Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cheapo way of making a quiet ride (UPDATE: Now with DIY!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i got owens corning
pink fivberlass insulation. unfaced
58.96 sq ft
6/14 thickness.
2x6 walls

is that the right one?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-27-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
Honestly any of them should be fine. I wasn't too concerned about r-values in terms of using the pink insulation as the higher number indicates better capacity at absorbing heat. So any pink insulation combination should be fine. I purchased a r-7 type in several batts and used that to insulate my doors. The sound quality is superb.

What I will be addressing soon (hopefully next week) is the dilemma on the previous page concerning water and possible mold growth. Once I have this settled, I will re-do my doors as necessary and follow up with another video DIY.
ahh ok. i just tried to find the amount you got for that price. I HATE HEAT so i'm gonna fine a really low R-value one and go with that

also tell me about using saran wrap? i like the cheapness of that. so tell me what your idea for keeping the water our with saran wrap. and i'll do it tomorrow morning. and see how it works. I'm returning the r=13 i just bought and finding the r-7 in the morning.

where did u find the r-7?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i justfinished the front doors. and hood*

HOW THE ____ DID U GET THAT HOOD PART. seriously i damn near tore open my hands and that padding trying to get in there. there's no system or easy way like everything else on the car.....

Wind/engine noise has died alot i guess i actually liked hearing my engine rev. Sound quality has increased. when i'm outside the car i can still hear it quite well, but i haven't done the rear doors, and maybe i'll add moy insulation later. (not like i'll run out of it soon.

On a side note i was sad, i had new door speakers to install but there was no wiring harness so i have to wait till one comes in the mail. which sucks. but overall good mod. takes work. started at 9:30 ish finished around 12, no breakfast or brakes. (i am slow and the speaker part did hold me up.)
Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Old 07-31-2009, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
Glad to hear that your installation went well. This is definitely one of those modifications that should take some time, especially since you are disassembling parts of the car and gluing things together.

My take on the saran wrap is that it will definitely water proof the material to prevent it from molding. What I was thinking of using in my box was either that or maybe even a trash bag. I even thought about using the EcoFi carpet squares from earlier in the topic to put against the metal and then follow up with more insulation.

The sound quality has improved in my car and can barely be heard outside on medium volumes. On louder volumes, you can hear it if you move closer to the door and stand near the speaker. Not bad for a stock setup. I'm not really an audiophile, so this setup is pretty much fine for me. I might get more powerful speakers in the future, but it's last on my list.

Yeah... that was definitely one of the harder parts. Once you get the hang of pulling out the locks in the insulation cover, it's not that hard to take it off. When I pulled mine off, I glued down insulation on that. The hardest part was putting it back on, what with the extra thickness. But it compresses well, and since it has a lower r-value, it won't retain as much heat. So it silences my car better and does not interfere with temperatures.
yea i couldn't find any r-7 or lower than 13 at my lowes so i have a ____ load left over. how did u got those locks to pop out the hood? i used flat heads and pried like mad. there has to be an easier way. i'm thinking since the r-7 is easier to pack and compress than my 13 thats why u may have gotten better outside noise cancellation. Sound quality is dope though.

as for the wrap. just lay saranwrap over the whole door? or in that section where u pulled up the tar?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-27-2018 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Update readers on progress
Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i'm not done either. i will be posting videos and such. my r-13 is not as impressive as pyro's compressed r-13 but it does work some what. so its coming say tuesday or so.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about using Great Stuff foam sealer. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
I have used it to fill gaps near plumbing as it comes up from my crawl space. It is self adhering and water proof.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Old 08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jthistle
What about using Great Stuff foam sealer.
Great for specific areas, but not something you'd want to use in the doors.

For places like where the kick panels go up to the dash, or A, B & C pillars, it can definitely help reduce resonances and outside noise. The thing is, it requires air to dry, so you have to use it a little at a time in this application. If you just fill a big pillar all at once, the middle inside will never cure, it'll remain a sticky, gooey mess and won't have the desired noise reduction effect.

I've used it for both home & car, was in all the pillars of my old '91 Sentra for about 10yrs, did the job with no issues at all.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have no idea on the cost of the product, but there are DIY expanding foam insulation for sale now. These are pretty much the same products used by professional installation crews to insulate homes. There are spray foam and also injection. Spray foams are usually used at the new construction with care studs amd injection method is used in retrofit situation with drywall already up. I can see both system working well with cars.

I looked up some of the costs, and you can do 205 board foot (12" x 12" x 1") for around $300. Probably not cost effective for one car, but if you're just doing door panels, 205 board foot is probably sufficient to do 3-4 cars, at least.

Once you look deeper, you'll find closed cell and open cell and other variations. While they may be relevant to thermal insulation, for sound insulation, the differences may be negligible.

edited to add: And since these are designed to be injected into wall cavities, you won't have the curing problem another poster mentioned with Great Stuff and those canned foams even if it is never exposed to open air.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by juicius
I looked up some of the costs, and you can do 205 board foot (12" x 12" x 1") for around $300.
A single can of the Great Stuff expanding foam runs $5-10 and is enough for about 4 average sized car pillars.

For the amount of $ you're talking, people could purchase injectable structural foam made specifically for cars, which not only reduces noise, but actually increases the structural rigidity of the vehicle. Not many people are willing to spend that kind of $ or take noise reduction to that level.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As an instaler I would not recommend putting pink home insulation in your car. There are much better ways of doing this. A short bit of searching and Im sure you will be able to find many other better cheap options.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Old 09-09-2009, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

expanding foam as mentioned previously, there are lots of options similar to dynamat online at discounted prices. im just trying to get across that having home insulation in your car is not a good option. as mentioned before, water does get inside the door panel and the insulation may get soacked and moldy.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not garunteed you will get odor or mold.. especially not within a few days. but over time it will definately happen. I dont know how you would waterproof the pink insulation. But best of luck to you and if I come up with anything Ill be sure to post it.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
i also put it in my front doors and it helped get rid of that tinny sound when they close.
I hate that tin sound when the door closes. So much cheaper sounding then the tC. I feel like I'm in one of those popcorn tin cans.lol
Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
I hate that tin sound when the door closes. So much cheaper sounding then the tC. I feel like I'm in one of those popcorn tin cans.lol
I don't have that problem, but then again, I found it necessary to judiciously install eDead when I upgraded my radio and drivers (kept the OE tweeters). My doors come across as very solid.

Quick Reply: Cheapo way of making a quiet ride (UPDATE: Now with DIY!)