Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

2008 xb - Hate the high clutch ... help..

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:47 PM
SL Member

I just got used to it. I don't think it's that bad anymore, and it's only been a week.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

go govt man! i didn't think the clutch was that high either. I got used to it during my test drive of it. It's a lot smoother now. It doesn't jerk around when you switch gears. No matter how rough you are with it. It has a good spaced out friction zone. Easy to engage. I loved it. I am definitely buying one this year. And i'm going to make my dealer very very rich. I'm getting $5000 worth of accessories. lol. But at least i will have a nice car, instead of a stock box. I was very poor when i bought my xb. Now, i'm rich, and now i can "upgrade". yeah!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then try driving a Euro car. same thing and it's hard to get used to. get rid of the car if you don't like it or get an auto.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I asked the dealership if they could adjust the height of the clutch and they said no. :-( They said it's all hydraulics. For some reason, I'm still not accustomed to the clutch. Frick. I've been driving stick cars for a long time now and this is the only car that's given me trouble. boo
Old 08-15-2007, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey Jeff!! I'll bring my xB2 by and you can see if you can figure out how to adjust it
Old 08-15-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm picking up my xB today. I'll take a glance. I just replaced the Clutch Master Cylinder on my Corolla, so i know what this SHOULD look like. If anything, I have a feeling it might just be cutting off a 1/4" piece of rod sticking out of the master cylinder that will be against the clutch pedal that should change the overall height of it.

Though, theory is one thing. Now I just gotta see how they actually did it.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

well for starters, if you cut off some of the rod, is the clutch going to dis-engage all the way? I would think not.
Anyway,
I pretty much got used to mine, although shifting fast from 1st to 2nd can still be hairy..
Old 08-15-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends.... at the same time you gotta have the pedal pushed in all the way AND have your head under there to see if the pedal is pushed in all the way, or just most of the way when it stops. if it's all the way, then yes, you're kinda screwed. if not, then cutting a little off shouldn't be an issue. this is a last resort, and more than likely i won't do that. last thing i wanna do it replace a part like that on a new car.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank god this car doens't have a sunroof or someone would complain about that too!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So funny, yet so true. Sadly, I looked for the sunroof in the xB after driving my wife's tC to the dealership to go pick up the car.

Anyway, here's what I promised to do. Look at the clutch. It IS adjustable... but at the same time you still need to verify BEFORE adjusting it, that when you push the pedal in, that there's still a little extra space.

What you're looking at in the picture below is the piston from the Master Cylinder that is connected to the clutch pedal.
What you would do is remove the pin that I have circled in White. Screw the nut circled in Black back as far as you can. Then the Black plastic part would get screwed back too (from what I remember from my Corolla's clutch work) Then put the pin back in through the black plastic part and the clutch pedal and bam, adjusted. Now, i don't know what this'll do, cause i haven't done it, I haven't had the car for 24hrs yet. At best it should buy you 1/2" adjustment, MAYBE 1", not sure. And again, after this, the clutch may or may not disengage when you press the pedal. Depends how this cylinder is set up.

The only other thing if you adjust that, there MAY be one other adjustment infront of the pedal to keep it from having a lot of extra play. It should be a bolt that you can screw out to push against the clutch pedal to keep it from coming ALL the way out.

G/L to whoever wants to try this.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

jeez, just get used to it already. So much work for just an inch! You guys got too used to the gen1 clutch.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 PM

I thought it was a pretty deep clutch, when I took my test drive. I was use to my Acura Integra clutch, which had very little play. Anyways, after owning my XB for alittle over a week, I have no problem finding the sweet spot now. I enjoy and am truely happy, I stuck with the 5 speed! Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superboxcarxb
jeez, just get used to it already. So much work for just an inch! You guys got too used to the gen1 clutch.
the ONLY problem I have with that statement is your list of mods, lol. considering this clutch work is quicker to do than anything on that list, and why not 'just get use to' the way the car is.

just playing man :D

i'm gonna give the clutch at least a month or so before i get fed up, and since i've had it for... 22hrs, i have some time
Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i'm not installing those mods myself. I'm getting those dealer installed. I'm going to buy the car on my birthday next month.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 PM
SL Member

It's really not that big of a deal for anyone with more strength in their legs then an 11 year old girl.

haha I'm just kidding..

no I'm not.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL. this is one of the easiest clutches i've had to push in. my Corolla's was about 3x this one.