Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

About to drink the Scion Kool-Aid

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so youd rather shell out for the extra money it costs for the xb2 and the gas too?? thats respectable... either way xb1 or xb2 scion is the way to go... great resale value.... scions all around great buy i say go for it
Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
If you're already used to working on cars, you will be able to handle most mods... intake, header, exhaust, HID headlights, tail lights, springs, stereo equipment. What are you thinking about that you might run into difficulty with? This is a huge support network; if we can't help you, we can probably recommend somebody that can.
I could see doing some work under the hood to increase the economy. Can't list specifics yet, cause I'm not yet in the car. Just looks to be much tighter clearances than I am used to dealing with. Open the hood of a Wrangler, then open an xB. I can fit my whole tool chest under the Jeep's hood.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to have an xb1 and a coworker has an xb2. Setting aside my feelings towards the xb2 (hate) i say go for an xb1.

sure its smaller, but you are getting better mpg and i believe based on what ive seen with the xb2, more usable room. I could be wrong, but ive seen more fit in the xb1 than the xb2 thus far.

Also, you can get a full warrenty just as brand new, slightly cheaper and overall i think fits your needs better.

If you really need that much room (xb2 isnt that much longer) buy a hybrid suv. Get around the same mpg as a xb2 with more room.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not much you can do to increase the economy maybe a fe wmods to bump up the hp and torque a bit but your not gonna see much change in mpg

speaking of wranglers lol im not usually one for street racing but one i think it was like a 97 wrangler with loud exhausts was revving up his engine at me at the light the other day. so i obliged not thinking i had a chance against it i waxxed him off the line and he didnt catch up till the next light
Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nastos
so youd rather shell out for the extra money it costs for the xb2 and the gas too?? thats respectable... either way xb1 or xb2 scion is the way to go... great resale value.... scions all around great buy i say go for it
I want "new". As in I am the first to plop his big fat a$$ in the seat. I want to know I am the first to do anything in, to, or on the car. I want the smell, and not from a cheaply immitated fragrance.

I will save my money on GAP insurance and extended warranties on my new car, and that will be the difference in what you are saving on fuel. Sounds even to me, and I get what I want.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by killerxromances
If you really need that much room (xb2 isnt that much longer) buy a hybrid suv. Get around the same mpg as a xb2 with more room.
I have been looking hard, and have not seen a hybrid SUV as well equipped at anywhere near this price. Ford Escapes are pricey for what you get, and well, they are Ford's.....I'll take the Toyota please.

I think the bang for the buck factor is huge with the xB.....even if it is a lowly 2nd gen.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but gap insurance is great to have on a new or used car and really its not that much more considering the perks you get with it gap insurance ftw
Old 04-30-2008, 04:43 AM

not much you can do to increase the economy maybe a fe wmods to bump up the hp and torque a bit but your not gonna see much change in mpg

speaking of wranglers lol im not usually one for street racing but one i think it was like a 97 wrangler with loud exhausts was revving up his engine at me at the light the other day. so i obliged not thinking i had a chance against it i waxxed him off the line and he didnt catch up till the next light
Wranglers are geared for off-road. I run 3.73 gears, 31" tires, and locked differentials. There is no way I could beat anything other than a super crew dually pick-up truck.

Speaking of, what are the gear ratios on xBs? Gotta be low (numerically)
Old 04-30-2008, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StompinStu
Originally Posted by killerxromances
I have been looking hard, and have not seen a hybrid SUV as well equipped at anywhere near this price. Ford Escapes are pricey for what you get, and well, they are Ford's.....I'll take the Toyota please.

I think the bang for the buck factor is huge with the xB.....even if it is a lowly 2nd gen.
yeah, you would pay more but i dont see a point (personally) in buying a bigger car than what you need. if theres more usable room in an xb1, why not. of course i do understand the used factor. i hate used cars so i see where your coming from.

and if the xb1 would be too small, chances are the xb2 will too since its not too much bigger and the way its designed, i dont think you could really fit any "more" into it. i havent seen evidence of it anyway.

as for comfort, honestly you arent going to get a really comfortable car for under 20k, plain and simple. cars under 20k are designed for one thing, point a to point b. either that or cheap thrills such as the miata.

if i were you id dish out more money to get comfort vs. settling just because its cheaper. because if you dont like it and re-sell, you have nothing to really show for it. in other words, id pay more now to get exactly what i want vs. saving some cash now just to throw it away later.

why get instant coffee from a gas station when you can go to starbucks? lol

sorry for the ramble. its 1am.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but gap insurance is great to have on a new or used car and really its not that much more considering the perks you get with it gap insurance ftw
GAP insurance (Guaranteed Asset Protection) covers the difference between the value that your primary auto insurance reimburses you (usually involving a totaled vehicle), and what you owe the bank on your loan. If the primary reimbursement value exceeds the outstanding balance on your loan, then you get nothing from the GAP insurance. GAP is of primary importance for those that purchase with little or nothing down, or purchase vehicles that depreciate very quickly. Scions retain their value quite well, so if you put 20% down GAP is a waste of money unless you finance for 7-8 years or at an extremely high interest rate.

Enough said... DRINK THE KOOL-AID!
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i only put down a g and got the lowest poss payment gap is very important in my case
lets say i total the b tomorrow and i owe about 10 on it and the insurance company says it was only worth 8 i dont really feel like eating the 2 g's so my 200 dollar investmant on the gap is well worth it especially since insurance companies are becoming exceedingly more and more stingy these days with the econ in the shape that its in
Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gez, its a huge ____ing contest.

Drink the kool-aid. you won't regret it.

I myself have mashed it in a xB1 as well as my xB2.

The xB2 excels in every way except for the "cuteness" factor.

Sure, the xB1 is a classic, but the xB2 takes over where it left off, it's no longer a Toyota Echo, it's now a Camry the shape of a box with bigger ***** and more potential.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more potential? potential for what? bigger ***** dont count for much more when you weigh near 900 more lbs
Old 04-30-2008, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more potential? potential for what? bigger ***** dont count for much more when you weigh near 900 more lbs
It's only 600 lbs more.

BTW, I agree, GAP makes sense for you; I just meant that it's not always worth it depending on your purchasing situation.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm i thought it weighed more from what i heard i know the tc weighs more than 600 lbs than xb1 i figured the xb2 had to weigh more than a tc my mistake
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xB1 = 2425#
tC = 2905#
xB2 = 3020#

All manual trans weights; and yes, I have too much time on my hands.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good info tho good to know
Old 04-30-2008, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Big deal. Even if it weighs more, it's more of a car. Not to bash on you or anything.

I can do more with a Camry motor than with the Echo engine.

xB2 is a great car.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone who has had BOTH XB1 and 2 ever made a realistic arguement for the XB1 over the 2? I can't. I still find the body style of the XB1 more unique but come on other than that there is no comparison, unless recalcitrant is the operative word.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanted a used xB1 (I hate new car depreciation), but they depreciate so damned slowly I couldn't justify the price. I bought a new xB2 because the price difference was so small.

Cons:

Pros:

Quick Reply: About to drink the Scion Kool-Aid