Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

2008 xb - Hate the high clutch ... help..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 AM

Default 2008 xb - Hate the high clutch ... help..

I bought the 08 scion xb with a manual transmission last week and it drives great, except for the high clutch. It takes forever for the clutch to engage. I have to go through some 5 inches of play before I finally get to where the wheels get power. This is a pain especially in the lower gears when I want to shift quicker.

Is there a way for me to adjust the clutch so it gets to the friction point faster? I dont mind taking it to a mechanic to get it done but I need to know if adjusting the clutch friction point is recommended.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

is it like that on the 06 boxes too? i know my clutch is about maybe 3-4 inches away from friction zone. I feel very comfortable with it, Maybe you just have to get used to it.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: 2008 xb - Hate the high clutch ... help..

Originally Posted by sahni141
I bought the 08 scion xb with a manual transmission last week and it drives great, except for the high clutch. It takes forever for the clutch to engage. I have to go through some 5 inches of play before I finally get to where the wheels get power. This is a pain especially in the lower gears when I want to shift quicker.

Is there a way for me to adjust the clutch so it gets to the friction point faster? I dont mind taking it to a mechanic to get it done but I need to know if adjusting the clutch friction point is recommended.
There should be some way to adjust it. If not it will have to be re-engeneered (read modded) the SL way.
Is the clutch hydralic or cable operated?
Maybe changing the linkage somehow to make it engage sooner (closer to the floor). I'm sure someone will figure it out.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:27 PM
SL Member

Agreed, the xB2 clutch is VERY high. After a lifetime of owning & driving sticks (KarmannGhia,TriumphHerald, Fiat850, Saab99EMS, VWgti's), my '08 xB2 is embarrasingly difficult to get used to.

I've got over 500 miles, and I am still a tire-chirping neophyte when pulling away from uphill stops.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a way to adjust it. there is also another thread about this
Old 07-30-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whispaz
there is a way to adjust it. there is also another thread about this
A link would be most helpful.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...348&highlight=
Old 07-30-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just read that thread, didn't see anything about adjustment.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG - I just picked up my 5spd the other day. Test driving it was fun and easy. But after all the stop lights uphill, driving it home was Scary. I love the new XB and all, I just try to avoid hills as much as possible. btw this is my third stick. I've previously had a Pontiac Fiero and a Crx Si. So owning this XB really shouldn't be this difficult. Oh well, this'll improve my skills I guess. I guess I'm a lot better at riding my bike instead!
Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 AM
mab

Suspect it was misadjusted? The clutch on the 08 xB I test drove the other day engaged about 2" above the floor and I was told that's typical of Toyotas. Quite a bit different than my 92 F150, will take a bit of getting used to.

Ordered mine Saturday, boat due in Wednesday, hope to get xB in about three weeks.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Seanskee
I've previously had a Pontiac Fiero
Woot!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i previously had a nissan hardbody. it sucked.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, it doesnt say how to do it but one pointed out that it could be done :D
Old 07-31-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 2008 xb - Hate the high clutch ... help..

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Originally Posted by sahni141

There should be some way to adjust it. If not it will have to be re-engeneered (read modded) the SL way.
Is the clutch hydralic or cable operated?
Maybe changing the linkage somehow to make it engage sooner (closer to the floor). I'm sure someone will figure it out.
They haven't used cable clutches in the auto industry in years. Hydrolic clutches are also self adjusting so I don't know what that'll do about modding it.

From the sound of the problem u all are having maybe Scion did this so it would be easier to drive a stick with those damn DBW throttle bodies.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Even tho they are hydraulic, there is still linkage that can be modified and/or adjusted to make the engagement point where you want/need it to be. If anything just shorten the pushrod on the master so the pedal starts out closer to the floor. That would do wonders.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:37 PM

My last stick was a 95 cherokee. Its taking alot of adjusting to the position of everything.

So if I take it to the maintenance at the dealership they could adjust the clutch for me?

I've had to burn rubber on a few hills because people pull up right on my bumper talking on their cell phones and I have to gun out so I dont roll back.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just put your car into reverse. So the light shines in their damn face. lol. they'll be watching you saying "hey! what the F is he doing?!" LOL.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever the high clutch. That is weird.

I test drove it yesterday, definitely wasn't thinking when i was pulling out at a light on the hill. I'm sure i scared the poor guy behind me when i roll back a foot. And i definitely hit my foot on the clutch a couple times when trying to go from the floor to the clutch. I can't see why it wouldn't be adjustable, i just hope it's adjustable enough.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member

I test drove one last night and bought it last night. I've only stalled once and peeled out twice, so not too bad. It is a little high but I think I am getting used to it. I guess we will see what happens on a hill, though.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

There has to be a way to modify the upward stop so it will match the brake pedal. Maybe a pedal swap from tC or something else.

Quick Reply: 2008 xb - Hate the high clutch ... help..