Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)

I've had my xB for about a month now and only yesterday did I have to back up in a very dark area. Well... I don't think the back-up light works very well. I don't know if it's because it's too low or that there is only 1 light - probably a combination of both.

Is there a drop-in replacement bulb that would be much brighter? There are several types of LED bulbs out there that will replace the 7440 so I want to make sure I get the best one I can.

Ideally, I'd like to drop an H3 bulb in there! It would be like having a fog light back there!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just throw HIDs in there, haha

I dont know which bulb would be the brightest but look for one with many LEDs.... superflux LEDs are really bright. I just got a hyper white one. bright enough for me
Old 11-04-2007, 10:29 PM
JRT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still don't get the one back up light. I hope some one comes out with some nice tail lights with back up's in them
Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok JRT Here's your one word answer "Scion"

Let's do a rundown:

1 armrest, centered gauges, 1 backup light, single color interior, 1 engine choice, square (well sortof now) etc.

Now your getting it!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lets ____in turn it into a cockpit like the McLaren huh?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I searched and searched for a brighter 7440 (21W) bulb and couldn't find one. I found 27W bulbs that claimed to be brighter but they were the usual blue colored crap that is strictly for show and, at best, the same brightness. I'm skeptical of LED replacements since they usually fail to live up to their hype unless fitted into a reflector/lens assembly specifically designed for an LED bulb.

AFAIK, the only way to substantially increase the brightness of the stock backup light would be to replace the stock BU light assembly with a fog light assembly or something similar. If someone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it because I too think the stock backup light is insufficient.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

its lame that its on the drivers side, cuz i need it on the passenger side so i can see the curb better when paralleling
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about getting this? I'm thinking about getting it on my Scion. I'm guessing the back door is roughly 51" wide, and the LED is 48-49" wide. You can get the one with a REVERSE light in it for only $45.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...p=WX2&i=116918

What do all of you think?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:35 AM
JRT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danos_XBox
Ok JRT Here's your one word answer "Scion"

Let's do a rundown:

1 armrest, centered gauges, 1 backup light, single color interior, 1 engine choice, square (well sortof now) etc.

Now your getting it!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 PM

nherweck, I think that's a very interesting idea, If you decide to do it I wou;d really like to know how the installation went and what you think of the back-up light output. Pictures would be nice too.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:41 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I too am disappointed in the reverse light, it sucks trying to back out at night. I haven't got under there to check what can be done, but would it be possible to modify a 9005 bulb? Dremel the slot and wire it some how?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nherweck
What about getting this? I'm thinking about getting it on my Scion. I'm guessing the back door is roughly 51" wide, and the LED is 48-49" wide. You can get the one with a REVERSE light in it for only $45.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...p=WX2&i=116918

What do all of you think?
I looked at the pics and thought about it for 5 minutes. It's a nice idea but I wouldn't install that on my car. It looks OK on a pickup truck but still not that great (in my opinion).

Do any of you guys ride bicycles? In the cycling community there are LED headlights that maybe have 6 or so LEDs on them and they are vey bright! They basically look like LED flashlights. I have one and it would work nicely as a back-up light. The secret is probably in the reflector. I suppose a nice 7440 replacement LED bulb would work nicel in the xB2 if the reflector was changed to optimize the LEDs. I wish I could fabricate stuff like this...
Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JRT
I still don't get the one back up light. I hope some one comes out with some nice tail lights with back up's in them
Or get the Rumion lenses...

Then you can turn the single backup light in the bumper into one of those "euro" single red lights. Just an idea.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Just add one of these...

Backing up at night is great! I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my rear view mirror, because I don't even use it anymore. The night vision rocks on this thing!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn that's sweet! I think I've seen your car on one of the forums before. As soon as somebody figures out how to hook a camera up to the SNS I might do that. A backup cam is listed if you look at the SNS diagnostic screen... It's only a matter of time before somebody hacks it. Plus I like my rear wiper so i'd have to make a new hole.

I'd keep the rear-view mirror if I was in your shoes. Having an the camera is a novel idea, but the mirror will always be there in case your screen is being used by your navigation, iPod controls, etc. Just the other day my GF was changing songs when we were using the navigation. If I was really lost this would have been a problem.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HEY LOOK!! Theres an xB in the background of the camera shot.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:24 AM

Yes, your aftermarket in-dash system is nice, as is your back-up camera which replaces your rear wiper. I'm still wondering if anyone knows about a good replacement lightbulb for the back-up light....
Old 11-06-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Originally Posted by Papa
Yes, your aftermarket in-dash system is nice, as is your back-up camera which replaces your rear wiper. I'm still wondering if anyone knows about a good replacement lightbulb for the back-up light....
Sorry... I'm still a little excited. As far as I know, there is nothing... yet...
Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by silvrxb
HEY LOOK!! Theres an xB in the background of the camera shot.
Lol!! So am I!! 4gauge septum rings FTW!!!

to the person wanting to keep the stock rear wiper, get one of the license plate frame mounted cameras. They seem to have more adjustability.

I looked into replacing the 7440 bulb with a cool white led array... But I read somewhere on here that someone has done this. IIRC they said it was indeed bright, but lacked in output. LED's are bright, but don't really project unless like ScionFred said, there's reflectors, etc.

Maybe pop out the bulb and use some posterboard and make a little template of the openning. Then go to autozone or wherever that sells bulb sockets, and see what else will fit. Maybe it's a bad idea and I need to eat lunch...
Old 11-06-2007, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Maybe pop out the bulb and use some posterboard and make a little template of the openning. Then go to autozone or wherever that sells bulb sockets, and see what else will fit. Maybe it's a bad idea and I need to eat lunch...
I think you're on the right track. Since there aren't any bright 7440 bulbs, the easiest solution is to replace the socket with one that accepts brighter bulbs. I think I'll look for a replacement socket that accepts a 50W 1156.

Quick Reply: brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)