Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2nd gen Xb 2008 - A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2nd gen Xb 2008 - A/C issue

I've got two XB's, a 2008 and a 2015. Both of them had a similar issue where the A/C would not work during the first 3-4 miles of driving even though it was on. It would just blow hot air until all of a sudden it kicks in and you can feel it removing heat from the air. The 2015 had its compressor replaced under warranty which fixed the issue. That leaves the 2008 which wasn't under warranty so it didn't get its compressor replaced. I don't know how it works, but it seems like there is a part that gets stuck in there or something that keeps it from working and after the 3-4 miles or driving, it seems to get unstuck and it will begin working. If you drive the car, then park it for a few hours and drive it again, it won't be stuck and will work immediately, but if you don't drive it for a day or longer, it will be stuck for 3-4 miles and then it will work. I did have the refrigerant pulled out and measured at the dealership and everything is fine with that. Once it begins working it blows nice and cold. Let's call this issue #1 - it may take a few miles to get it working.

Lately it has come up with a new issue #2 - if it is a warm day and the car is just idling, it will stop blowing cold as well. Once you start driving again, it will cool down. Any theories as to why this might be happening? The 2008 has 105K miles on it.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

AC issues are hard to diagnose via the internet. For issue #2 the compressor could be failing but it sounds more like a cooling fan or fan controller is wigging out, or there's an issue in the dryer/evaporator that's causing it not to de-ice. I'd lean more towards one of these (or both) being the issue if it blows ice cold while you're driving (and if it gets humid/musty feeling when you're idling) than a compressor. If this is the issue, it might also help with #1.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It doesn't smell musty or anything when idling, the air just goes warm. This issue doesn't always happen either. Yesterday while idling it stayed pretty cold.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For A/C stuff, just take it to a dealer or good shop for pressure checking. It's tricky to get right.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:10 AM

Default 2014 Xb

Yes it takes a while for the AC to start blowing cold here in Phoenix.... Also does anybody know a good aftermarket luggage rack and carrier....
Old 03-11-2024, 10:31 PM

Default 2014 Scion xB luggage rack suggestions...

[Q2014 Scion Xb suggestions please UOTE=alank2;4311551]I've got two XB's, a 2008 and a 2015. Both of them had a similar issue where the A/C would not work during the first 3-4 miles of driving even though it was on. It would just blow hot air until all of a sudden it kicks in and you can feel it removing heat from the air. The 2015 had its compressor replaced under warranty which fixed the issue. That leaves the 2008 which wasn't under warranty so it didn't get its compressor replaced. I don't know how it works, but it seems like there is a part that gets stuck in there or something that keeps it from working and after the 3-4 miles or driving, it seems to get unstuck and it will begin working. If you drive the car, then park it for a few hours and drive it again, it won't be stuck and will work immediately, but if you don't drive it for a day or longer, it will be stuck for 3-4 miles and then it will work. I did have the refrigerant pulled out and measured at the dealership and everything is fine with that. Once it begins working it blows nice and cold. Let's call this issue #1 - it may take a few miles to get it working.

Lately it has come up with a new issue #2 - if it is a warm day and the car is just idling, it will stop blowing cold as well. Once you start driving again, it will cool down. Any theories as to why this might be happening? The 2008 has 105K miles on it.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-12-2024, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is toyotas page about AC compressors
https://www.toyota-industries.com/pr...sor/index.html
They have been using these since 1997
https://www.toyota-industries.com/pr...ble/index.html

So no magnetic clutch in the pulley. Instead I think there is a solenoid in the compressor to tilt the swashplate to start the compressor working.
Seems like these can get stuck, or the signal from the car gets disrupted.
Old 09-30-2024, 03:07 AM

Default Exact same issues with my 3rd scion XB

I’ve been dealing with the same issues about the 1st 3 to 4 miles with hot air and other issues for years… I’ve paid $2000 at least 3 times to Toyota to repair or replace all AC parts and still always ends up doing the same stuff. I’ve paid thousands to other shops too and no one can ever get it right, I’ll add one more thing I’ve found, for the last few months, mine will be blowing hot, so I’ll down shift to 1st gear and rev to 5500 and hold it there for a few seconds.. it will start to engage and blow cold and as long as I stay reved high for about 20 seconds it will usually stay cold for hours of normal driving or idling. Then it will just all the sudden get hot again and I’ll start down shifting and usually can get it cold again. I’m not sure if that sounds like a faulty compressor after reading about them or if that’s a clogged condenser, I just replaced the expansion valve thinking maybe it was getting stuck, but still same problem
QUOTE=alank2;4311551]I've got two XB's, a 2008 and a 2015. Both of them had a similar issue where the A/C would not work during the first 3-4 miles of driving even though it was on. It would just blow hot air until all of a sudden it kicks in and you can feel it removing heat from the air. The 2015 had its compressor replaced under warranty which fixed the issue. That leaves the 2008 which wasn't under warranty so it didn't get its compressor replaced. I don't know how it works, but it seems like there is a part that gets stuck in there or something that keeps it from working and after the 3-4 miles or driving, it seems to get unstuck and it will begin working. If you drive the car, then park it for a few hours and drive it again, it won't be stuck and will work immediately, but if you don't drive it for a day or longer, it will be stuck for 3-4 miles and then it will work. I did have the refrigerant pulled out and measured at the dealership and everything is fine with that. Once it begins working it blows nice and cold. Let's call this issue #1 - it may take a few miles to get it working.

Lately it has come up with a new issue #2 - if it is a warm day and the car is just idling, it will stop blowing cold as well. Once you start driving again, it will cool down. Any theories as to why this might be happening? The 2008 has 105K miles on it.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-30-2024, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by Olekwj
I’ll down shift to 1st gear and rev to 5500 and hold it there for a few seconds.. it will start to engage and blow cold and as long as I stay reved high for about 20 seconds it will usually stay cold for hours of normal driving or idling.
'Interesting'' way to fix an A/C issue...and blowing hot for the first few minutes seems to be pretty normal for most cars these days.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could well be an electrical issue.
Either at the connector, with corroded or loose connections
Or something in the wiring - check with a voltmeter... Hope that works without having to turn the engine on, but if you do, be careful. Stay away from anything rotating, no loose clothing or rings etc.