Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

any reported windshield cracks on new xb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:52 AM

hey bro, give me an addresss, dealer quoted me 1000 bucks installed on my 08xb.

i literally cried when he gave me the quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't ever go to the dealership for anything other than to purchase your car, or get warranty/recall work done.

ANYTHING else can be done cheaper somewhere else.

He11, Bigfieroman can't even get the dealership to do an alignment; that's total BS!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem chewy, this is the spot, it's in Orange County and it takes about 2 hours to do. I'm picking it up tomorrow morning...

$350 no tax
Dee's windshield repair

http://www.deeswindshieldrepair.com/

15142-D Beach Boulevard.
Midway City, CA 92655
1-800-732-DEES
714-372-3003
Old 02-06-2008, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Mine cracked on the passenger side this morning on the way to work. I was crusing along on a country road with no other cars on the road and it just popped up. I checked to make sure there wasn't a ding that'd I'd missed before and it's a perfect crack coming up from below the cowl. There's no indication that anything has hit my windshield.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats exactly what mine did
Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member

mine did as well, crack came from under molding on pass side , heard pop and saw crack while pulling outta drive way.
dealer has car now putting new ws in , no charge
Old 02-15-2008, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I've seen too many posts about cracking windshields. I sent them an e-mail.

"My windshield cracked last week on my way to work. I was alone on the road and all of sudden a crack appeared on the passenger side. It came from under the cowl went about two inches over the wiper and turned towards the passenger side. I put 4 windshields in my '04 XB so I'm pretty attentive to the condition of my glass. I don't remember seeing any damage the last time I cleaned the car or looked at the windshield. The crack does have one small place where it is chipped but it's very clean and symetrical. I believe the crack caused it. All other glass damage I've seen had a rough splatter or spider web type look. I took it to Florence Toyota to try and have it replaced under warranty but they claimed the little chip caused the crack and wouldn't assist me any further. I'm not a glass expert but there's no doubt in my mind it is a stress fracture. I frequent www.scionlife.com and www.clubxb.com and posts about this type and location of windshield crack are becoming very common. Fortunately South Carolina has a law that forces my insurance company to replace my windshield for free but there are many other proud Scion owners who don't have that luxury. I think this is a serious matter that needs to be looked into by Scion/Toyota. Windshields are a safety item and I don't need the extra worry about the car breaking itself. I've been driving for 22 years and I've never had to replace a windshield until I owned a Scion. I really like my XBs but if something isn't done about this, I'll never own another. "
Old 02-15-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Good job Chadfo!!!

Mine's been cracked since about 3 months into ownership. I think it's pretty ridiculous. I'm not sure if it's just cheap glass, the way the car is shaped, or just something dumb from the factory.

Another question is if OEM is the only way to get glass. If the OEM glass cracks this easily, I'd rather not go OEM...
Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Other manufacturer's will make the glass. Through several windshields in my '04 XB I found that APC made the best glass for it. I'll be asking for APC for my '08 if it's available.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Anyone needs one in the philly area I can do them at the shop for under $700
Old 02-16-2008, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Scion replied and asked that I call them or provide a number for them to call me. I just called and in the interest of customer service they offered to pay to have the windshield replaced. I denied because my insurance will cover it (save that $$ for you guys that don't get that coverage). I told her I just wanted someone to investigate because that crack is becoming common.

If you want to see this get fixed, e-mail or call in and let them know you have a problem. 1-866-70-SCION
Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
Scion replied and asked that I call them or provide a number for them to call me. I just called and in the interest of customer service they offered to pay to have the windshield replaced. I denied because my insurance will cover it (save that $$ for you guys that don't get that coverage). I told her I just wanted someone to investigate because that crack is becoming common.

If you want to see this get fixed, e-mail or call in and let them know you have a problem. 1-866-70-SCION
^ Please know that by calling in, you will not automatically get the windshield replaced for free-- It must be due to a manufacturer's defect (stress crack) and the only way for Scion corp to know whether or not the windshield cracked due to a manufacturer's defect or from being impacted, is from the diagnosis that dealerships perform-

Also, in the above case, goodwill was offered in the interest of customer service AND because he is a repeat Scion customer (brand loyalty).

If you do call in though, it will definitely be documented at national headquarters and you will be issued a case number starting with 2008, as a reference number.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my xB for 3 weeks and my windshield has a crack. Probably from highway rocks.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine has a huge crack and im ____ed off kinda upsets me alot pretty upset about the whole thing and the price of a new one
Old 02-21-2008, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This isn't covered by warranty is it? I'd figure I ask a dumb question before I spend money. I have a $500 deductable.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
This isn't covered by warranty is it? I'd figure I ask a dumb question before I spend money. I have a $500 deductable.
If a rock damaged the windshield, it's not covered by the warranty. It's only coverable by the warranty if it cracks and there's no sign of impact damage.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i driven the hwy twice
within 400 miles i have about 30 rock chips on the hood alone

and like 5 chipped on the glass
and 1 still have a rock in it lol
pretty disappointed
Old 02-25-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

19K Miles with no cracks. Mostly all highway 70+ MPH.

i drove to florida from ohio and back and i frequently go between NY and ohio with no problem. ive hit many rocks and ice chunks with no problems.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 PM

mine cracked within the first month....but in ky your insurance has to fix one per year
Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by s-teal_xb
mine cracked within the first month....but in ky your insurance has to fix one per year
you think thats bad mine cracked (more like crushed, rock the size of a golfball) the third day i had the car, i was soo mad i wanted to turn around and start throwing rocks at the semi-truck that did it. I've got five or six now so whatever.

Quick Reply: any reported windshield cracks on new xb?