Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

5% window tint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5% window tint?

Just wanted to ask you guys if you can see very well out your back window with 5% black window tint on your 2nd gen?

I had 5% on my XD but it was smaller :?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. You can't. In the daylight it's fine, because there is abundant light. With 100% light (a sunny day), the back window lets in 5%... when it's night, in a decent size city + moon, you're looking at ~20% light, 5% of that is 1%. Not very much light. If you have to back up, roll down your side windows and use your side mirrors... the XB was blessed with an amazing view of the sides using mirrors. I am an excellent driver, but to be honest, I have an issue backing up out of my driveway at night without putting my window's down as my neighborhood is purposely dark. We don't allow street-lights.

On the other hand, driving on the main roads is fine due to ambient light. I don't regret having 5% tint, but don't expect to see the type of car that's directly behind you at night without using your side mirrors.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RJSCION
No. You can't. In the daylight it's fine, because there is abundant light. With 100% light (a sunny day), the back window lets in 5%... when it's night, in a decent size city + moon, you're looking at ~20% light, 5% of that is 1%. Not very much light. If you have to back up, roll down your side windows and use your side mirrors... the XB was blessed with an amazing view of the sides using mirrors. I am an excellent driver, but to be honest, I have an issue backing up out of my driveway at night without putting my window's down as my neighborhood is purposely dark. We don't allow street-lights.

On the other hand, driving on the main roads is fine due to ambient light. I don't regret having 5% tint, but don't expect to see the type of car that's directly behind you at night without using your side mirrors.

Hmm but when your reverse lights are on you still cant see out? I am more worried about backing up in my garage at night where as I can park my car into my living room
Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vedlinyrim
Hmm but when your reverse lights are on you still cant see out? I am more worried about backing up in my garage at night where as I can park my car into my living room
My reverse light works OK since switching to Halogen (thanks to Fred). But no question, outside mirrors help a lot when backing.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here. I think this will help. One is inside my car, one is in the same position on the outside. You can see my spoiler. That is a bright light. This should give you a good comparison and I hope it answers what you're looking for. The other one is my dinner. It was amazing..

EDIT: That light is 20 ft away. Not far. Oh, and in reference to the above poster, I can't comment on LED reverse lights.. I have a 2011, so I have two reverse lights which will probably equal to your one LED light. Oh... haha.. when I took the picture from inside, my reverse lights were on.
Attached Thumbnails 5% window tint?-photo-1.jpg   5% window tint?-photo-2.jpg   5% window tint?-photo-3.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can barely see out the back at night with the stock tint lol. I just tinted the fronts to match.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^same here. You should also be carefull at stop signs there are times when the street is dark and I need to make a left on a stop sign and I can't see if a person is trying to cross the street, and I only have 30% on the front windows, imagine 5%. Well that might be just me thou..lol
Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 AM
tC5
5 Year Member

i have 5% and i love it. espically at night
Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here. I think this will help. One is inside my car, one is in the same position on the outside. You can see my spoiler. That is a bright light. This should give you a good comparison and I hope it answers what you're looking for. The other one is my dinner. It was amazing..

EDIT: That light is 20 ft away. Not far. Oh, and in reference to the above poster, I can't comment on LED reverse lights.. I have a 2011, so I have two reverse lights which will probably equal to your one LED light. Oh... haha.. when I took the picture from inside, my reverse lights were on.
Wow amazing dinner now if you would have put 5% film in front of the camera when you took the picture I wouldn't be so jealous.:?

I was thinking of going 5% back and rears then (Legal) front sides with 4" 5% on the front window top (which would be Legal in Hawaii).

Note: I have a 2012 XB so I got X2 LED reverse lights *I am still scared of putting my bumper threw a wall though*
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC5
i have 5% and i love it. espically at night
Best response yet. Very constructive.

To the OP, I have 8% middle and 15% front. But I have ZERO tint on the front windshield. You'll be just fine.. I enjoy the darker tint. It is very, very nice to have in Florida (I assume the same in Hawaii). But, sometimes it strains my eyes to see out the back window, and middle windows... Have to sacrifice a little to have something that increases the look of your car so dramatically while keeping it cool on hot days.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vedlinyrim
Wow amazing dinner now if you would have put 5% film in front of the camera when you took the picture I wouldn't be so jealous.:?

I was thinking of going 5% back and rears then (Legal) front sides with 4" 5% on the front window top (which would be Legal in Hawaii).

Note: I have a 2012 XB so I got X2 LED reverse lights *I am still scared of putting my bumper threw a wall though*

I would HIGHLY recommend keeping front sides and mid sides VERY close. You will regret being 5% and 25% or whatever legal is in Hawaii. If you're doing 5% (which is probably not legal), then you should try to be 10-15 in mid and front sides... Like me, I darkened the mid sides slightly more than front sides.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran 5% up front and 15% rears as they were pre tinted from the factory....The match is perfect and look like 5% all around. I'm very happy with it~!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

i got double 5% on the rear window and i can still se ok at night with no reverse lights
Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got 5% on the back 3 windows and 15% on the 2 front doors, PLUS the strip on the windshield. Cant see **** at night. I might re-do them all a bit lighter and do the windshield too. My eyes are so dam sensitive.

Makes me wish my glasses would "transition" at night
Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jetas
I got 5% on the back 3 windows and 15% on the 2 front doors, PLUS the strip on the windshield. Cant see **** at night. I might re-do them all a bit lighter and do the windshield too. My eyes are so dam sensitive.

Makes me wish my glasses would "transition" at night

Hmm now I might go higher then 5% lol

Maybe 15% all around, 35% on fronts and 15% four inch strip on the front
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone got pics you can post with 15% tinted ?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, so as the poster before you, I'm confused! I'm running a rear Halogen H8, not LED, so please don't confuse me with someone who wants to look cool, as opposed to someone who wants to see behind them when backing up !
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5% rears at night will be virtually black even with a halogen reverse light. You'll have to rely on your outside mirrors to back up. The biggest beef I have with my single reverse is coverage: it's not as wide or as even as traditional reverse lights. Scion did a form over function on that one.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
OK, so as the poster before you, I'm confused! I'm running a rear Halogen H8, not LED, so please don't confuse me with someone who wants to look cool, as opposed to someone who wants to see behind them when backing up !
x2, I also ran the H8 reverse light mod on my 2008 xB. After trying a "high output" LED bulb in my reverse light, I learned the hard way (meaning it cost me $$ and was useless) that LED bulbs look bright when starring at them but provide absolutely no benefit when it comes to visible lumen output for seeing better when driving in reverse ("backing up" for the illiterate).
Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
x2, I also ran the H8 reverse light mod on my 2008 xB. After trying a "high output" LED bulb in my reverse light, I learned the hard way (meaning it cost me $$ and was useless) that LED bulbs look bright when starring at them but provide absolutely no benefit when it comes to visible lumen output for seeing better when driving in reverse ("backing up" for the illiterate).

Ya the 08-10 rear position of the reverse lights were not thought up very well, it seems like a cool idea until you need to back into a tight spot in a very dark place. the 11-12s went back to the standered "in tail light" system which has worked for generations.

Quick Reply: 5% window tint?