Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

$349 doc fee

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:30 PM
SL Member

Default $349 doc fee

Hey guys, I will be buying my scion here shortly and I wanted to ask all you guys if you paid MSRP only? The dealer that's in my area is charging me a $349 doc fee that to me really seems stupid. I have been reading on sites and on here that you are only supposed to pay MSRP because thats the whole purpose of the "pure pricing". I have read that some dealers only have a $50 doc fee and some others having doc fee's ranging from $300-$700. That's insane. My salesguy told me that they could NOT take it off and that every car they sell has the $349 added to it. Could the dealer get in trouble for doing this hence the whole "pure pricing". I have NEVER been to any new car dealership to where a dealer would not come down or wheel and deal the price of the car at all. That kind of defeats the purpose on trying to make a deal on a car. Having a buyer that wants their product and cannot deal his way out of $300 to let him walk seems pretty ridiculous to me. But whatever. I thought the whole "pure pricing" would make this process alot better. I will pay MSRP + my new tags and tax and I will be done you know? Screw paying $349 doc fee, $5.50 drive-out tag fee and $9.00 for something else I don't remember what it was for. That's just the process of doing business. I'm not going to be charged twice for doing business when it's already in the MSRP of the car.

But as a smart consumer I will only pay what I know I'm supposed to pay. I will not pay a single dime more or I'm going to walk. It's pretty sad to know that the way it's setup the dealer would rather me walk and get the $349 from someone else than to sell the car to me at MSRP. I'm not trying to be cheap but $349 is $349. Sad
Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the dealer probably would care less if you walked cause they know there is someone that will pay that.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I paid M.S.R.P. like everybody else, + tax, $189 license & registration, $8.75 California Tire Fees, and $55 Document Preparation Fee. As far as I know, every dealership in California charges a Doc. fee, usually between $50-$100.

$349 is highway robbery, unless it includes everything but the sales tax.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I work at a dealership and we charge $197. I know it is middle of the road as far as doc fees go.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:42 PM
SL Member

Well once AGAIN I have decided not to make the purchase on a new '08 xB. First was the A-Pillar creek that made me want to back out because me knowing already that something was going to be wrong with it bothered me. Second the dealer wont come off doc fee's and would rather me walk really pushes me away. What's the world coming too!? LoL

vultures.......
Old 12-08-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what state arfe you in??? California's doc fee is mandated by the dmv and can only be what the dmv says... I believe it is $55 right now, but not positive.... call your local department of motor vehicles or look it up online... or google (state) + doc fee
Old 12-08-2007, 05:54 PM
SL Member

I live in Tennessee. I found this link but still doesn't help me..

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/.ee8d9f5

Come on guys help me out I would really like to be driving a new xB next week.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Doc Fee

I'll PM you 08xB so I don't get banned for flaming.

Either buy an xB2 or just get an Aveo! BTW, Chevy Dealerships have fees too!
Old 12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
SL Member

Yeah don't get banned. And why are you flaming?

Aveo's are BLAH!

I have never paid Chevy dealership fee's. All of my purchases were below MSRP with no fees.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did not pay any doc fee in PA...

I did pay about $35.00 to have my tag(license plate) transferred and to register the car in PA, but EVERYBODY gets charged those here. If I didn't transfer the plate but got a new one it would have been an additional $40.00.

And as far as the car went, it was Pure Price + Dealer Prep (that unless I am mistaken is $620 for all the xBs and is included in the Pure Price) + The One Option I Did Get + PA state tax of %6.

I guess those fees really depend on where you are going to buy and register the car.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:24 PM
SL Member

Before my June purchase, most metro Kansas City area Scion dealers required a $250 "document" fee. My nearest Kansas-side dealer fee was less at $200, but they did not even have one xB in stock (at that time) for a test drive. I paid the $250 fee.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Doc Fees

Flaming is posting an aggressive remark to an idiot remark. I chose to send you a PM & keep it private.

There is NO mystery to pricing a Scion. EVERY Scion Dealership posts their pricing & processing fee on THEIR website. Anything that does not show up better be the DMV, State & Local Taxes. The District Scion Manager audits each dealership to make sure ALL pricing is posted and there is NO haggling. They make sure that each dealership is selling the same way to every customer. That's pure price. You are no more special that the next person that buys a car!

Take the time to check your area Scion Dealerships out on the internet before you go in & act like a fool again. You may not have known it but they had a good laugh on your behalf after you left. AND Unless, the other Scion Dealerships in your area are lower, you are SOL.

Why don't you just sell me the Tanabe DF's that you bought BEFORE you decided to by the xB2 so you don't have to worry about it anymore and you can go back to paying below invoice on a Chevy and getting a car that falls apart before you pay for it & NEVER gets to the point where you have positive equity. That's smarter, isn't it?

Buy the Scion you'll be both happier and smarter!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:17 PM
SL Member

ChspkScion in a PM wrote :

I bet the dealership doesn't care if you buy or not at this point.

If you like the xB2 enough to already buy the Tanabe Springs then the Doc/processing fee should not get in the way. Oh, didn't you offer those to SL members only to change your mind?

You don't want to pay for the dealership to sell you the 16' Alloys thinking you'll save $149 to buy them on line? What about shipping (unless you are in South Carolina), what about getting the Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors swapped? And what about those sweet Axis Shine 19" or 20" wheels you were dreaming about? Didya change yer mind again?

Why do you ask SL members to help you solve these crazy back & forth issues for you? Won't you just change your mind? You flip flop on this xB2 more that John Kerry does about politics.

Prove me wrong but I don't think you will get the xB2 you try too hard to talk yourself out of it.

TO Ride like a PLAYA, you gotta Pay Like a PLAYA!!!! If you can't afford it, buy a Aveo but they will have processing fees too!"

Talk about wanting to get banned. I mearly wanted to know what other people were paying and you act like this calling me a fool? And saying I make idiot remarks? Well look how you are acting tough guy. Come in a chat room and talk tough on the computer but ok.

I should have known by how you talk. All you guys at the dealership are just alike. I was just
asking what everyone else paid. Private message me and talk to me like I'm stupid. You have
fun trying to private message me in chat rooms while your not making any money selling Scions.

Go sell Cadillacs BALLA, oh wait that takes alot of experience LoL

vulture...
Old 12-08-2007, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Doc Fees

oops, I sent that? Sorry, I thought I deleted the PM.

I don't work in the dealership.

Don't take offense to the use of the word idiot. The term does not imply you are stupid only ignorant. Ignorance is something we all have and can be corrected with knowledge. Stupidity is incurable. Just ask me, I haven't been able to get rid of it after 44 years.

Think about how your transaction went at the dealership for a moment. You obviously got to the point to where you were given the numbers on a buyers order to see ALL the figures then decided to back out because the dealer processing fees. The manager surely came over to explain what you were to be paying upon the time of your back out, right?

So, then you left over the $349. Your 26, you've bought cars and this has NEVER come up? Did your parents buy your first car? Come on, I can understand a 19 even 22 year old because it's legit to assume that's there first car. You've been driving for 10 Years, been away on your own for how long? The Dealership is going to have a laugh either way. If your parents were so over protective that this is your first transaction and you had no clue. Or, that you tried to get out of the $349 when all your other dealerships charge the same.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:03 AM
SL Member

I didn't leave once I found out I was going to be charged the fee's. I found out after I could get him finally to show me everything on paper what the final price was out the door. First him being very hesitant about it. Then I realized they were charging me $349 for doc fee's, $5.50 driveout tag and $9 for something else. I asked him what the fee's were as courious to what he would say and he told me it was for paperwork, legal documents and them going to get my tags. I was like your kidding me right.

But yeah I was just curious on why dealerships were charging doc fee's on the "pure pricing" when it's already included in the MSRP of the car.

And yes I have been a little hesitant back and forth only because I'm not sure if I want the car since I found out about the A-Pillar noises and since the dealer wouldn't drop the useless $349 doc fee. I am conservative and wanted to get a good simple deal on a good simple car.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SET (SouthEast Toyota) is charging something like $715 last I checked in all the dealers in my area. How's that for getting it in the rear with no reach around?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

chspk... I think you need to slow down... maybe he hasn't maybe he felt he was getting scammed.... whether you want one for sure or not when it doesn't feel right you should hold off until you are sure.... I have bought more new cars than most people my age, but I know people my age who never bought a new car.... my wifes very first new car was purchased when she was 32
Old 12-09-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is the dmv... try and find on there or call them

http://tennessee.gov/revenue/vehicle/register/
Old 12-09-2007, 12:11 AM
SL Member

Well I'm new to the import buying and I was just wondering what everyone else was paying and why people were being charged for fee's that seem unreasonable.

Yes I have had plenty of GM's and do agree they cannot touch the import manufacturer on reliability. I was just making the switch to import because its cheaper, more reliable and def gets better gas mileage than most domestics. I love the new xB and I hope me and the dealer can come to terms on it.

So that was my whole purpose on the writeup asking what other people paid so that maybe I to could get the deal for MSRP only.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't feel bad.... I have purchased over 15 new vehicles before my xb and when I went in to buy it I have no clue about pure pricing and was trying to negotiate when I was told about it...was nice and made it so much easier and in CA there are so many restrictions on dealers and fees I wasn't worried.... in the past I have received refunds for over paid fees... DMV will fine or shut a dealership down if they start messing with state fees

Quick Reply: $349 doc fee