Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Scan Gauge can turn off codes.
I've done that numerous times with ScanTool but it keeps coming back.

Originally Posted by Steve60
Still have a 101. There's something else going on . The MAP sensor is only reading the air volume. I can't see any reason for a 101. If I lived near by I'd try my MAP, just to rule it out. It could be something as simple as the location...... I saw rich, lean & out of range, all on a test drive in a friends car, it turned out to be a lose intake manifold.

The IC is quite nice. The end tanks are built for good flow & the location is very good. You could put a big front mount on but bigger means loss of boost. The component placement in this kit look well thought out ( I just looked at your install a few minutes ago ).

The OE ECU doesn't get as much credit as it should. The Power Enterprise SC kit for the gen 1 XB has no additional management, just a fuel pump & injectors. The fact is I have run my gen 1 with TC injectors w/ a Greddy blower without management, with no problems. And yes you go need to take it easy for a couple 100 miles to see any benefit..... but it's there. The blower has been on this car for 40k - should have been a dealer option with a clutch - a gen 1 OE clutch is not useable.

Any boosted engine is going to pull some ign out. The more power, the more heat. 2 events happen as the heat increases. Depending on the ECU parameters, it will dump more fuel, pull less timing or vise versa. Either way there will be more fuel & less timing, it's just how much of each = ECU parameters. If you are looking at around 11:6 at WOT you're safe. If the target boost is around 6psi you could go leaner to high 12's, these engines are designed to run lean, nothing like the days of old. Just keep an eye on the EGT- it's the end product of making power & the tell = how long your engine will last.
I don't know what to think about the 101 code. I've re-cleaned the MAF, checked everywhere for vacuum leaks or post-MAF leaks and I can't find anything wrong. Supposedly the ECU predetermines the MAF voltage range to expect based on input from several other sensors and rpm. If the MAF reading is higher or lower than expected, a P0101 is set.

I like the IC and overall kit design too. Despite CXR's inclusion of a lower quality turbo, BOV and WG than kits costing 2-4x as much, the overall design job by Rene Franco (Rene's Motorsports) seems quite good. I'm considering the addition of a 9" fan to the IC for additional cooling. Any thoughts on that?

I like the way the oem ecu responds dynamically to changes vs a piggyback that has to be reprogrammed for any changes and can't adapt or learn. As long as I stay within the parameters the oem ecu can adapt to, I think it will do a better job than a piggyback. So far, it appears that the ecu can handle 440cc injectors and 5-6psi pretty well. That's probably very close to the limit though. I'm glad that the ecu will pull timing as needed and my only concern about the TRD reflash is that it may pull more timing than necessary for safety sake. I've heard nothing good about the reflash from TC guys who used it.

My primary cat temp is usually ~900F and the secondary is ~500F when I check but I still don't have data logging software and my netbook is too hard to read while driving. I'm still looking for a good OBD2 app with data logging. I assume that those temps are coming from the O2 sensors so that the primary cat temp is my EGT ~16" from the turbo.

Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will have that code got to change chargepipe size or fic and clamp it
Old 07-04-2009, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

900f is very good. That is the upstream O2.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261083 = no leaks. Look at the T-Map location ( same as maf only it also senses temp "T" ) most FI BMW's have 2 sensors. Cory makes a good point.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default FIC

FYI FIC is the Funding Information Center. All you people needing funding for an fic........ or for that matter, lets say, a personal image loan, some go fast parts, better yet a new Caterham R500.....
Old 07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess I just have to live with the CEL or get an FIC. I think I'll head down to P-Tuning for some dyno runs and see what they think. I'll be using them to tune the FIC, if and when I get one.

That Caterham R500 looks like a lot of fun.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can P-Tuning tune the OE ECU?

So the 101 persists..... How are you reseting the ECU? I use my scanner but sometimes it's necessary to disconnect the battery for a few hours, you tried this, yes? With the blower car I'm moving more air than you are, not by much. My 9lbs is just slightly more than your 5lbs - air volume.

I have a really short charge pipe ( HAI style ) that might work just for testing. Since you're too far away for it to do any good, the old way might work - If the MAF is looking at too much air you can restrict the air flow on the charge pipe - tape off some of the air cleaner. I don't thing this is the right way to go BUT it's the only way to rule things out. If you had all of my diag equipment the problem would be solved.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can P-Tuning tune the OE ECU?

So the 101 persists..... How are you reseting the ECU? I use my scanner but sometimes it's necessary to disconnect the battery for a few hours, you tried this, yes? With the blower car I'm moving more air than you are, not by much. My 9lbs is just slightly more than your 5lbs - air volume.

I have a really short charge pipe ( HAI style ) that might work just for testing. Since you're too far away for it to do any good, the old way might work - If the MAF is looking at too much air you can restrict the air flow on the charge pipe - tape off some of the air cleaner. I don't thing this is the right way to go BUT it's the only way to rule things out. If you had all of my diag equipment the problem would be solved.
AFAIK the Toyota ECU can't be tuned. There are expensive tools to reflash the ECU but no software available to enable reprogramming.

Regarding the 101, I had the same CAI on the car for over a year and never set a code. I had headers on for several months and never set a code. The day I installed the larger injectors, the 101 started and continued for 2 weeks, despite clearing it several times, before I even installed the turbo kit. I can clear it, disconnect the battery for hours and it still comes back. I even tried taping off part of the MAF air duct to reduce air to the hot wire and the 101 still came back. Perhaps we have different ECUs?

Can you recommend a good OBD2 software app for the ELM327? I have almost every free app but they are all fairly limited. AutoEnginuity looks great but at $400 with the enhanced Toyota expansion, I'd rather buy a FIC instead. I'm leaning towards Digimoto 5 or PCMScan.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The old school way is just that.

We have the same ECU. They can be tuned - amounts to a kind of reflash.

There might be a remote tune available but an FIC is easier, more tuneable & will allow normal OE if removed.

Remote tuning is not inexpensive. MTH, German cars, is widely used - you buy the software, PC cable, download the OE ECU to the PC, upload th the MTH site - in 4 to 8 hours they send a revised program to upload to your ECU = $300 & up.

A pilgrimage to P-Tuning is sooner than sooner. The 101 must be making you nuts? This is the kind of thing that wakes me up at 3am, wondering what I missed. As near as I can tell there is no turbo kit that includes any management for the gen2.....

You could get more software but it won't solve the problem. You can probably see enough with what you already have. Buying an fic is way smarter.

The G D thing should run..... D it......
Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The old school way is just that.

We have the same ECU. They can be tuned - amounts to a kind of reflash.

There might be a remote tune available but an FIC is easier, more tuneable & will allow normal OE if removed.

Remote tuning is not inexpensive. MTH, German cars, is widely used - you buy the software, PC cable, download the OE ECU to the PC, upload th the MTH site - in 4 to 8 hours they send a revised program to upload to your ECU = $300 & up.

A pilgrimage to P-Tuning is sooner than sooner. The 101 must be making you nuts? This is the kind of thing that wakes me up at 3am, wondering what I missed. As near as I can tell there is no turbo kit that includes any management for the gen2.....

You could get more software but it won't solve the problem. You can probably see enough with what you already have. Buying an fic is way smarter.

The G D thing should run..... D it......
I've been hurting my brain trying to figure out how to tune the GD toy ecu. There is a company in the US (Jet Chips) that claims to reprogram your toy ECU but you have to send the ecu to them and most people who've tried it say it sucks. The best fuel management i can envision would be to simply alter the WB O2 readings to tell the ECU that the mixture is lean, making the ECU fatten the inj pulses in closed loop to provide whatever afr you want. Very easy to do with a 0-1.0V NB O2 but very tricky with a WB O2 DC that switches between negative and positive dc current flow based on a 3.3V stoich reference point. This might be easy for an electrical engineer but not for me. URD has done it but $250 for a AFR calibrator (WB O2 tuner) seems steep since it won't alter my MAF signal (P0101 for life!) or ignition timing. For that I'd need their $569 MAF and timing calibrator too. I'm not sure if it's worth it vs the $350 AEM FIC that does static timing, static MAF signal and static FI pulse width. <sigh> this is what keeps me up at night...

Timing is easy. A simple parallel variable resistor (pot) on the IAT would allow me to raise the IAT and make the ECU retard ign timing. Many claim much success with altering the CTS but I'm pretty sure that altering it enough to adequately richen the CL AFR would throw a code for cold engine temp. My 80F CTS afr runs stoich now so lowering it to 0F with an IAT of 200F is gonna confuse the ecu for sure. The HHO (hydrogen fuel cell) and mpg guys are using EFIEs (electronic fuel injection enhancers) to alter NB and WB O2 sensor readings but they're exclusive interest is leaning the AFR. I need to add positive current flow on the order of 10-50MV to trick my CL ecu into running 13;1 afr but what happens when the measured afr becomes too rich with my current-adding O2 trick? Not sure...

As if this isn't enough to give me chronic insomnia, I took my ELM327 to work today so I couold scan a buddy's Dakota. It worked fine reading codes and sensors but when I tried to clear his CEL codes my ELM327 was 'lost' and now isn't detected anymore by any of my OBD software on his car or mine. Not sure if it's fried or not. I took it apart and it looks okay except for a filmy substance on some of the pcb contacts. I cleaned it with EC cleaner but have yet to test it again.

Just to top things off, it finally ocurred to me tonight that my AEM boost gauge reads 4psi vacuum with the engine off. Now I have to wonder if all of it's readings are off by 4psi. Am I really running 10psi instead of the 6psi reported? I double-checked the instructions but there is no calibration method mentioned. Then there were problems at work that required me to stay an extra hour. yeah, it's been that kind of day...

The EVO 10 and Caterham R500 are looking better by the minute...

URD:

http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPat...ekahqgi9eh7sc2
Old 07-07-2009, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be careful about Jet Chips. I wouldn't trust them because of this link:

http://www.4cefed.com/jetecuscam.html

It only applies for Supras, but if they're scamming people like that I wouldn't get stuff from them anyway.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Be careful about Jet Chips. I wouldn't trust them because of this link:

http://www.4cefed.com/jetecuscam.html

It only applies for Supras, but if they're scamming people like that I wouldn't get stuff from them anyway.
Yeah, Jet Chips might work okay on domestics but I wouldn't trust them with a newer Toyota ECU. They seem to fall into the "if it sounds too good to be true..." category.

On a more positive note, I just spoke with Boomslang and they said that they plan to have a PnP harness for our cars within the next several weeks. I'm not holding my breath but I will keep checking back if for no other reason than to show interest. Anyone else who is interested in one should email or call them too.

Boomslang:

573-635-6656
info@boomslang.us
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

who u think got bomslang to make the harness? lol it will be them or dezod first wonder who?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
who u think got bomslang to make the harness? lol it will be them or dezod first wonder who?
Chuck Norris? I wonder if he contacted AWS too?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i call boom slang like once a week i have since like last march lol
Old 07-07-2009, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
lol i call boom slang like once a week i have since like last march lol
Thank you! They said to check back in 2-3 weeks. I guess I can wait that long.

BTW, did you get the P0101 with your stock injectors and turbo? Are you using the O2 sensor spoofing with your FIC?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i still get that code i think i have got it like 2 times thats the only code i have ever thrown once you get tuned it will go away the problem is you maxing it out past its voltage range cause your moving to much air clamping the maff with the fic is what fixes that
Old 07-08-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Cory. That likely explains why I'm getting the 101 now and I think I may know what caused it to set with only the injectors. Apparently excessive fuel trims can cause a P0101. I was probably right on the edge of a P0101 with the CAI and ported TB and the fuel trims required by larger injectors pushed it over.

I can't wait to get my FIC, Boomslang PnP harness and start tuning.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 AM
SL Member

So I was reserching about cxracing and I found ur post I talk 2 rene franco since his shop is like 3mins from my house and he willing to put a turbo for my 09xrs do u recoment their work?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wire the fic yourself. its not that hard. plus it will save u cash.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by andys09xrs
So I was reserching about cxracing and I found ur post I talk 2 rene franco since his shop is like 3mins from my house and he willing to put a turbo for my 09xrs do u recoment their work?
All I know about Rene's Motorsports is that Rene has built some pretty impressive Mazda race cars, the CXR drift cars and designed the CXR turbo kits. I'm very happy with the design of my CXR kit but have never dealt with Rene's shop first hand. If they were that close to me, I'd probably use them but I can't actually recommend them.

Originally Posted by Mach-box
just wire the fic yourself. its not that hard. plus it will save u cash.
I could but I'd prefer not to hack into the oem harness and spend several hours soldering connections. Besides, I'm hoping that by the time the Boomslang harness is available, the new Dezod EM may be too. I'm very interested in the Dezod EM and although there won't be a PnP harness (TC only), I may get it instead of the FIC and splice it in.

Quick Reply: The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!