Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

About to drink the Scion Kool-Aid

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:27 AM

Default About to drink the Scion Kool-Aid

How does it taste?

I'm in the market for a new car. Have a 64 mile round trip commute every day. Need something with better economy than my Jeep, but also something that offers some utility. The more I look at it, the more I like the xB. Good MPG, roomy, nicely equipped.....it appears to be a damn fine auto for such a small price. Being a Toyota brand, I have the utmost confidence in its reliability.

I know this site is populated by Scion fan bois, but honestly, what are the cons to the vehicles? I will be driving 400-500 miles per week, mostly interstate. Comfort, ride quality....how are they in real world situations? I just have a 20 mile test drive under my belt.

What are some aftermarket upgrades that would further enhance the economy?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I only have one con:
Cheap interior plastics, scuff and scratch really easily. Just be careful though and youll be fine, haha.

Other then that, I have none man. I average 29MPG (better then the 22-28 estimate) bone stock, my best tank at 33mpg (all freeway, but still!). Its a steal for the price and its very fun to drive around. You will love it.

Comfort is great IMO, I have driven it 300+miles straight without anything more then the normal craving to walk around from driving so long, but no real issues with comfort.

Road noise is pretty hushed. I find it very quiet IMO. Not luxury quiet of course, but very good.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:40 AM
SL Member

I drive about the same as you do every day and I have no complaints with the car at all. At least none that are the car's fault. I'm coming into my xB from a Yaris, so my mpg went down a bit, but that's just because of the choice I made. I absolutely love my xB. Not helpful, I know, but the xB is great.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a first gen and dont look back the 2nd gen doesnt get that great of mpg first gen is an all around better commuter car than the 2nd gen imho
Old 04-30-2008, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Invertalon
Cheap interior plastics, scuff and scratch really easily. Just be careful though and youll be fine, haha.
That's any car these days except for high-end models. Is this the worst you guys can come up with? Come one, there has to be someone with a problem that makes him miserable? A recurring creak, a button that doesn't work, a dash light that always comes on, "death wobble" like in a Jeep.....

Just waiting to sell my Jeep, and for the dealer to get a black one and I think I will take the sip.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nastos
get a first gen and dont look back the 2nd gen doesnt get that great of mpg first gen is an all around better commuter car than the 2nd gen imho
I know xB1 is better MPG.....but I want the softer edges and longer wheelbase and interior room. I also want a full warranty.

I've seen a lot of xB1 vs xB2 hate. I think it's length envy.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah i love the xb2's im just saying the xb1 is better on gas

and why couldnt you get a full warranty on an xb1?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:07 AM
SL Member

Default scion

Do you know the white line that tells you to stop at a light???? It's better to stop about 6 feet before the line..............So you can see the light +MPG..
Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StompinStu
Size does matter. Additionally the Gen2 has side & side curtain airbags, 4-wheel disc brakes, Traction Control, Projector beam halogen headlamps, etc., etc.

My only complaint would be the bumpiness of the stock springs. For a daily driver that I put 500 miles/week on, I consider the Tanabe NF210's the single most significant change I made (and that you can make) for greatly improved comfort and handling.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:10 AM

nah i love the xb2's im just saying the xb1 is better on gas

and why couldnt you get a full warranty on an xb1?
Tell me how I can get 5 yr/60K factory powertrain warranty on a used car, that has let's say 30,000 miles? Without shelling out additional funds for an aftermarket warranty.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:11 AM

Have a 64 mile round trip commute every day.
Ditto here. My only gripe is the driving range. My Camry would get up to 475 if I drove it real carefully, but 425 was about average. The xB is between 300 and 350, but it's still breaking in.

My other vehicle is a Suburban, and even at 17 MPG, I get 6-700 miles per tank. But a $130 tag to fill from empty kinda sucks.[/quote]
Old 04-30-2008, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: About to drink the Scion Kool-Aid

What are some aftermarket upgrades that would further enhance the economy?
Have wheels and springs picked out before you even purchase an xB2. The car looks kinda dorky on its stock rollers in my opinion.

After that it just depends on how much money you want to spend and what you want to use the car for. No use putting intake, headers, full exhaust if you don't care about slight increase in power.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Size does matter. Additionally the Gen2 has side & side curtain airbags, 4-wheel disc brakes, Traction Control, Projector beam halogen headlamps, etc., etc.

My only complaint would be the bumpiness of the stock springs. For a daily driver that I put 500 miles/week on, I consider the Tanabe NF210's the single most significant change I made (and that you can make) for greatly improved comfort and handling.
How easy are these vehicles to work on? I have always enjoyed doing my own mods. In a Jeep, it's easy. Plenty of room to work on anything. These are so tightly built, that it must be a pain to turn a wrench on them.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE

How easy are these vehicles to work on? I have always enjoyed doing my own mods. In a Jeep, it's easy. Plenty of room to work on anything. These are so tightly built, that it must be a pain to turn a wrench on them.

It's cake to work on, hell the only nut that gave me trouble was one on the exhaust manifold when I was installing my header. The interior is pretty much made outta legos.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i bought my xb1 with 10 k miles on it for 11.5 k with a 60k mile warranty buddy.. then i went right ahead and bought the extended warranty too
Old 04-30-2008, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had em both -- either are good choices - I have zero complaints - you name it you can do it to the car, everyone will have different suggestions based on different preferences which is what makes the XB what it is. You can rock em or just roll em either way -- you can't go wrong.
(I'd give it a better sound system out of the box if you will)
Old 04-30-2008, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're already used to working on cars, you will be able to handle most mods... intake, header, exhaust, HID headlights, tail lights, springs, stereo equipment. What are you thinking about that you might run into difficulty with? This is a huge support network; if we can't help you, we can probably recommend somebody that can.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yeah and gap insurance
Old 04-30-2008, 04:27 AM

well i bought my xb1 with 10 k miles on it for 11.5 k with a 60k mile warranty buddy.. then i went right ahead and bought the extended warranty too
I'm not wanting to shell out extra dough for an extended....that's the differnce padnuh.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:28 AM

oh yeah and gap insurance
20% down brutha, no need for GAP

Quick Reply: About to drink the Scion Kool-Aid