Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

$349 doc fee

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Doc Fees

I guess I'm getting cranky. Or, bitter, see I wanted those Tanabe DF then 08xB backed out of his offer before I could even post that I wanted them. I wasn't the only one either.

Fat, Dumb & Bitter is no way to go through life.

NOOOOOO, Wait, I AM becoming my Father, LOL.

Sorry 08xB
Old 12-09-2007, 12:53 AM
SL Member

It's ok Chspk, I just found your comments rude out of nowhere. And I'm sorry I changed my mind on selling the springs. Hopupracing.com has those springs for a really good price. I would have only been loosing shipping on them if I sold them too you. They got to my door FAST too. I had them in 2 days.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That doc. fee varies by state. Basically it allows the dealership to charge up to a certain amount, so it just varies by dealer. That being said...they don't have to charge you. Some dealerships might not be flexible about not charging it since they probably tell people that its "required" by the state
Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

comming from some of the gm lines you are nervous about a creek in the a pillar. i read you do not like the aveo. did you know in the last two years the aveo has had a few very critical recalls. one being at a 35 mile inpact the gas can and does crack on some vehicles. now i do not know about you but i will take a creek over the possiblity of my car bursting into flames any day.

one suggestion. try another dealership if you are not happy with that one. unless it is far then i can understand. but if you have one or more close to you ask them. locally by me i have 3 or 4 i can go to. one being rodland kirkland bellevue and seattle. now rodland has answered every question i have asked them about scion's kirkland is also answered the same questions. but one of the sales guys is a bit pushy. but not that bad. i went into bellevue when i first started looking at them and most of the people are nice. but rodland is closer to my house. all the dealerships said the same thing and when asked about what i would be paying out the door all of them said it would vary on where i live, different counties have different taxes the dealers must pay. yes it is different then a sales tax. some state or counties have a tax to help repair the roads and highways. so read up on you local and state taxes to make sure your not accusing your dealer of some fraud over charging you. also go ask other dealerships what fees they have.

ok you say you want an XB but simple stuff seems to be the reason you want to not buy one. seriously 379 in doc fees is not a lot. heck most chevy and ford hid the doc fees by raising the cost of the vehicle to add those in it plus add commissions on to it. so when you go into to buy it and they say they waed the fees. you have already paid them in advance. it is pretty simple you either want to buy one or not. this forum is a great place to find out stuff you need to look for and stuff not to worry about. not to mention majority of the mods on her that are posted do not void your warrenty.

*edit to add this in * https://www.scionlife.com/dealers/tennessee
Old 12-10-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

080b....... If you have a phone & a phone book, then sit down & call other dealers in your area..

I, like you, was taken aback by a $250 'document fee' quoted when talking to the salesman close to closeing. But see.. My deal was NOT an impulse buy. I knew what I wanted & decided to shop around .

So I excused myself & walked to the nearest convience store & started calling.. fortunatly, in my area, I have many Toyota/Scion dealers around..

& I called 4 of them & found after talking to NEW Scion Sales,
that a $99 dollar 'processing document fee was the cheapest out of the 4 that I called..

Walked back there & demanded that i will pay only 99$ for that junk fee. ha ha hahhaha
After a 'salesmen confrence' out of my hearing, he came back & told me something like this.....
" Listen, if you pay the $250 document fee with your deal, then come back in 10 days, I will hand you a 150$ referral check made out to you! That will offset your document fee down to 100$.".
I made him promise just that infront of his boss & shook hands on it (Even though it never got in writing about any so-called 'referral check')...

Well Guess what happened 10 days later??? He PAID OFF!!! Yes.. true to his word, handed me a check for `150$ & told me to goto the cashier there & have her cash it!!!
Anyways.......... in a sense..... my document fee was 250$ but I say it was 100 cause I had to ask for it ( after I quoted another dealers's price to him)..

So , in short.. call around.. even if the other dealera arent close, call anyways.. get 'document processing price quotes, then go back with your newly aquired info & ask them to compensate in some way the difference....

good luck.. & BTW dont buy an extended warranty from them UNLESS you have to finace it. If you can afford to put it on aCC or cash, we'll tell you how to save hundreds......
...jh
Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
SL Member

Well I'm not an impulse buyer. I have been looking at the xB now for month's and decided it would be the best car for my situation. It seems safe for a economical family car, and it gets alot better gas mileage than most cars but could do alot better. And yes it could be alot cheaper I think for no more than it is. But that is a whole other argument.

Yeah as of right now there are only 2 Toyota/Scion dealers in my area. I'm trying to locate dealers in MS right now so well see what happens.

I will finance half of it as I don't want to deplete all my cash funds. And no I won't get a extended warranty as I never have with any new vehicle. But if the dealer in my area will not come off the doc fee price I will just not buy I guess. No biggie

I never relized how small my words are LoL
Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 PM
SL Member

Well I called another dealer in my area and so far the doc fee's are as followed

1. Performance Scion $279
2. Wolfchase Scion $349

Looks like these are the only 2 dealers in my area.

All I have to do now is have these 2 guys fight over me to get me into a new xB
Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by o8xB
Well I called another dealer in my area and so far the doc fee's are as followed

1. Performance Scion $279
2. Wolfchase Scion $349

Looks like these are the only 2 dealers in my area.

All I have to do now is have these 2 guys fight over me to get me into a new xB

Well08xB fif you're not in a big hurry & dead set on getting cheaper doc fees, then I suggest that you shop around even more. Get on the web & search for Scion dealers by you even if they are out of your area.. get you some quotes & go back to your dealer with the ammo you collected.. ask for a price match if you find it even cheaper elsewheres. it doesnt hurt to ask! & if they say NO, then try to bargian in a 'refferral check' or at least a disount on accessories or parts. I have bought quite a few parts now for mine from 'my' dealer as I always ask for a discount & they always deliver, except for my tail lights, cause I didnt ask for it, but they have discounted me off MSRP for my spoiler, ill. door sills, bumper applikay, etc.. (same prices as carson scion who sells on here)..
Good Luck, man & I know you'll love your new car!!!
we're here to help you when you start modding!!!
. jh
ps howz this for smaller print!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:23 PM
SL Member

Yeah I thought of going a little farther out but them I'm looking at the gas to get there and back, and by them it's not worth it.

But I will collect my ammo and see what they have to say about it then, And if they want my business and my money they will have to deal. Besides they are making money either way on the deal
Old 12-10-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default pure price...

Model # 6202= 2008 xB.

Model cost=$16,600

Shipping and destination charges from Japan to your local port and then to your dealership= GST (Gulf States Toyota) $715.

MSRP should reflect on your Maroney sticker (sticker price) $17,315.

"Pure price" SHOULD be $17,315 + TTL. The dealer processing fee has nothing to do with the delivery,processing/handling fee from Scion. For example, my processing fee is $50 + $5 full service deputy fee. My state tax is 6.25% and we have a vehicle inventory tax rate of .002863%. Registration is $105.30 and inspection is $23.75.
Total drive out price...ding, ding, ding...$18,630.81. Makey sense?

Come buy one from me!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Okay, guess I get to be the voice of the dealership again. What the hell happened to Cliffy? He was good at this stuff.

Anyway, every dealership I know of charges a doc fee. The Scion Covenant states that this doc fee must be disclosed on the showroom and on the dealership's website. That fee MUST be charged to EVERY new Scion deal. If it is not, that is NOT COMPLIANT and the dealership will be penalized by Scion upon their compliance audit.

In Iowa, at least, that fee is not mandated by the state. If it is a non-Scion deal the fee can be waved and that happens occasionally. It simply can't happen on a Scion deal. The risk is too great.

What happened in the STL with jimmbomb is not compliant. I don't doubt your word man, I'm sure it happened in fact. It just isn't right. Nothing like that has ever happened here at my dealership and it won't. Again, the risk is too great.

So, yes, doc fees vary from dealership to dealership. They are generally pretty close to each other in a given city or area, but there are exceptions. If you are really concerned about how much of a doc fee you are paying just shop the different websites and pick the lowest one that makes sense to you. Just don't expect that to be waved anywhere you go no matter how stubborn you are about it.

My doc fee is $68.25. I've paid it myself on both of my Scion purchases. In Scion, all deals are equal if the dealership follows the rules they agreed to.

Good luck on the purchase and please feel free to call, email or PM me if you have questions. I'll do my best.

-Alex
Old 12-12-2007, 06:37 PM

I feel your frustration on the differing fees. Here's a Spreadsheet i made to compare prices and monthly payments based on 6.10% financing for 60 months.
http://www.img.alz0rz.net/carpricing.bmp

each joint makes a guaranteed spread on every scion they sell. Some places will gouge you through doc/processing fees. the only other "hidden cost" would be finance charges [money charged for applying for the loan] i had my wife call all the scion dealers and ask them [while recording the convo's] what other costs were involved. The dealership i went with was the cheapest on the externalities [doc fee/finance charge].

hope that helps.

edit: stinkin pic.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by o8xB
I didn't leave once I found out I was going to be charged the fee's. I found out after I could get him finally to show me everything on paper what the final price was out the door. First him being very hesitant about it. Then I realized they were charging me $349 for doc fee's, $5.50 driveout tag and $9 for something else. I asked him what the fee's were as courious to what he would say and he told me it was for paperwork, legal documents and them going to get my tags. I was like your kidding me right.

But yeah I was just curious on why dealerships were charging doc fee's on the "pure pricing" when it's already included in the MSRP of the car.

And yes I have been a little hesitant back and forth only because I'm not sure if I want the car since I found out about the A-Pillar noises and since the dealer wouldn't drop the useless $349 doc fee. I am conservative and wanted to get a good simple deal on a good simple car.
Forgive me for saying this, but you don't sound like a terribly educated SCION consumer. Sure, most car dealers negotiate on pricing, SCION doesn't. Pricing is fixed. You should have known that, it's been their schtick all along.

On top of that, why would you think doc fees are included in the pure price? The MSRP is fixed, but not the cost to the dealer to process the transaction, which varies from state to state, dealer to dealer. Some states cap these costs, apparently your state does not.

The point is, if you don't want to pay it, look for another dealer to do your transaction wtih, but don't expect them to negotiate on the sale price of the car.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by grizzly_choppers
What happened in the STL with jimmbomb is not compliant. I don't doubt your word man, I'm sure it happened in fact. It just isn't right.

So, yes, doc fees vary from dealership to dealership. They are generally pretty close to each other in a given city or area, but there are exceptions.
Good luck on the purchase and please feel free to call, email or PM me if you have questions. I'll do my best.

-Alex
Yes Alex.. You said it yourself!!! "doc fees vary from dealer____ to dealer ship"..

Isnt that what I said in my post???
""""fortunatly, in my area, I have many Toyota/Scion dealers around..

& I called 4 of them & found after talking to NEW Scion Sales,
that a $99 dollar 'processing document fee was the cheapest out of the 4 that I called.. """

just what Alex said..

now point 2.......
i said.. "he came back & told me something like this.....
" Listen, if you pay the $250 document fee with your deal, then come back in 10 days, I will hand you a 150$ referral check made out to you! That will offset your document fee down to 100$.". ""

So I did pay the required (comliant) doc fee of 250$, but he 'offet' my cash output by 150 (referral check) in order to pacify me as to only wanting to go no more than 99 for a doc fee as the 'other dealer' quoted...

So IT DID happen & I DID pay his 250 doc fee.. which was indeed compliant.. he just made me feel as though I only upped the total by 100 instead of 250 ( which is what I wanted to kep me from going across town) by moving money around into a different column...

alex said..."The point is, if you don't want to pay it, look for another dealer to do your transaction wtih, but don't expect them to negotiate on the sale price of the car.""

I agree. they cannot negotiat on the price of the car or their posted doc fee, BUT they can & WILL go in a different direction on other things.... there are many ways to get a dealer to come up or down creatively.. You just have to explore & ask...

Thanks for replying... jh
& good luck...
Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

o8xB, it's not cool to post up someone's PM to you. He sent it to you so that people wouldn't have to read it. This is a forum with a positive atmosphere. If you have an issue with something someone has sent you, take it up with them privatly, or let one of us super mods know.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your talking minimum of 16,000 for a car and your not gonna buy it over 100-200 wow...... i guess if your money is that tight then you should buy a used car...... the dealer has to make their money somewhere. they cant make it on the sticker price so they have to pay all of those employees somehow.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

in the state of IL it is illegal for us the negociate the doc fee. Everyone has to charge the same amount, at a cap of 58.48 for 07 and $150 for 2008
Old 12-30-2007, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doc fees are whatever a dealer wants to set. Once the fee is set, the dealer must charge all customers the same doc fee. The fee itself is not negotiable, though other parts of the deal may be, such as accessories and their installation.

I recently bought a car with doc fee of $99. A competing dealer used a doc fee of $250 because he said they wanted their title office to be a profit center.