Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HELP!! Under seat sub! What should I get??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default HELP!! Under seat sub! What should I get??

Im going to get a sub and have it under my seat. I just want to no what everyone else has. Im proble going to go with a powered sub but might go another way if it is better. Any info would be great!

Ideas I have-
Infinity basslink (if it fits under the seat)
Kicker 11HS8

Those are it for now!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pioneer shallow 12!!!! If you get them off ebay and use a good amp they will pound hard. I have 2 in my trunk an they are loud!

You could easily put one under each front seat as they only need minimal mounting depth and run it off an amp from underneath the rear seat cushion. I have all mine under my rear seat and it works nice and hides everything. I have had my pair for over 4 years now and they still hit like brand new.

Last edited by oreoremix42; 12-05-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member

I'm planning to follow BrickPig's custom designed box.

https://sites.google.com/site/brickp...---stealth-sub

It uses an 8" Rockford Fosgate for an adequate and civilized bass boost. At this time I'm working on a layout drawing from his plans so as to make it easy to get cutting on a 2'x4'x3/4" piece of MDF as he specifies.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM

I have a 2011 XB and went with the Pioneer TS SWX251:

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" Flat Subwoofer with Enclosure 800 Watts: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" Flat Subwoofer with Enclosure 800 Watts: Car Electronics

It's a 10" pioneer downward facing sub in it's own nice little box.

I put this under the passenger seat, and a nice amp to power it under the drivers seat.

Pros: There is absolutely no modifying or altering of my car. Fits nicely under the passenger seat (will not fit under the drivers seat because of few things under the seat). Keeps your trunk empty so that you can still use it for storage etc. Sounds very good (I mostly listen to rock, so I'm not looking for ground cracking bass, but this definitely adds nice bass to my music, and it can get much much louder!). Can be removed in about 30 seconds. Clean...simple...effective.

Cons: It does stick out into the foot area of the rear passenger seat by about 6 inches...but, it is completely flat on the top, so someone can just put their feet on it with no worries (otherwise you can just remove it as stated earlier).

I've had this setup for about 18 months now with absolutely no problems, and it sounds awesome. Cost me about $250 all together (speaker, amp, install kit).

Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In most cases, you'll need to cut the a/c vent under the seat. It's just plastic, so it's easy. I'll be posting box dimensions of my underseat boxes (as soon as I find them on this computer). They use Fosgate 8" subs and are made from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. The left side has different box dimensions from the right as the underseat configurations are different. Amps mounted over the spare. Look at Dual Voice Coil Subs and Amp options at the top of the list for pictures.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For an even bigger potential but still stealth is remove the tire and tools in the cargo area and build you a box in the tire well.

Relocate your spare tire up under your trunk floor on the outside with custom fabrication.

That would give you a lot more airspace to fool around with.

You could even raise the new false floor to the same level it was before you removed anything so you could build a good 2-5cuft ported enclosure firing up and still build it flush so you could lay anything you wanted to back there as if it were stock.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For my Fosgate 8" subs, I made two different sized boxes, fitted for each seat's unique challenges ( I didn't want to move the car's electronic packs under there).

LEFT: 15-1/2 x 9-1/4 x 5"

RIGHT: 18-1/4 x 8-1/2 x 4-3/4"

I used 1/2 Baltic Birch (comes in 60x60" sheets), which can be found at the better wood suppliers. I didn't trust MDF that thin to not split when I used air staples or screws. You may want to add some "wings" onto the sides of the right box (3/4" x 1-1/2" x 4") for cosmetic reasons so the speaker mounting ring won't overhang the enclosure. I used 1" nylon web straps to keep the speakers solid to the floor. Since the seats must be removed to take out the enclosures, I figured the straps were enough. For a finish, I used truck bed liner spray. Goes on easy and is tougher than regular paint.

The amps (2) went into the rack box mounted over the spare tire.

Sorry to say, practically none of this was original! Pioneer Electronics fitted one of their regional sales manager's personal xB with their shallow mount 8" subs in a custom fiberglass enclosure (under seat, of course), and 4 amps in a custom rack over the spare tire, replacing the factory cargo floor panel and tool holders.