Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Bazooka 8" Sub Review, The Little Speaker That Could

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Default Bazooka 8" Sub Review, The Little Speaker That Could

I just purchased the Bazooka 8" sub and got a great deal on Ebay. I've been eyeing this setup for about a year now, but couldn't justify the list price of around $300. I was browsing on ebay and found the seller, Bazooka Certified Auctions. I think that this is a factory direct seller or overstock seller. They had a killer deal, buy it now for $179. So I had to take advantage of that price. Looks like they have since raised their price to $199, but still a great deal http://stores.ebay.com/bazookacertifiedauctions. Shipping took about 4 days to Florida and had all the harnesses and mounting equipment included.

I know that the install is not too difficult, but I have a tech at the local Scion dealership that hooked me up for $100. Here's some pictures to show how it looks and how little space it takes up:

Name:  P7300892.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  P7300893.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  P7300894.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  34.6 KB

So now to the review. When I first got the car back, the sub was turned to half power, and it was overpowering the mids and highs. I have the standard headunit set on SSP feel, Bass 0, and Treble 0 with the factory speakers. With the sub at mid-level, the bass from the sub sounded a little distorted coming out of the port. But you could definitely feel it when sitting in the drivers seat. I listen to a mix of music, rock, acoustic, dance, hip hop, etc. and was aiming for a balanced sound with some deeper lows. I have had cars with 2, 12" Diamond subs with Alpine amps in the past, but just wanted something to give the stock system a little more oomph and wouldn't be too noticeable outside the car. The perfect setting for me was to turn the bazooka down to the lowest setting, and decrease the Bass to -1. I can still feel the bass, but it doesn't overpower the other speakers. On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being the highest, I give the speaker an 8. The only drawback being that the sub itself could be a little more musical. But hey, what do you expect for a few hundred bucks?

Final verdict: if you find your stock system a little lacking in the bass department, I highly recommend picking one up!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 AM

I have the 8" bazooka as well and unfortunately paid 499 installed through Toyota. The bass it provides is fine for an average user, but is severely underpowered when you have an audiophile in the drivers seat. It was a mistake for me and now, i have an alpine type e 12 in the back that is spliced into one of the channels for the bazooka sub and now, its at least bearable. The biggest problem I have with it is that Toyota and bazooka got together and figured to make a box for it using an 8" sub when it needs a 10" sub and then also ruined the airspace in the box by shoving the amp into the box right in the middle of the resonant space. Epic-fail. The speaker cannot function well given those physical shortcomings and thats not even all. They also, even though bazooka is a sub company, decided it was wiser to tap the sub signal into the right front speaker when a sub is supposed to be crossed over to remove high frequencies. Another epic fail. This is supremely irresponsible and utterly wrong for the two companies to do this to people. The car is primarily marketed to young people who want to afford their first car. This means that they will probably want to turn their music up from time to time and will undoubtedly be disappointed in the end. Between pioneer or alpine for the decks offered, bazooka, and Toyota, they should have done the simple work to make the systems wired and set up right. Its just not fair to do this to people. The sub could never perform well with how its designed and set up and all three companies knew this going in. Its not like their products would have to do R&D to get it done right. Most of their current models are made correctly to begin with. Thats why they are trusted names. Its a sad state of affairs to have this be the way things are done. I'm glad you like it enough, but i was and am very disappointed with the sub. Not right. I dont want to hijack the thread, just want to give my 2 cents on it. Okay. Rant over. Enjoy the sub! Aloha!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 PM

I didn't think you were hijacking. It's great that we have this forum and can have opinions and facts posted from multiple people on a single product. I agree that if you have a good ear for car audio and are into that type of thing, the bazooka is probably not the one for you. But like you said, if you're just an average guy/girl who doesn't want to spend a ton of money and aren't replacing head units and factory speakers, I think it works just fine. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hijack https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205964