Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Has anyone fit a sub under one of the seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

ScionFred, out of curiosity, where did you stuff the sensor?

I was thinking about just zip tying it up and out of the way.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I was looking under the seat when i had them out, I was thinking of getting rid of the bracket that hangs down and actually mounting the sensor on top of the metal piece that held the bracket in the first place. the sensor looks like it will reach there when it's plugged in. I was thinking of double-sided tape or zip ties too.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matrixv01
Looking forward to seeing pics of the completed install. What size Premier sub is that? That's a tiny amp. Very cool. My Clarion is working out nicely paired with my Rockford Fosgate 12" 200W enclosure. It's a bit bigger than the Blaupunkt but puts out 400W. So far so good. If someone doesn't mind the size it's on sale for $129.99 on Crutchfield.
The sub is only an 8". I really need the trunk space so I'm hoping it sounds good. I think it will because I was almost happy with the small powered sub I had before. The amp I have is tiny, but it packs some punch! They make a 5 channel that will fit under the driver's seat. That would be sweet for a full system. Maybe I'l upgrade to that someday...
Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very cool setup Scionfred.
Yes.. real Nice, Fred!! came out great!!! Good job!!! Do you like the sound?? cool!! hey.. did you block off the heater vent under your drivers seat?? You know, your 'amp heater'??.... very good!!! jh
Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice Fred, clean too
Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's almost like I copied Fred! Here's my setup. I cut off the protruding portion of the floor vent to make the box fit between the humps. Those vents only turn on when you switch your HVAC controls to do so (which I never do) so it's all good. I could actually go with a bigger box. Makes me wonder what this sub would do with more volume (I can go 30% bigger easily). There's some good bass coming out of this thing, but it does lack the gut-busting deep lows that a much larger box can produce. Considering I lose no cargo space, I'll take it. I can always throw my 2 10's in the back ang plug them in if I want huge bass.

Fred, I ended up bending the bracket like yours and zip tying the sensor up top. You could always bend the bracket back and put it all back to stock if you want to. I wish I could hear what yours sounds like.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Real Nice!, beef!! Simple & Clean! Good Job!.. jh
Old 12-03-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I just put a eD SQ10 under my passenger seat in a down-firing 13.25"x12"x7.5" box. I had to relocate all of the underseat wiring, sensor box and bend some metal brackets out of the way but it sounds great and was well worth the effort,
Thanks for the pictures Do you have a link to the box you used?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great! I like the combo of that Blaupunkt amp and Pioneer sub.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
ScionFred, out of curiosity, where did you stuff the sensor?

I was thinking about just zip tying it up and out of the way.
I mounted it to the topside of the long metal bracket using one of the mounting bolts and a nut I had on hand. If you look closely at my photos you should see the sensor and it's mounting bolt. Zip ties or 2-sided tape would probably work just as well.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
Very cool setup Scionfred.
Yes.. real Nice, Fred!! came out great!!! Good job!!! Do you like the sound?? cool!! hey.. did you block off the heater vent under your drivers seat?? You know, your 'amp heater'??.... very good!!! jh
Thanks! I'm still tweaking the settings but I'm very happy with the level of bass. The 10" Pioneer box I had in back was barely able to match the spl of the front speakers but this sub setup exceeds them. I have it crossed at 90Hz with the gain at 1/2 and I think I need to turn both down a little. I blocked off the heater vent on the amp side but left the one on the sub side open, although the sub box effectively blocks it off anyway.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rockthebeef:

I really like your new sub setup. Very clean and that box is a perfect fit under the seat. I wish I could hear it and vice versa. It's hard to describe how mine sounds but someone told me that a down-firing enclosure like this would generate some bandpass effect and I think they were correct. It sounds very deep, hits much harder than I expected but perhaps at the expense of some accuracy. I've been out of town for the past few days so I haven't had any time to tweak it yet. I want to try crossing it lower and also flip the box over to see how it sounds firing up.

I'm a little surprised that you had to move that sensor for yours but in your last pic it looks like it was necessary. That dambed sensor hangs soooo low! At least by just bending the bracket up we can always go back to the stock layout.

Zlog:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-UNDER-SEAT-DO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Rockthebeef:

I really like your new sub setup. Very clean and that box is a perfect fit under the seat. I wish I could hear it and vice versa. It's hard to describe how mine sounds but someone told me that a down-firing enclosure like this would generate some bandpass effect and I think they were correct. It sounds very deep, hits much harder than I expected but perhaps at the expense of some accuracy. I've been out of town for the past few days so I haven't had any time to tweak it yet. I want to try crossing it lower and also flip the box over to see how it sounds firing up.

I'm a little surprised that you had to move that sensor for yours but in your last pic it looks like it was necessary. That dambed sensor hangs soooo low! At least by just bending the bracket up we can always go back to the stock layout.

Zlog:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-UNDER-SEAT-DO...QQcmdZViewItem
I should try flipping mine over too to see what happens. Maybe I'll get deeper bass?

The only reason I had to move the sensor was that it was hitting the speaker grill/bar when the seat is moved far back. It probably won't hit if a normal-sized person was sitting in the chair, but I wanted to ensure full travel. Plus I already had the seat out so it was a good time to move the sensor.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One more thing Fred,

What did you use for the box's "feet". How did you atach them to the box too?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i could answer that one. get some dowels and some long screws at the hardware store. drill em/screw em on and cap em with a foot
Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, any of you guys using that fiber filler stuff that you can stick in an enclosure that is supposed to increase performance like you'd get in a larger enclosure?

To me it would seem that stuff would only work on a ported sub but they dont specify of course.

Thanks for the links and answers. I've done plenty of "space not an issue" installs but now I've got a wife and groceries
Old 12-03-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rockthebeef:

Zlog is correct. I used 7/8" wood dowel rod, cut to length, center-drilled, painted flat black, fitted with rubber feet and long wood screws, all from Home Depot for <$5. IMO this is a far better approach than the extended sides used on many DF boxes. With 4 feet the box is open on all 4 sides and it lets you customize the box height for individual applications.

As for flipping your box, I really can't say how it would sound but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Zlog:

I used poly-fill in this sealed box. Supposedly it slows down the sound waves in the box making the driver perform like it was in a slightly larger box. My box is only .3cf before the driver and ~.275cf after. IIRC, poly-fill can theoretically add as much as having 20% more box volume. I can't vouch for it but I bought a big bag of the stuff years ago so I use it in small enclosures just in case it really helps.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not meaning to be a post ***** but I thought I'd update my impressions of my new SQ10 underseat box. At first I thought it had great bass output for a single 10" but was a little boomier than I like. After some tweaking I found that the problem was my 90Hz crossover point. It sounded good with my previous box but simply turning it down to 70Hz made a huge improvement in SQ. My theory is that the 90Hz x-over pt overlapped too much with the main speakers producing a peak in the ~90Hz range that wasn't so obvious with a rear-facing sub in the cargo hold.

Anyway, I'm stoked with this underseat sub setup and highly recommend it to anyone more interested in stealth than ground-shaking bass. Also, I adjusted the rear box height a tad from 8" to 7 3/4" because 8" was kind of tight against the seat. Now the seat slides easily without any box contact. The new box dimensions are 13.25" x 12" x 7.25" (front) and 7.75" (rear). I double-checked the rear seat foot room and even with 13.25" of box depth, my size 12 feet fit fine in the footwell. My 14 yo kids didn't even notice it was there.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great updates. I'm thinking that I'll either shamelessly copy your setup, or i'll do the ED spare install. Gonna have to digest it a bit though and decide if i want to lose my spare or not.

Do you get a decent hit/kick out of the sub? I'm not after having to adjust my mirrors frequently, however i do like to feel the hit of a drum or the strum of a bass guitar
Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Feel free to copy my setup. I accept donations via Paypal.

It's so hard to say how this setup sounds. It's so subjective and I have little reference for comparison. Previously I had a 10" Polk in a .66cf sealed box in the trunk of a Mazda 626 and a Pioneer 10" in the same box in the back of my XB. Both were powered with this 120Wrms Kenwood mono amp. The new SQ10 setup plays louder, hits harder and has better SQ than the other setups. I definitely feel the bass enough for me but I'm sure that a larger enclosure with more power would hit much harder.

If you go with the eD setup just make sure you have a lot more power than this Kenwood amp. The next time I install a rear-facing sub in back I'm planning to have at least 250W to drive it. Sorry I can't be more help.

Quick Reply: Has anyone fit a sub under one of the seats?