Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Key Mysteries unvailed, Chip or no Chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Smile Key Mysteries unvailed, Chip or no Chip

You want another key but you are not sure if you need to spring fr the dealer fee of $360 for a key and programing. I had the same dilemma. I asked the service guy at two different Scion dealerships and they quoted me $300 to $360 for a new key and the programing. I was not satisfied with this answer. I went to the parts department and had them pull up the vehicle's VIN number and checked what equipment came on the car. They did not see a transponder installed from the factory. The parts guy said that I could then use a normal key. Scion wanted $15 for the key. Too much for me for a normal key. I then went to Home Depot and asked for them to make me a key. They had a device there that they slip your key into and test it for a transponder chip. He confirmed that it did not. I had him make me a standard Toyota key. It fit fine and started the car with no issues (2008 XB) and cost me $2. My next step is to get a cheap key with built in remote from Ebay for $50 and they usually come with remote programing instruction included. Don't let the stealership take your money for no reason. The service guys did not tell me that I did not need to go down this road. They just wanted the $$$ and have no conscious. I would have paid the $360 and would have never known the difference.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

So someone can just write down your vin from your dash, find a way to make a copy of your key and steal your xb2 because we don't have a transponder in the key?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
So someone can just write down your vin from your dash, find a way to make a copy of your key and steal your xb2 because we don't have a transponder in the key?
Yes when I had keys made I just brought in a sheet of paper with my VIN written on it and no questions asked they cut me a key. Did this at two dealerships too, neither one asked a single question they just cut the key and handed me a bill.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I asked the stealership about making a key from the VIN and they said that they can not. They did give me the info about the car though.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Hix
Yes when I had keys made I just brought in a sheet of paper with my VIN written on it and no questions asked they cut me a key. Did this at two dealerships too, neither one asked a single question they just cut the key and handed me a bill.

wow.... that's actually very disturbing.
I would think that they would've at least verified that you were the true owner of the vehicle before cutting regardless if you have the VIN in hand or not. Social engineering at it's finest eh?

Makes me want to go cut a piece of sheet metal over the visible VIN on my car right now!

and the 2 dealerships that would do that for you without asking.... you should report them.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The thing about not having a chip in the key has been known for quite a while, if you searched.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

well regardless whether or not the key was one with a chip in it or not... the dealership should have verified WHO they were making the key for.
I think that is one of the main points the thread starter was trying to get across as well. Which just makes it that much easier for someone looking to steal a car.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
Makes me want to go cut a piece of sheet metal over the visible VIN on my car right now!
Many people simply cover their VIN with a small piece of paper or upside-down business card, but be aware that it is against the law to cover your VIN, and is a ticket-able offense. You'd probably only get cited in Cali though.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:04 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Wow this is news to new to me and a disappointment, cars 10 years ago had transponder keys, how in the world do we not? Not too worried though, my vin on my dash has been covered and the xb isnt a Honda Civic.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:29 AM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow.... that's actually very disturbing.
I would think that they would've at least verified that you were the true owner of the vehicle before cutting regardless if you have the VIN in hand or not. Social engineering at it's finest eh?

and the 2 dealerships that would do that for you without asking.... you should report them.
Car's not in my name not the same address or anything actually. Both dealerships were the same and mentioned in my signature... It's the same dealership that I took my car to to get the chip in the key reprogrammed (lost the only key I had) and they blew up my turbo, cracked my body kit, and insulted me and the car to defend themselves.

I am currently in the process of suing them with the BBB and Scion corporate backing me.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Many people simply cover their VIN with a small piece of paper or upside-down business card, but be aware that it is against the law to cover your VIN, and is a ticket-able offense. You'd probably only get cited in Cali though.
Well even if doing that is a ticket-able offense.... I'd still rather get a ticket for it than to have someone take down the VIN and get a key made for it.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hix
Wow... that's scary!!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:34 AM

[quote=My next step is to get a cheap key with built in remote from Ebay for $50 and they usually come with remote programing instruction included. Don't let the stealership take your money for no reason.quote]

I am in the same boat. My daughter lost one of the original keys. I had a duplicate plain metal key made for $2.50 that starts the car just fine. (No immobilizer chip.)

I want to get a blank Toyota key with keyless entry buttons: about $50 on ebay.

Did you get the instructions to program the remote? Did they work? I hate to rely on the dealership.

Thanks,
Barry
Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well even if doing that is a ticket-able offense.... I'd still rather get a ticket for it than to have someone take down the VIN and get a key made for it.
i keep a flier over mine from scikotics so they stop leaving them on my windshield, has a dual purpose
Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an aftermarket alarm that goes off if you just use the key to open the doors and it wont let you start the car so i think i am safe.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 AM
SL Member

Even if they make a key should the OEM alarm keeep the car from starting?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tmkpres
Even if they make a key should the OEM alarm keeep the car from starting?
Dunno if the OEM alarm has an immobilizer/starter kill. Even with some aftermarket alarms, some installers don't hook up the starter kill unless you ask them (and they'll charge you extra).

Easy enough to test, lock/arm the car while you're sitting inside, then try and start the car. Note that some alarms with a valet switch can be disarmed by pressing the valet switch the correct # of times while turning the key. No key = takes longer.