Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

'08 xB body noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default '08 xB body noise

I have an '08 and half the time when i turn or go up or down a driveway or even a bump in the road the body "pops". I'm pretty sure it comes from the B pillar, its right beside/to the rear of my left ear...when it first started it surprised me but i have gotten used to it and it sucks! got 29,000 on the odo and it sounds like a toyota with 129,000 or even 229,000 on the clock. I know this has been discussed here before and wondering if there was any up dates as to the fix. One member here had to have the dealership itself reweld the problem and still made the noise...This is very odd and i honestly can't believe it.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny you bring this up.. I have a creeking right by A-pillar where the dash meets the windshield, and mine is getting worse by the day. It's really bad when it's really cold.. not too bad as it heats up (which it's 82 in san diego today..lol.).. My box has 15kmiles and it sounds like ish.. What i was wondering if since it's lowered will the dealer say anything about it, and try to weasel their way out of trying to fix it...??

ps hope i didn't hijack your post....
Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Mine rattles pretty bad too, I plan to sound deaden the entire vehicle in the spring when it begins to warm up again. That's pretty much your only "fix" or crank up the radio.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, unbelievable. I guess life is full of dissapointments and letdowns anf ____ Toyota for this ____! Pi$$e$ me OFF!!!!!!!If i wanted crap I coulda bought a GD Hyundai! Oh and i think the 1st gen was built alot tougher than this thing and ugh!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't mind them anymore, it would be nice if they were gone but it's a quiet ride 99% of the time.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:12 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

You're expecting way too much out of a $16,000 vehicle.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remove the door seal and black plastic b pillar cover (seat belt). Take a flat head screw driver and stick it in between the layers of metal and pry. Separate them a bit. This will correct your popping. It will be trial and error of course, but you will rid yourself of the noise. You will see what I'm talking about once you remove your door seal.
The sheets of metal of rubbing together whenever you have any frame flex. You would be surprised at how many xb2s have this issue. Practically all of them.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdmtoybb
wow, unbelievable. I guess life is full of dissapointments and letdowns anf ____ Toyota for this ____! Pi$$e$ me OFF!!!!!!!If i wanted crap I coulda bought a GD Hyundai! Oh and i think the 1st gen was built alot tougher than this thing and ugh!
Yeah the 1st gen was built WAY better than the 2nd gen. Mine has all kinds of body flex noise, I just crank up the music.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm. ok, i will try that, i mean its annoying as hell and yes i do expect alot out of a new car despite its price, especially when its a Toyota product and that $16,000 comes hard! lol Thanks to all for hearing me vent, just weird i think...
Old 11-28-2009, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I completely understand with you guys. It makes me feel that I bought a really cheap vehicle, but then again, I did buy a really cheap vehicle. lol

Take it to the dealer and bring it up. The infamous A and B pillar creaks are pretty common. They might have a fix for it, or you can heed the advise of mc1200s.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hell yeah pyro, you would think they had a fix for it...J-ville, thats cool, my girl lives down there, by orange park.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by AAG
You're expecting way too much out of a $16,000 vehicle.
That pretty much says it all.

I am thoroughly happy with my XB... especially for the price.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that A -pillar creak is covered under a TSB, and its under warranty till 36,000

I'm getting mine fixed monday, scary thing is... they take the car half apart to fix it!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus RexB
that A -pillar creak is covered under a TSB, and its under warranty till 36,000

I'm getting mine fixed monday, scary thing is... they take the car half apart to fix it!
Reason why I haven't had the A-pillar creak fixed under warranty (and probably won't get it done). I just crank the radio up and no more noise lol.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same problem with my 09. I get the A pillar creek noise. At first I thought it was the dash. Let us know what they did to fix it, Please! I have 7000 miles on mine but like you said I am sure they will try to get out of the warranty because it is lowered. I can't wait to hear what they have to do to fix it. I'll take mine in this week too. Thanks, I thought I was the only one facing this problem.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

J-ville, thats cool, my girl lives down there, by orange park.
Yeah, I probably dated her. j/k

I only hear the creaks when I'm traveling up or down a plane/incline/decline. So it really doesn't bother me too much.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chrislbz
I have the same problem with my 09. I get the A pillar creek noise. At first I thought it was the dash. Let us know what they did to fix it, Please! I have 7000 miles on mine but like you said I am sure they will try to get out of the warranty because it is lowered. I can't wait to hear what they have to do to fix it. I'll take mine in this week too. Thanks, I thought I was the only one facing this problem.
Oh, I have the ALLDATA step-by-step on how to fix it printed out and sitting in front of me! (working in a mechanics shop RULES!)

they literally take off the hood, bumper, fenders. rocker panels and all other sorts of things... Re-tap weld 4 spots and put it back together...

it looks ugly. but this creak bugs the ____ out of me, and its free...
Old 11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ha Pyro! well she does have a first gen and is in Scikotics...LOL. Anyhow see mine really seems like its coming from drivers B-pillar! The pop is in my left ear for sure, the hood and fenders, and 4 spots? Why dont they just weld it all up and stiffen the **** outta the chassis!? LMAO Ahh I woulda never thought! I have defended Japanese vehicles since i was like 5 and for a Toyota to do this is weird, how long does this "fix" take? Maybe i could get a prius for a week or two...be like when i took the xb in for an oilchange once "sir, ya know the car has a funny odor?" "yeah i just smoked it all" "okay, just makin sure..." LOL true story AAAAAAAAAAAnyway.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyhow see mine really seems like its coming from drivers B-pillar! The pop is in my left ear for sure
Here is the link to the thread about the B-pillar noise:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151911
Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So how long is it going to take for them to fix it! This is crazy since I posted yesterday now I am getting a pop noise from my drivers side B pillar in my left ear. I know we didn't buy a Lexus but come'on It shouldn"t be falling apart at 7000 miles! Maybe we could get something done by contacting Scion. From past post's I hear they are easy to deal with.

Quick Reply: '08 xB body noise