Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

About to drink the Scion Kool-Aid

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
The xB2 excels in every way except for the "cuteness" factor.
I differ on the cuteness factor but agree to this, go XB2. For the kind of driving this poster will do the MPG diff is minimal. Many new gen XB owners are boasting higher than sticker MPGs. I am getting 28.5 with mixed city/highway driving.
Now isn't this just too cute?

And I don't even have my NF210's that I ordered on yet!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Big deal. Even if it weighs more, it's more of a car. Not to bash on you or anything.

I can do more with a Camry motor than with the Echo engine.

xB2 is a great car.
what do u mean do more? i believe can do all the same things in my 1.5 as you in a 2.4? do you mean go faster? bc as a daily driver the xb1 is more economical and if i wanted a camry i would get a camry? also its not just a camry engine it is also more closeley related as a tc engine.. so how is it more of a car??? your saying like anything i can do you can do beter? lol, im not trying to start anything i just dont understand what you mean you can do more?

oh btw for anyone who is interested i found out you can put the stock xb1 springgs on the xb2 for a drop just bc it weighs so much more it will drop like an inch to an inch and a half... just thought that was interesting
Old 05-01-2008, 04:29 AM

Drove a manual transmission today....I was really impressed with it. Really quick little car. I'm afraid the gains I am seeking in MPG's would go out the tailpipe as I redlined the little engine between shifts.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danos_XBox
The xB2 excels in every way except for the "cuteness" factor.
I differ on the cuteness factor but agree to this, go XB2. For the kind of driving this poster will do the MPG diff is minimal. Many new gen XB owners are boasting higher than sticker MPGs. I am getting 28.5 with mixed city/highway driving.
Now isn't this just too cute?

And I don't even have my NF210's that I ordered on yet!
I beg to differ.

my whip

compared to her whip

I'd say mine looks more like a tuner, not really cute.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm as much as this argument pops up every two weeks or so.

yes the 1st gen gets 5 miles per gallon difference highway then the 2nd gen

so lets see what the 1st gen has a 11.9 gallon tank. 2nd gen has a 14 gallon tank

1st gen
lets say you average 33 MPG at 11.9 gallons mileage to completely drain tank would be 392.7. at 4 dollars a gallon 47.60 dollars just in gas with no gas tax or local taxes

2nd gen
let say you get 28 miles to the gallon with a 14 gallon tank . you mileage would be 392. at 4 dollars a gallon 56 dollars just in gas with no gas tax or local taxes

umm not much of a difference to me still the same miles to drain the tank. less then 10 dollars difference between the two per fill up

total gas if you fill up once a week 1st gen 2475.2 and 2nd gen 2912 difference of 436.80 dollars per 52 weeks.

kelly blue book info

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....Selection=true

N/A

wow 1st gen'r make it seem like our XB's are 454 big block vs a a v6 small block. lets get real about this. 1st gen are not that much better then our XB's.

majority of the 1st gen people posting here are missing what he is trying to get at. he wants a full warrenty and no have to pay for the extra he also wants a new car. not a used car. that is why i faced when i bought mine. i wanted something no one else but me owned it prior. i could have bought a 1st gen release 2 from a dealer in San diego if i wanted used. heck i can buy a release 4 here now for 18k. but the fact is i don't know who drove it and how they drove it. this is the same reason i will never buy a used TC. why i don't know if some kid got it and shifted it at 8k ever gear of every day he owned it.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Go with the 2gen for the "newness". Also, I would advise you keep the engine stock until warranty is up. I had a TDR intake, had engine failure, and Toyota refused to cover it. Found out during arbitration I had to prove it was a manufacturer defect, even though I thought the law was written where the manufacturer had to prove it was the aftermarket part. Bottom line, my shiny chrome tube was not worth the headache it caused, though it was never directly proven to be the source of failure.

The RS 5.0 looks good in person, though the paint does not photograph well. I would suggest lowering springs and a nice set of rims, they make a HUGE difference in appearance and handling.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cons.. Unuseable arm rest... Blind spots..

Pros... look at the invoice sticker and see all of the standard features you get for under 18k. Plus its really fun to drive. I drive around the city for my job so I needed a car that was good on MPG, comfortable, and fun to drive = xb2

I shopped for months before buying the xb2 and its the best / smartest purchase I have ever made... My dad finally test drove my xb and he wants me to go with him to see about trading in his tacoma for an xb.

I would have bought an xb1 a few years back but the 1.5 wasnt enough for me. Even drove it twice just to make sure.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The xB2 comes with an armrest? At least they listened to some of the xB1 complaints, that was the thing that I really couldn't understand on the 1gen, that and the no cabin air filter.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One more plug on MaxBoost925 Cheap cinematic effects do make yours look like a tuner But I never want to see those pink wheels again.

Sorry for the interuption. Carry on!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One more plug on MaxBoost925 Cheap cinematic effects do make yours look like a tuner But I never want to see those pink wheels again.

Sorry for the interuption. Carry on!
hahah cheap cinematic effects. nice.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahah cheap cinematic effects. nice.
Yes you have a nice ride There, I said it! Now StompinStu needs to get his own tuner, or just cool car. Either way it 's a win win situation.

P.S. My lowering springs arrive tomorrow!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when you compare a guys modded xb to an extreme girls xb, obviously you can make your point because its tuned for her vision, its going to be girlie in comparison.

if she had similar mods on the gen2, its going to look just as girlie vs. your mods on a gen1. so lame arguement.

imo the xb2 looks more like a small suv, in return even tuned still looks awkward and not right.

the xb1 looks more like a small wagon or 4 door hatch with extreme curves.

to those who say you can do more with a camry engine, not true. yes you can make more power, but any mod you can do to a 2az you can do to a 1nz.

the 2az is not a gift, its a large 4cyl thats underpowered in comparison to most other 4cyl, no big deal. the way people talk on here, its a 2.4 with 100hp per liter that tuned can reach 1,000 with ease.

so with that said, this is getting ridiculous.

he said he wants a new car, gen1 out of the question. it sounds to me by the way hes defending the xb2 and the purposes behind getting one that hes made his mind up. so the thread is quite pointless now.

its just a gen1 vs gen2 ____ match.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question? Why do so many XB1 owners hang out here?

killerxromances. You think one directional. Not bad, just one directional. You, and all that traffic here from XB forum for gen1, can never understand how wrong your thinking is until you sit in and take an XB2 on a ride (open mindedly). Hopefully one modded out with ride gear. Then you will see and feel the great advancement made by the updated design. It's that simple. Don't get me wrong I like both designs, yet having driven both, and having owned suv vehicles, you clearly are mistaken. my friend. Learn to Grow.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question? Why do so many XB1 owners hang out here?

killerxromances. You think one directional. Not bad, just one directional. You, and all that traffic here from XB forum for gen1, can never understand how wrong your thinking is until you sit in and take an XB2 on a ride (open mindedly). Hopefully one modded out with ride gear. Then you will see and feel the great advancement made by the updated design. It's that simple. Don't get me wrong I like both designs, yet having driven both, and having owned suv vehicles, you clearly are mistaken. my friend. Learn to Grow.
im talking looks only. yes, there are improvements and i have test driven one with an open mind when they first came out. i wanted to like it for what it was, but i didnt. there arent any great improvements...not that i can see anyway.

between the added weight, the wrong engine, (i have despised the 2az long before it was introduced to the scion brand) blind spots that dont make since and the length which appears to be useless since you cant really haul anymore than you can with the gen1, i dont care for it.

you cant say im wrong for having my own opinions, its just that. an opinion. if you like it, so be it. but i dont see any reason to like it based on the opinion i feel the xb should have been and could have been.

i personally feel scion had it right with the xa and xb1 when they had light weight, small engines and practical use. City driving. they have since then americanized it and ruined the xb imo. the xd is okay, who knows what the tc will end up being replaced with.

point is, if anyone is having a "closed minded" reservation it would be you for saying my opinions are wrong.

just because i hate the xb2 doesnt make me wrong.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances sig
Past:
'98 Integra GSR - 231whp - All motor
'04 Scion Xb - 203whp - Boosted

Current:
04' Mini S - full exhaust
96' Camry LE - Stock - FOR SALE
Why exactly are you such a rabid gen1/ anti gen2 xB person when you don't even own a Scion any more according to your sig???
Just curious.

Back on topic: StompinStu get rid of that Jeep and go for the gen2 xB. It sounds like a good fit for you.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes people are entitled to their own opinion. you stated why you do not like it. that is fine but a lot of 1st gen'r come here and claim scion should never of made the 2nd gen the way they did. maybe they aren't targeting you or the people who own 1st gen maybe they are trying to get people who wanted something that looked like the 2nd gen.

Scion biggest thing is to get people in the door to the class b type cars and with 3 cars in the line up at anygiven time. you going to have to get something that everyone will like. what this means is if you have to redesign it to fit a certian style. then in order to grab the person who does like it. you need to make it. who knows come 2010 or 2011 they will drop back to something completely different like the half car half truck idea or go back to the boxy appeal

not vary many people will swap loans every year to get a new car. sure people lease cars. but not all that many. most people buy cars once ever 3 to 4 years.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:18 AM
SL Member

I put some Tanabe DF210's on and besides looking WAY better with less fender gap, the ride actually improved. Much less body roll in corners and less up and down over the crappy Cali. roads. Now I just need to get some rims as my stock tires are getting down on the tread...Finally!

I have averaged 785 miles a week since I got my xB2 in Sept. Even around town I get 26 and on highway trips I see 29-30...I have saved soooo much $$$ on gas compared to driving my 2001 XJ the same miles before the box.

Oh, and I actually drove a xB1 first, and decided that the price difference between the new and old was so menial. Plus there are so many xB1's around here. I like the look of the newer box. Plus a brand new ride and a grip of extra power and safety features sold me the minute I drove the 5 speed!

BOX ON!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've tried to stay away, but too late now...

Originally Posted by killerxromances
i wanted to like it for what it was, but i didnt. there arent any great improvements...not that i can see anyway.
Size does matter. Additionally the Gen2 has side & side curtain airbags, 4-wheel disc brakes, Traction Control, Projector beam halogen headlamps, etc.

Originally Posted by killerxromances
they have since then americanized it and ruined the xb imo.
And what country is the 2nd Gen xB designed for and sold in?

Read signature below.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 AM
SL Member

LMAO at your post CIONIDE... Some people are just stuck in their own lil place on earth and can't see the good in advancements in safety and size and...
Old 05-02-2008, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

As a recent purchaser of an xB2, I would like to weigh in. I am new to these forums and have been lurking for a while, but it seems like xB1 owners are the ones being overly defensive. You think the xB1 is superior and feel betrayed by Toyota/Scion because of the xB2 redesign. I get it.

But understand that there is a growing segment of consumers (like me) who would never have bought an xB1 and are attracted to the larger, (slightly) rounder xB2 with a bigger engine. The redesign clearly wasn't intended to serve the xB1 fan base but rather to EXPAND the consumer base and grow market share. They didn't do it because they hate you or don't care about you. They did it because they are trying to increase sales of a vehicle/brand that is getting a lot of recognition as a great value with some style.

Sure the xB1 gets better MPG but as far as I can tell, that's its only real advantage and the thing that xB1 enthusiasts keep clinging to. To my eyes, the xB2 looks and feels more like a "real car" and less like something that should have a giant wind-up key sticking out of the roof or circus clowns piling out of it.

I love my xB2, but I can understand those that love their xB1's. It just wasn't for me.

As far as the OP goes, sounds like you'd be happier with the "new car experience" so I say go with a new xB2.

Quick Reply: About to drink the Scion Kool-Aid