing me to richen the AFR when boost develops in closed loop.

Still running 6psi, 220whp/220wtq, 440cc, stock ECU and 14.33 @97 mph. Since last we spoke, I have determined that 260 BHP (225whp AT) is the safe max for the 440cc inj's with the stock fuel system. I'm now looking into coverting to a 1:1 rising rate return fuel system so I can bump the boost, hp and tq a little bit to break into the 13's and keep up with stock MS3 5 speeds.
the other guy was driving a GMC Yukon, he just got a dent on his rear passenger side door, my car's passenger side front end and side was destroyed. thankfully I wasan't going fast and didnt suffer major injuries. I will PM you the pics.

He has emailed descendant for a quote on the kit. We will go from there. We might also talk about a few local shops to see what they can do. but mostly we will install the kit ourselves. I think I still have the link to that SSE. He will also need a tranny cooler ? where do you get one of those from ?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kniterider09
the other guy was driving a GMC Yukon, he just got a dent on his rear passenger side door, my car's passenger side front end and side was destroyed. thankfully I wasan't going fast and didnt suffer major injuries. I will PM you the pics.

He has emailed descendant for a quote on the kit. We will go from there. We might also talk about a few local shops to see what they can do. but mostly we will install the kit ourselves. I think I still have the link to that SSE. He will also need a tranny cooler ? where do you get one of those from ?
Your friend should definitely add a trans cooler. You can buy them anywhere from Amazon to Pep Boys. If you're going to bypass the radiator ATF cooler you should get a cooler with cold fluid bypass (LPD: low pressure drop). You can still use a LPD cooler without bypassing the radiator but it's not necessary to have LPD in that case.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Aut...n-SuperCoolers

I'm running the B&M 70268 cooler but the 70264 would also fit.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM
SL Member

oh god. 220whp is more than good enough for a DD, especially on a stock ECU....

Knighterider, its Me Pengin978 from toyotanation. Corolla xrs, I was having dilemma of either going with Nitrous or Turbo....but adding another grand and I can get the tuner friendly, which I don't need to use AEM FIC......

very temping friends, very temping..
http://www.world-motorsports.com/wms...20870f0681c67b

hahaha but I also am getting an 86 corolla this fall ughhh!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bitethexrs
oh god. 220whp is more than good enough for a DD, especially on a stock ECU....

Knighterider, its Me Pengin978 from toyotanation. Corolla xrs, I was having dilemma of either going with Nitrous or Turbo....but adding another grand and I can get the tuner friendly, which I don't need to use AEM FIC......

very temping friends, very temping..
http://www.world-motorsports.com/wms...20870f0681c67b

hahaha but I also am getting an 86 corolla this fall ughhh!!!
Welcome to SL! Don't forget to budget for 440cc injectors and boost and AFR gauges to go with the tuner kit. If you go ntirous you'll probably enjoy it now and then but if you go boost you'll never question that it was worth the extra money over the baby bottle.

Congrats on the AE86.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member

Hey ScionFred I know this is an old thread, and I am also very new to this but I have been following every post that you have made about the CX Racing Turbo kit. I just recently bought a used automatic 2008 XB and I really want to install the cx racing turbo kit on my car. I think your the man that knows the most about whole kit of what not to do and what to do. I was wondering if there was any way you could tell me in detail of what to do what extras I need to buy along with the kit( such as gauges, injectors, and all that good stuff). I really want to purchase the kit this week and get down to installing it I just want to do it right and your the man that knows how so if you could give me a list with pics or whatever that would be awesome! Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!