Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Speaker and Amp Upgrade for RS6.0 with AVIC 900BT

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Perhaps you didn't read my post or didn't take it seriously?

I suggest upgrading your speakers first, and installing panel damping second, if that's insufficient to meet your needs, then replace the head unit. On the other hand -- you can just spend money *****-nilly and really, who here really cares !
Did not read your post.

Went back and read it Did you replace everything at once? Or in stages?

I am going to install damplifier from Second Skin.

It seems as though replacing speakers and replacing the head unit monetarily run about the same- at least what I am looking at purchasing.

I am not one to spend money *****-nilly since I really don't have too much extra laying around.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ocotillo
It seems as though replacing speakers and replacing the head unit monetarily run about the same- at least what I am looking at purchasing.
I already have the AVIC 900BT that comes as part of the RS6.0 package. So, I'm not planning on upgrading my HU any time soon. After the subwoofer, I figure the next most cost effective upgrade for me will be the front speakers and a decent amp.

I may also throw an inexpensive set of 6.5" coaxials in the back or my rear seat passengers.

PDX_xB
Old 12-26-2009, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PDX_xB
I already have the AVIC 900BT that comes as part of the RS6.0 package. So, I'm not planning on upgrading my HU any time soon. After the subwoofer, I figure the next most cost effective upgrade for me will be the front speakers and a decent amp.

I may also throw an inexpensive set of 6.5" coaxials in the back or my rear seat passengers.

PDX_xB
It sounds as though you have a better starting point than I do.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ocotillo
Did not read your post.

Went back and read it Did you replace everything at once? Or in stages?

I am going to install damplifier from Second Skin.

I am not one to spend money *****-nilly since I really don't have too much extra laying around.
Hopefully, I'm not considered radical on this, but it's really the same as engine performance. You take it step by step and evaluate where you are and what you need to do to get to where you want. My advice is speakers first and panel damping second. If more is needed, then look closely at the head unit.

I suggest definitely don't change everything at once, that leaves you with no idea as to what change resulted in what sonic difference. Everybody's taste in sound is different, so, if you embrace someone else's solution, you also embrace their taste. What if that isn't a fit for you? My point is to make your own decisions, not simply go by what others advise.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the headunit is pretty much everything in car audio as far as i'm concerned. followed by install and then the speakers. you can have the best speakers in the world, but without proper amplification and a great signal going to them, it's a waste of money.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
the headunit is pretty much everything in car audio as far as i'm concerned. followed by install and then the speakers. you can have the best speakers in the world, but without proper amplification and a great signal going to them, it's a waste of money.
That's one viewpoint, another is that if the speakers are dubious, the best imaginable HU will still result in dubious sound. The one given is the OE speakers are a serious compromise (true in every car I've ever owned). Changes should start there, not at the head unit.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Yep. However, sub-par drivers are also a weak point in an audio system. Honestly, I replaced my h/u and was happy for a while. Then I added a 2 channel amplifier and my components. Now I'm happier than ever! But I still want Hybrid Audio Technologies drivers...
That's one viewpoint, another is that if the speakers are dubious, the best imaginable HU will still result in dubious sound. The one given is the OE speakers are a serious compromise (true in every car I've ever owned). Changes should start there, not at the head unit.
Yes and no. Pete W. Kulicki built an enclosure that housed a single Roadmaster brand 5.25" driver. He got that enclosure and driver setup to sound like a pair of 8's or a single 10" subwoofer. However, that is with a subwoofer system. It's all in what the person wants. If someone wants more than what the OEM headunit has to offer, opt for a new headunit.

One suggestion to everyone, do research and see what size the tweeter is on any component set you choose. I had to modify the sail panels (OEM tweeter location) to fit some tweets. Was annoying, but had to get done. Also factor in speaker adapters for the midrange drivers. Elemental Designs offers some nice pieces for an alright price. And running better wiring through the OEM wire loom between the door and the jamb is a PITA. My hands are hamburger now.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pdx - here are the pics of what the cdt tweets look like in the factory sail panel. sorry they aren't that great. i suck at photography.

no modification required btw. just pop out the grill and slide these in.

Name:  IMG_0183.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  142.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0184.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  48.3 KB
Old 01-02-2010, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pdx - here are the pics of what the cdt tweets look like in the factory sail panel. sorry they aren't that great. i suck at photography.

no modification required btw. just pop out the grill and slide these in.
Thanks for posting. They look great - and no doubt sound better.

Any particular reason you went with the CL-61As over the CL-62s?

P.S. Did you need any special mounting spacers, rings or adapters for mounting the 6.5" drivers in the stock front door locations?

PDX_xB

Last edited by PDX_xB; 01-02-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Yes and no. Pete W. Kulicki built an enclosure that housed a single Roadmaster brand 5.25" driver. He got that enclosure and driver setup to sound like a pair of 8's or a single 10" subwoofer. However, that is with a subwoofer system. It's all in what the person wants. If someone wants more than what the OEM headunit has to offer, opt for a new headunit.
What has that got to do with my statement that the OE speakers are a serious compromise and the first step should be the speakers, not the HU? I see no "no" in your response!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys,

I don't mean to be rude, but can we keep this on topic?

As clearly stated in the subject line, and in my first post, I already have a Pioneer AVIC F900BT. It came with my RS6.0 and I have no intention of upgrading my head unit anytime soon. I asked specifically about speakers and and amp to compliment my existing head unit - not which I should replace first. Arguing about upgrading the head unit or speakers first is a nice topic - for a different thread.

Thanks,
PDX_xB
Old 01-02-2010, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys,

I don't mean to be rude, but can we keep this on topic?

As clearly stated in the subject line, and in my first post, I already have a Pioneer AVIC F900BT. It came with my RS6.0 and I have no intention of upgrading my head unit anytime soon. I asked specifically about speakers and and amp to compliment my existing head unit - not which I should replace first. Arguing about upgrading the head unit or speakers first is a nice topic - for a different thread.

Thanks,
PDX_xB
Sorry for helping get this off topic. Mea Culpa.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people like to ding the pdx amps, i love my little 4.100 though. picked it up for 200 at best buy (on clearance). The birth sheet on my 4.100 actually shows 127 RMS per channel! and it runs hella cool, no distortion from what i can hear. Look into it! its hella small too!

Places like sonicelectronic and audiosavings.com (free shipping / no tax), has the pdx 4.100 for around 300

Last edited by rakisto; 01-02-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for posting. They look great - and no doubt sound better.

Any particular reason you went with the CL-61As over the CL-62s?

P.S. Did you need any special mounting spacers, rings or adapters for mounting the 6.5" drivers in the stock front door locations?

PDX_xB
no technical reason really. when i bought them i was able to get them for dirt cheap and they came with bigger "upgraded" tweeters than the other sets i found.

i had to make a ring to mount the speakers to the door. took maybe 20 minutes max to make 2 sets (for the front and back doors). i used a spare piece of mdf i had lying around and painted the brackets black. looks pretty good imo and does the job as good as anything you can buy.