BlendMount installation and pictures for 2008 xB

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default BlendMount installation and pictures for 2008 xB

Hi,

It was fairly easy to install the BlendMount, I think I ended up taking more of the xB apart than I really need to, so I've tried to remove any extra steps for parts I removed that I don't think needed to be removed.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN - ONE WORD OF WARNING. You will be working RIGHT NEAR part of the side curtain airbag, SO DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL FROM YOUR BATTERY BEFORE YOU BEGIN. It takes a 10mm wrench to loosen the negative nut. Pull the connector off the battery and put it to the side where it will not be able to make contact with the battery.

Step #1 : We already covered above, but it is worth mentioning again: REMOVE NEGATIVE LEAD FROM BATTERY. YOU WILL BE WORKING CLOSE TO AN AIRBAG.

Step #2 : Go ahead and mount the BlendMount using its instructions. I ended up using the large collar, large linkage, and 3 washers to get the ScanGauge at the height I wanted which was just below the ceiling.

Step #3 : Remove the A-pillar trim. Pull on the top of it and it will come free as I think there are only 2 plastic connectors holding it down. You will get it free, but the top is held by a retainer that you must use needle nose pliers to free up. What you need to do is pull it out enough to get some needle nose pliers grabbed on to the black retainer. Twist the retain 90 degrees and it will fit through the slot and release the A-piller trim. I had to push the airbag just slightly forward and out of the way to grab the retainer. The A-pillar trim just pulls out.

[sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the A-piller trim off!]

Step #4 : The ScanGauge cable is long enough to make it the full distance so you don't need an extra cable or coupler. Route the RJ45 connector of the ScanGauge up from underneath the drivers side until you reach the bottom area of the A-pillar trim you removed. Pull it through and gauge about how much you need to have from the top of the A-pillar to the center where it will come out at the BlendMount. I found it easy to start this cable by pulling just slightly down on the ceiling at the A-pillar to feed the cable. Then keep pulling down and moving across until you have the entire cable in the ceiling area and sticking out near the BlendMount. Make sure the cable has enough room to plug in to the back of the mount. You may have to feed a little or pull a little back to get it adjusted just right.

Step #5 : Once adjusted, go ahead and use some wire ties to tie the cable to the existing black cable going through the area.

Step #6 : You can put the A-Pillar trim back in place. Make CERTAIN that you use needle nose pliers to again turn the retainer 90 degrees and feed it into the trim panel. Verify it is connected by tugging a bit and watch the connector turn to its locked position. I would imagine that without the retainer this piece of trim might go flying during an air bag deploy so make sure you get it back the way it was.

Step #7 : From underneath add a few more wire ties to tie the cable to a cable already running along its path.

Step #8 : Plug it in. I went ahead an tied it to the bottom of the electrical box as well.

Step #9 : The fastener that MGT folks supplied is kind of cool in that both sides look like the non fuzzy side of a velcro. But, worry not as they mate together with no problem. Clean off the ScanGauge back with the wipe supplied and add the fastener. Stick the ScanGauge to the BlendMount and plug it in. You may have to adjust the angle of the BlendMount so it is clearest for the driver and tighten it with an allen wrench. I had to unplug my ScanGauge from the back to fit the allen wrench in there.

That's it. Honestly I took much more of my xB apart doing this than I needed to as I followed the instructions from the ElectroChromatic mirror a little more than I should have.

My pictures show the ScanGauge mounted towards the driver slightly. You could mount it perfectly straight if you prefer that, but the display was a little crisper when I turned it a little so that is why I did it.

Here is a shot with the lights off, everything configured to be orange-ish:

Thanks,

Alan
Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow// good job!! orange blens in well with your existing color.. Nice!! jh
Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi,

Thanks, I'm pleased with how it turned out. I was trying to figure out where I was going to put the ScanGauge until I discovered the BlendMount.

It is funny, it matches all the orange, but I think on ScanGauge's list of colors it is "red". I thought I would have to use their custom color feature to match it, but this matches well so I didn't.

Thanks,

Alan