Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Anyone try the Phillps 1157A-ST Silverstar bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone try the Phillps 1157A-ST Silverstar bulbs?

Oops -- error in title :o! It's Sylvania, not Phillips!

I was reading a different car forum where some people were checking out some "stealth" front turn signal bulbs and it seemed like a decent mod. Seems like the best bet might be a Phillips Silver Vision, but I haven't spotted a replacement (PY21/5W) for the 1157A. Another possibility would be the Sylvania Silverstar (1157A-ST), though I understand it has something of a blue cast.

Has anyone played with this?

Last edited by TrevorS; 10-11-2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Title error :(
Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this doesn't pertain to you as an xB owner, but I had low beams/highbeams from Sylvania and my left bulb blew out within the year. Maybe the smaller bulbs will last out a bit longer, but I'm pretty dissatisfied with the quality of the bulb. A year is NOTHING to what a bulbs life should be.

hopefully someone can post about xB-related experiences though. just my 2 cents
Old 10-11-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, if there are more reliable brands to Sylvania that will do the job, I've no problem with that ! My main concern is that whatever I install, the brightness will be at least similar to OE. Visibility of turn signals are a safety issue and they should be attention grabbing even in daylight -- the OE are.

I'm currently running Sylvania Silverstar headlights in my Eclipse and they're fine so far, though not that many hours really over the year since I installed them. My previous vehicles used the round Sylvania hi/lo 6014 incandescent headlights, and although I'd occasionally have to replace one, it was only very occasionally over the many years I had them. For one of the small bulbs to fail is even more infrequent, though to be sure, it does happen.

Last edited by TrevorS; 10-12-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it's entirely possible that i just got a fluke set haha. but regardless of that, most of the after market bulbs have at least the same, if not higher, output. My friend had a set, xenons i think, of turn signals and they weren't stealth, per se, but they looked like...chameleon...if that makes sense. and it was pretty hard to tell when staring from the outside at the housing.

maybe look into those?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Silverstar low beams and turn signals. They work great. Keep in mind, at least for the low beam bulbs, that is says right on the package that because they are brighter, they will not last as long.

The turn signal bulbs are amber bulbs with a blue iridescent coating. They look pretty darn cool. Other than the blue coating, they are standard bulbs. No brighter.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm really not expecting any of the aftermarket "stealth" bulbs to be brighter than the standard amber 1157A. Instead, I was wondering how much less bright they are relative to OE in broad daylight.

In the case of the 1157A-ST, I was also wondering just how blue it actually looks in the headlight assembly. I ran across this photo in an other forum and I've the feeling it would look very blue with my SW.

Name:  XBsilverstar1157A.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  55.8 KB

Last edited by TrevorS; 10-12-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NEVER touch the bulb glass. That is the #1 cause of failures in modern bulbs.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDxD
well it's entirely possible that i just got a fluke set haha. but regardless of that, most of the after market bulbs have at least the same, if not higher, output. My friend had a set, xenons i think, of turn signals and they weren't stealth, per se, but they looked like...chameleon...if that makes sense. and it was pretty hard to tell when staring from the outside at the housing.

maybe look into those?
I've been looking around at what people have been saying elsewhere comparing "stealth" with OE turn signal bulb brightness and they seem to differ from your conclusion. But, perhaps you've found the right "Stealth" 1157A replacement. What are you using? (I'm presuming you've seriously compared the two in broad daylight. Say, OE in one light assembly and the "Stealth" in the other and then stand back and compare with both flashing.)

Last edited by TrevorS; 10-12-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah I'm sorry to say, that I was actually talking about what's labeled on the package. That was entirely my mistake though. I actually don't know much about lighting (i work on engine/suspension, i merely just bought the sylvarstars and have helped friends install their bulbs)....I just figured I'd give my input on my experience with the product. Sorry for that mistake!

And thanks to stuntman mike, I had never seen that notation on the package. Now i know
Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man, I'd love to be able to believe advertising and marketing copy, but it just doesn't work -- at least, not for me. I always hope to identify the reality before I lay down my dollars (not always successful, of course ).
Old 10-13-2009, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I hear you on that :\ have you found a solution to your question yet?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trevor, check out the "Chrome-Dome" or the "1156 or 1157 Silver Chrome" about 2/3 down the page. Not sure if it's along the lines of what you're looking for, but at $3 or $4 per bulb it might be worth checking out.

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm
Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Trevor, check out the "Chrome-Dome" or the "1156 or 1157 Silver Chrome" about 2/3 down the page. Not sure if it's along the lines of what you're looking for, but at $3 or $4 per bulb it might be worth checking out.

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm
Thanks Dude !

I've ordered a pair of JDM "silver/chrome" 1157 bulbs which are supposedly ECC approved for use in Europe (or at least their 1156 cousins), so I hope to be able to check them out this weekend. I don't see any approval info on the Chrome-Dome, though I see they claim 40% brighter than the full silver version. Wonder what affect the amber portion has on the "fried egg" appearance , a compromise I suppose! The JDM are costing me $13.50, and these would be a little under $12, so if the JDM don't work out, I can give them a try.

Thanks again !
Old 10-14-2009, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Thanks Dude !
Always happy help out. They seemed like a cheap enough option to check out. I'm looking forward to your report.

I went with the dual white/amber LED signal bulbs and new flasher from V-LEDS, but they were $75. I really like them, and for those who haven't seen them; when they flash they are actually yellow, not amber, and match the yellow flash of the side view mirror turn signals nicely. (The yellow LEDs are clearly visible during daylight also.)
Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Always happy help out. They seemed like a cheap enough option to check out. I'm looking forward to your report.

I went with the dual white/amber LED signal bulbs and new flasher from V-LEDS, but they were $75. I really like them, and for those who haven't seen them; when they flash they are actually yellow, not amber, and match the yellow flash of the side view mirror turn signals nicely. (The yellow LEDs are clearly visible during daylight also.)
I have been looking for the thread where you posted the details and link to the bulbs. However, I can not find it. Would you be so kind as to post a link?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ocotillo
I have been looking for the thread where you posted the details and link to the bulbs. However, I can not find it. Would you be so kind as to post a link?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162980

Page 1 has the links for the bulbs & the flasher near the top of the page, and the instructions for replacement of the flasher near the bottom of the page. Keep in mind that going with these bulbs & flasher will remove the flashing of the front & rear turn signals when you use the remote to lock or unlock the doors; some people hate that. (The beeps still occur when you use the remote, just not the flashing lights.)

I just checked the link in the thread that I posted above, and it takes you to the 6k white/amber bulbs. These are the 5k bulbs that I purchased:
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/T...-p7114824.html

Last edited by CIONIDE; 10-14-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The last set of Silverstar bulbs I ran for about 12months first bulb and 14 months on the second,they perform well but burn out way too fast for the cost.

Back to the OEM bulbs, and no I never touched the glass part of the bulb.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matt9876
The last set of Silverstar bulbs I ran for about 12months first bulb and 14 months on the second,they perform well but burn out way too fast for the cost.

Back to the OEM bulbs, and no I never touched the glass part of the bulb.
I gather you're talking about the turn signal bulbs, not the headlights -- wow, that's pretty bad !
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JDMs arrived today. Took a couple photos with just one installed (on flash and between flash), and then three photos with both installed (two zoomed). I'm satisfied.

Name:  XBturnSignalsJDMright_1.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  XBturnSignalsJDMbothOn_1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  110.6 KB
Name:  XBturnSignalsJDMbothOn_2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  63.7 KB
Name:  XBturnSignalsJDMbothOff_2.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  63.4 KB