Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

'08 xB body noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus RexB
Oh, I have the ALLDATA step-by-step on how to fix it printed out and sitting in front of me! (working in a mechanics shop RULES!)

they literally take off the hood, bumper, fenders. rocker panels and all other sorts of things... Re-tap weld 4 spots and put it back together...

it looks ugly. but this creak bugs the ____ out of me, and its free...
I'm not sure if I misunderstood your statement above, but the original TSB from Toyota doesn't involve any welding for the fix.

If anybody wants a copy of the pdf file for the A-pillar TSB, just PM me with a real email addy and I'll send you the pdf as an attachment.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Cionide, I sent you a PM with good email. What is the TSB they are talking about? Thanks again
Old 12-01-2009, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
I'm not sure if I misunderstood your statement above, but the original TSB from Toyota doesn't involve any welding for the fix.

If anybody wants a copy of the pdf file for the A-pillar TSB, just PM me with a real email addy and I'll send you the pdf as an attachment.
LOL, you're right! I got my Alldata confused with another car (a ford explorer!) in our shop. (the ford actually didn't need anything. but it was still printed out.)

but yeah, i told chris the right way they do it... with a screwdriver, leverage and a Punch.... If you can get him that TSB, that'd be great. since I dont really have a way to send him a copy of mine!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Imagine having an xB in pieces, almost time to weld, only to look back at the sheet to see "Ford Explorer".
Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jnaval
Imagine having an xB in pieces, almost time to weld, only to look back at the sheet to see "Ford Explorer".
LMAO! yeah.... they don't let me touch THOSE tools! (JK!)

I dont know why we had that printout next to mine...it was for collision repair, and we dont have any explorers that need that!(we do everything humanly possible to not buy wrecks, including Carfax and visual inspections)

I realized the numbers on the corner of my paper said "7 of 8, 12 of 13, 8 of 8... and went... "wait...NO." and checked myself!

but by then, I'd already made an ___ of myself on the internet!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so there isnt a tsb or the tsb doesnt involve taking it apart...thats crazy chris, glad im not the only one but sorry for your msfortune
Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The A-pillar creak has a 12 page TSB that involves taking apart the front end, but no welding.

The B-pillar does not have a TSB, and only involves tightening some screws.

Chris, I just sent you the A-pillar TSB via your email.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The A-pillar creak has a 12 page TSB that involves taking apart the front end, but no welding.

Oh thats weird, My TSB only has 8 pages... what did Alldata leave out!

EDIT________________________________________________-_-
*FACEPALM* because I printed it that way... Oye...

Last edited by Tyrannosaurus RexB; 12-02-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what screws?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member

Would front strut and rear sway bar help this problem, or make it worse? Just curious.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdmtoybb
what screws?
It's actually nuts & bolts according to the link I posted on page 1 of this thread:
Originally Posted by CheapChic
I will say, that the dealership I deal with in Ann Arbor MI. is Dunning Scion.
They have the best people there. TOTTALY AWESOME .

I had the terrible clicking over the drivers side B-Pillar and over the rear door.

IT WAS DRIVING ME NUTS FOR WEEKS.

What it is:

There is a support beam that runs from the top of the drivers B-Pillar over the roof to the passenger's side B-Pillar. It has several nuts and bolt and this ties into the center of the side air bag curtain. The air bag curtain has 10mm bolt that also run from the front to the rear along the top and some in the center mechanism too.

ALL MY BOLTS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE WERE LOOSE. and I mean LOOSE After they were tighten, my car is very quite, I took a 100 mile trip today, not one click or anything.

loving my car again. OH IF YOUR DEALERSHIP SAYS IT A WELD, THERE MILKING SCION FOR WARRANY WORK, CAUSE IT AINT'

SOMEONE WAS SLEEPING ON THE DRIVERS SIDE LINE. I have an early build 09 to.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Urgh, Mark Miller still has my car. they've had it since monday. they quoted me a one day turn around... and here it is. wednesday night and I'm still without my car.

they've been really nice and professional about it! I just... WANT my car!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know if the A-pillar TSB applies to the 09?? I assume it doesn't seeing that the TSB is for 08, and you think they'd fix the problem for 09... I really hope this will solve my problem. It's so bad, I don't even enjoy driving anymore...
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@Darrenohooligan: I'm pretty sure it will apply to the 09 and 10 models. The only way to be sure is to keep driving it and then see if you start hearing those creaks, too.

Is there a TSB for the control arm? This is the second time mine is loose and I'm about ready to bring it up to the dealer to have them tighten it again for me/find out if it is a recurring problem.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
You're expecting way too much out of a $16,000 vehicle.

I totally agree, i have 63,800 miles on my 08. I bought the car at the end of august 07. It is a little over 2 years old now. I also have experienced this creek between the a-pillar and front window. Also one is coming from the rear hatch. The only time however i hear them is with the stereo completely off and backing out or driving in my driveway. For $16,425 i am very happy with my car. Descent gas millage, Huge amount of room and extremely comfortable front seats. Power windows, handles a hell of a lot better than most cars in its class. I could go on and on, my sister has a 07 toyota corolla s. Anytime i go with her somewhere the same thing happens. It comes from the trunk compartment area. It could be a number of things, suspension makes noise, brakes etc. especially whens its cold out. If you are conserned about that. You should have bought a lexus,mercedes benz, or bmw. Who are constantly advertising how quite there ride is.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by Darrenohooligan
Does anyone know if the A-pillar TSB applies to the 09?? I assume it doesn't seeing that the TSB is for 08, and you think they'd fix the problem for 09... I really hope this will solve my problem. It's so bad, I don't even enjoy driving anymore...

I just looked it up, there is no tsb on the 09 xb. Anybody attempting to do this its pretty much pointless. Unless you have access to some online repair manuals. Its a long page...best of luck.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@BFBOX: I dont think so, the rear hatch is a big door, and its creak is in no way obnoxious. well within "normal"... the windshield/A-pillar creak was obnoxious, and is now completely gone. for free.

also, my seatback finally unreclines!

my only complaints about my fridge now, is that the "premium" stereo is horrid at navigating my Ipod. and the brakes aren't as powerful as I'd like.

but those are both matters of opinion, not function.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So she's in the shop as of this morning. Went on the test drive with the tech. First thing he says is that the wheels and tires are most likely the reason (needless to say, i went off on him). just like I thought, anything to get out of doing warranty work... What the service guy said is that since there was a TSB for an a-pillar creaking, it has to be looked at, regardless if it was for the 08 or 09. Now, whether or not that's the problem remains to be seen.

As far as the arguement that it's a $16k car, you get what you pay for... Personally, i don't care if it was $4k. A new car shouldn't creek or pop. I know I didn't buy a Lexus, but I didn't buy a Yugo either.... I've been happy with it for the most part as well. I can complain about how uncomfortable it is, how the front seats suck, no arm rest, etc.. That's the kind of stuff I'm NOT going to complain about in a $16k car... but build quality, and comfort of seats are 2 different things...
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

See now. I drove a Wrangler before that. it felt like getting punched in the kidneys in those seats....

so these? THESE SEATS ARE HEAVEN! LOL!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So i got the call today... They "fixed" the dash creak... ready for this, they used foam and tape... AKA dynamat. What he was telling me is that the creaking was caused by plastic and metal rubbing together. Mad props to the stealership for not telling me "it is what is is" and doing something about it. I have to say, I am REALLY impressed. I get it back tomorrow morning, we'll see how well it worked....

Quick Reply: '08 xB body noise