Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Exellent, Affordable 2012 XB Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Just a final followup on this project..after a week of driving around and listening to the extremes of my MP3 collection (lol) I AM COMPLETELY SATISFIED WITH THIS UPGRADE!! Even the bass is satisfactory and maybe I'll experiment with a sub down the road but I'm hearing what I need to for now. Reading through all the audio threads, the needs of our fellow XBers span the spectrum of needs and tastes but for the average listener that just wants a nice clean, balanced, affordable upgrade I think this setup is worth looking into.

Thanks to all the previous posters whos information was invaluable in helping me make my choices
Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM
SL Member

Yea the factory "premium" sound is horrible, I'm glad I came across this thread. Definitely gonna look into this.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 PM

I dont't mean to thread-jack, but a couple of posts back someone mentionsed resetting the head unit to XB instead of TC. What is meant by that? Is there a setting or some way to do this? I had to disconnect my battery, in my 2009 xb with base HU and it hasnt sounded the same since.

Thank you
Old 01-28-2012, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yodabiri
I dont't mean to thread-jack, but a couple of posts back someone mentionsed resetting the head unit to XB instead of TC. What is meant by that? Is there a setting or some way to do this? I had to disconnect my battery, in my 2009 xb with base HU and it hasnt sounded the same since.

Thank you
i have the SNS100 and i always make sure to take a pic of my eq settings if i have to reset it. I HATE trying to dial in my set up again, especially with the lack of settings to choose from.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:35 PM

Ok now I get what you meant by resetting the HU.
Now I have another question. How did you guys install new speakers in the doors? I plan to install the BA SC60s in the front and BAS65s in the back. I know you have to drill out the rivets on the stock ones. Do the mounting holes on the BA speakers match up with the rivet holes? Also do the rear speakers require fabrication of some sort, or maybe a bracket? I apologize for the noob questions, but I havent dealt with this car's audio components yet.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I can also vouch for BA. I have 10" G5 subwoofer (discontinued, now there is the spg555) and the BA pro60se component speakers in the front. My BA setup is absolutely amazing. Just 500w of bass can be a little much for normal listening.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ordered a set of these speakers, thanks for the info.

OP, did you have to make adapters for the rears? Just would like to know what I would need before starting.

Thanks,
Rick

Edit: Answered my own question, no adapter needed. Just drill new holes.

Last edited by RicRat; 04-09-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:27 PM

Default Need input help

Originally Posted by AJ_Gil
I recently bought a 2012 Scion XB with the base Pioneer sound system and IMHO the highs were terrible (annoyingly edgy) and the overall sound flat sounding. I'm a musician, have built a couple of recording studios and listen to almost all my music driving in the car ('60s-'70s Classic Rock, old R&B and some oldies).

I talked to the top audio builder / installer in the area and he said "forget the rear speakers and put your money in the fronts because that's what you'll listen to" so, I skipped the cheaper BA S60s and went with these BA SC60s which after reading a bunch of reviews seemed to strike a reasonable balance between cost and sound.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ADS85V7PTEW39P

What an improvement these made! I've always been a Boston Acoustics fan for the warm sound and these didn't dissapoint. The highs are clear as a bell, a couple of acoustic guitar passages are soooo realistic and the real suprise was the bass. I was figuring to eventually add a sub when I saw that 55hz bass spec but no, the bass is smokin'! (I may still add the sub down the road but no hurries thanks to these).

I set the crossovers to -2db and it wouldn't hurt to go -4 for a perfect balance as the highs are a bit hot from this head unit. I have it set to "feel", bass to 0 and treble to -2 (that's why I suggest -4 on the crossovers to run the unit flat).
For those of us on a tight budget I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE!!!

Hello,

I just bought a 2011 XB, and the sound sucks big time and distorted. I am looking for an upgrade and your comments and recommendations are very helpful!
will the speakers work for 2011 model? I am clueless on these technicalities 😳, I drive a lot so need good sound. It is sooo bad now that I am using my portable Bluetooth speakers lol.

I heard that I need to upgrade the audio system if I want to upgrade speaker as the signal output needs to be compatible to the speakers to get the sound. Is that true? I’m on tight budget, not looking for the cheapest upgrade but a reasonable quality to cost balance.

Any suggestions and input is much appreciated!!
Old 06-10-2022, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Waterbabe
Hello,

I just bought a 2011 XB, and the sound sucks big time and distorted. I am looking for an upgrade and your comments and recommendations are very helpful!
will the speakers work for 2011 model? I am clueless on these technicalities 😳, I drive a lot so need good sound. It is sooo bad now that I am using my portable Bluetooth speakers lol.

I heard that I need to upgrade the audio system if I want to upgrade speaker as the signal output needs to be compatible to the speakers to get the sound. Is that true? I’m on tight budget, not looking for the cheapest upgrade but a reasonable quality to cost balance.

Any suggestions and input is much appreciated!!
I honestly love seeing threads get brought back from the dead because I missing spending time on forums. I'm not the OP but I actually did an audio build running Boston Acoustics front speakers & tweeters plus a 10" BA sub. Sadly I sold my 2011 xb a while back but it was such a great platform for audio enthusiasts. Also Boston Acoustics went out of business sadly.

I would suggest doing your research and taking your time unless you want to pay a lot of money for somebody to just do everything for you. Some sites like Crutchfield.com (https://www.crutchfield.com/car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx) have good support teams which can help you with spec'ing your audio and making sure things are compatible with your car. There are a few things I can definitely recommend:
  • Consider installing Dynamat or a similar material inside your doors. This not only helps with road noise but effectively increases your sound quality my removing vibrations and producing higher quality sound. IMO it's a waste to take your door panels off and cheap out on this step
  • Ensure your electrical system can handle the wattage of your system. I know the point is to be budget focused but running new, thicker gauge wiring from you battery etc. can increase your cars tolerance depending on both your systems max wattage and "RMS" (basically more like the measure of average/continuous wattage the system uses)
Car audio is kind of hard to do cheaply especially if you're not mechanically inclined and willing to understand some super basic electrical stuff. I spent near $1k on getting a somewhat premium setup and did half the installation myself. Pro installation can be very good if you find a good shop and good workmanship is pricey but worth it 100%.

Last think I'll say, if this isn't worth more than a couple hundred dollars to you and you it may be realistically out of your reach. Modifying cars takes a lot of knowledge and money however it can be rewarding. I remember going outside at night between 8-11pm sometime just to listed to music in my car, good times.