SL Member

I get 25 highway

closer to 21 city.

18" wheels kill mpg, quickly.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kind of funny since I just got the same mileage this past weekend... Filled up, put in my dose of MMO, and drove to youngstown.

Seventy miles later, my average was exactly 37.1MPG (pictured is only at 65miles). Did some city driving and returned back to Cleveland today, including some more traffic yet again going to school. Now at 160 miles, average is 34.6MPG according to the computer. Just under 3/4 a tank used.

Oh, and this is with AT... No wind on my freeway travels, so no tail/head wind. This was on the turnpike, average speed was approx 68mph there/back. Turnpike is fairly hilly. ODO at 35,300 miles.

Here is my pic of the same thing... Kind of creepy how similar... But when I took this, I was driving in curvy city roads, so posted 50mph speed limit...

Name:  1-4.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  28.8 KB
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Sometimes I wish I had got an auto over the manual. Wanna join the 37.1 mpg krew? lulz
Old 11-24-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think a 37.1 krew would be dope.

Not many people reach that level!

This will probably end up being my best tank to date... Now if only I did not have to mess it up with city traffic

I bet I still finish 33+ though... (manual calculation)... Displayed will probably be 34-35 when done with the tank.

And I know many people want a 5th gear auto, but am I the only one that just loves how the AT is geared, as-is? I mean, it has tons of pep, it doesn't search through gears it doesn't need, and is quick to do what it needs to. I have driven quite a few cars with 5 and 6 speed autos that just feel sloppy because there are too many gears for the power the car has. I don't know, I really dig our 4-speed's myself...
Old 11-24-2009, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Slody4Futbol
confused.. are you saying manual trannys get worse mpg than autos?

no. on the average a car with a manual trans will get better MPG than the same car with a auto.. coasting = better AVERAGE mpg... cause the little digital readout for "Instant MPG" goes to 99mpg when coasting, therefore increasing the AVERAGE MPG. So, when I see an average MPG at 37 with a manual trans I gotta call BS..

I went to Scion United back in 08 and through the desert I was getting an average of 30. and yes, I do have a manual, but it was in the desert.. not many hills.. just set the cruise to 70 and left it alone..
Old 11-24-2009, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Invertalon
Here is my pic of the same thing... Kind of creepy how similar... But when I took this, I was driving in curvy city roads, so posted 50mph speed limit...

HAHA incriminating Photo... someone call the fuzz.. he was speeding.. J/k

and I still don't believe the MPGs.. I'm not trying to be a hater, I just can't believe it...
Old 11-24-2009, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And I know many people want a 5th gear auto, but am I the only one that just loves how the AT is geared, as-is? I mean, it has tons of pep, it doesn't search through gears it doesn't need, and is quick to do what it needs to. I have driven quite a few cars with 5 and 6 speed autos that just feel sloppy because there are too many gears for the power the car has. I don't know, I really dig our 4-speed's myself...
Personally, I agree, so NO, YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE!

I'm also happy that it gets 30% better gas mileage than my last car (a Cadillac SLS), while handling & driving better, as well as costing half as much to insure.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Invertalon, How do you get you mpg so high. The best I have got was 24 and thats with a lot of highway and coasting. That only happened to me and never again. I normally get 22.70 mgp to be exact. I drive 50/50 local and highway and I have a heavy foot. Lowest I got was 21.30 mpg with 70 local and 30 highway with a heavy foot on the peddle.

I would would be o happy if I would just get 30 mpg. How you do it???
Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I usually average 28mpg with mixed driving... When I do all freeway it usually is 28-31 depending on driving habits.

I never got bad MPG with mine, even with crazy driving, 73-74mpg speeds, etc... I guess the main thing is, use cruise control whenever possible, coast to lights and try to anticipate traffic. It helps alot.

Other factors for me include a bump in tire pressure, to 40PSI on all tires... (Tire is rated up to 44psi, so it's safe!). I run 0W20 Oil, have a AEM CAI installed, and run MMO in my gas tank. MMO really helps if you run gas with ethanol, as it adds lubrication back in the gasoline. Awesome stuff!

But I thought when I took that picture at 37.1 MPG that it was a fluke, like if I had a crazy tailwind or something. But I did not, as it was a calm day. On my return trip 3 days later I got the same milage. Now it is going down (down to 33.4 now) due to city driving I have to do for my job and school, but it still staying high. At 65mph cruise on freeway it is usually at 36-45mpg on the instantaneous display.

Either way, I love the mileage I get. You just can't beat it!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KenRC51
Invertalon, How do you get you mpg so high. The best I have got was 24 and thats with a lot of highway and coasting. That only happened to me and never again. I normally get 22.70 mgp to be exact. I drive 50/50 local and highway and I have a heavy foot. Lowest I got was 21.30 mpg with 70 local and 30 highway with a heavy foot on the peddle.

I drive about 70 city and 30 highway nowadays and I average around 27mpg. The trick is to make your foot weigh less when driving. What really helps me is making the display show your current mpg while you drive. It puts it in perspective the next time you plan on having road rage, because you see those numbers dwindle to 8.0 mpg and so forth. Really makes me drive more efficiently.

But here's the deal - coast a little bit more. When there's no traffic/little traffic and you're nearing a red light, try not to stop (running the red lights actually help - j/k). Gradually slow down to the light and then release once it's green and slowly accelerate.

Make sure you have a good feel for your car upon acceleration, that way you don't jump the car and eat up rpm's.

And as a last tip for you, here's what I do most of the time on highways: anything under 30.0mpg is a waste. Slow it down until you are above that magic number. 66mph will get you around 32mpg. And if you think you're going too slow, think about it like this - not only are you being safer on the road, but you are saving gas money and reducing your chances of getting a ticket. It's a win-win situation for you.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I filled up mine with premium last night and put 40psi in the tires. I have about 500 miles round trip for thanksgiving. I am going to try to get the best MPG I can and report back. It will be mostly flat terrain.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just drove about 200 miles and was only able to squeek out 31mpg. I had to keep it around 70mph. This is Texas and if I went any slower I'd be ran over by every other pickup truck screaming down the highway.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, and resetting the avg. mpg actually helps before trying your own hypermiaelaging, wow slaughtered that spelling lol, well say HM...ive given it a go since reading this post, i think im up to 27, so alot to go and thats a lot of city driving
Old 11-26-2009, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Calculate your ACTUAL gas mileage when you get a full tank of gas, then let us know what mileage you're getting. ;)
Old 11-26-2009, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah... I can get low 30's without trying!

my trick? 89 octane, Royal Purple 0w-20, and proper tire inflation...

I kid you not!

no, I dont own a camera
Old 11-26-2009, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Other factors for me include a bump in tire pressure, to 40PSI on all tires... (Tire is rated up to 44psi, so it's safe!).
Originally Posted by longboardluv
I filled up mine with premium last night and put 40psi in the tires.
40 psi is "safe" in terms of the tire manufacturer's rating against over-inflation tire failure; however, the downside is accelerated rate of tire wear and reduced road grip -- which hurts braking distance and ability to manouver in dangerous situations.

Last edited by TrevorS; 11-26-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default how about long division math

I find it hard to believe. I just got my new xB, an 09, last one in the whole SE. I picked it up and drove it 800 miles south from Birmingham AL to Naples FL. I varied my speeds from 55-70 mph the whole way on the interstate. I have a 5 speed manual. My mpg was in the 26.7 to 28.3 range per tankful. That's actual miles driven divided by the number of gallons of gas used. Hopefully it will improve after the break in period.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KenRC51

Don't feel bad, I do 75/25 hwy/cty and the best tank i ever had was 26.8. I usually average 25.... we have so many hills, it just kills my mpg.. but again, i didn't buy the xb for it's killer gas mileage.. if I wanted that I would've got a FIT... (which apprently stands for F*** It's Terrible according to my friend)

This is my last tank of gas before my most recent:
Name:  DSC02762.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  72.1 KB

Last edited by Darrenohooligan; 12-05-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah, maybe on a 5% downgrade the whole tank full!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My 2009 Automatic with around 12,300 miles gets 19.1 MPG, but I guess my speeding ticket I got a couple of weeks ago for doing 90 in a 65 probably attests to the reason. LOL

Plus I have the TRD Cold Air Intake and a lead foot lol!

Quick Reply: 37.1 mpg avg with the xB2..