Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the inside of the backup light housing have mirrored surfaces?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup. Full reflector cup in there. It looks like there's a decent amount of clearance between the bulb and the reflector/lens too. I'd still prefer to replace the entire assy with a 4" 55W fog lite but if the 35W bulb works, I'll settle for that and save a lot of time and money.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes it does. BTW, have you considered going to your car and looking at it? I'm not trying to sound mean, but I couldn't resist because that one was right up there with questions that people ask which are answered in the owner's manual.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Yes it does. BTW, have you considered going to your car and looking at it? I'm not trying to sound mean, but I couldn't resist because that one was right up there with questions that people ask which are answered in the owner's manual.
well, my car's currently at a shop being repaired because it got rear ended by a semi a month ago
Old 11-14-2007, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ouch! So sorry, me bad. I sincerely hope nobody was injured; I'll bet you're glad it was the larger heftier and safer gen2.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Fred, I just came across this article on 50 watt Halogen 1156 bulbs. Unless you know for a fact that you're NEVER going to have your back-up light on for more than one minute, it looks pretty risky. Additionally, the test didn't seem to show a great improvement over stock.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...icles/halogen/

Me thinks we need to find a fully self-contained 4" unit with metal reflector and glass lens to withstand the heat output of a bulb that will produce a significant increase in light output (lumens).
Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good info, CIONIDE and I agree with the author on this point:

"It may be alright for use in a car's backup light, where the bulb is rarely lighted for more than a few seconds, but not as a brake light."

I used a set of 1156 halogen bulbs for BU lites in 2 different vehicles for several years and they were much brighter than standard bulbs and never damaged anything. They weren't 2 1/2 times brighter but still provided much better illumination. I liked them a lot and thought they were well worth it. As for longevity, my set lasted me for over 5 years and were still working when I sold the 2nd car. I'd still have them but I forgot to take them out before selling the car. They probably wouldn't last as long as brake lights.

IMO they may not be a good idea for a colored motorcycle brake light because the colored lens is going to limit the brightness and the housing is too small for a 50W halogen bulb's heat. I'm running a 27W 2057 bulbs in place of the stock 21W 1157 bulbs on my bike and they make a nice improvement with no heat risk. I also tried some "super bright" LEDs and they were simply terrible, just like the pic in that article. There are LED brake lite kits that work well but they replace the reflector with a large LED cluster and require a clear lens to acheive the same brightness as a 21W incandescent bulb. They aren't cheap either.

I agree that a 4" replacement lite assy is the best solution but it's also a lot more work and cost so I'm still going to try these 35W bulbs. I agree that 50W would be too much but I'm optimistic that 35W will be okay with the stock assy and wiring. I've completely given up on LED replacement bulbs for providing good illumination.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This might be the ticket:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...010204/c-10101

The round one has a 3.4" diameter, which would clear the 4" hole nicely without touching the edges (can you say "no heat problems"), and the way the mounting bracket swings 180 degrees and is attached to the back of the housing looks like it would be easy to fabricate a mount to attach underneath the rear framework behind the bumper.

Keep us posted when you get the 35w Halogen checked out.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks like a good idea. Why don't you buy a set, install one, post a thorough DIY with lots of pics and if it works well, I'll buy the second light off you?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I plan on doing that Fred. I've been sitting around with a heart monitor on for the last two days, so I probably won't be able to tackle this for at least a week or two. I'll keep you updated when I make progress, and in the meantime I'm looking forward to hearing how the 35W halogen looks.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CIONIDE, please don't take what I said the wrong way... I was just being a smart-___. You've obviously got more important things on your plate at the moment. I hope you're fine or will be soon and I'll post my results with the 35W bulbs ASAP.

If the 35W bulbs melt my BU lite assy, will you still sell me one of your lites to replace it?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't take it the wrong way at all. To the contrary, I enjoy posting back and forth with you, and I'd like to do the light fix ASAP; just going through a bit of testing that makes it a little harder to do the car stuff right now.

Also saw something about a headlight bulb change that I believe you did. Do you have H9 bulbs for low beams instead of the H11's. If so, have you had any problems at all, and what's it like using a high-beam bulb for your low beams?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And Yes, if it all works, I'd be happy to sell you the extra 55W H3 assembly.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Here is an idea!

I would install fog lights under the bumper and in a little where is metal.
I saw this done on a suv, and you cannot see them unless you are using them, or know they are there.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the Autolumination Wedge Matrix III LED with 36 bulbs arrived Tuesday the 13th. Just picked it up from the office today. (1st day back to work.)

The results:

Wedge Matrix III: $14.99
Tracking #: $2.00
Insurance: $2.00
Shipping: $6.00

Receiving a bulb that doesn't work: PRICELESS

(NO, WAIT A MINUTE, ACTUALLY IT WAS $25 !!)

At this point I'd rather have my $$ back, but I'll have to contact Autolumination to find out what there policy is on sending out a defective bulb.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Well, the Autolumination Wedge Matrix III LED with 36 bulbs arrived Tuesday the 13th. Just picked it up from the office today. (1st day back to work.)

The results:

Wedge Matrix III: $14.99
Tracking #: $2.00
Insurance: $2.00
Shipping: $6.00

Receiving a bulb that doesn't work: PRICELESS

(NO, WAIT A MINUTE, ACTUALLY IT WAS $25 !!)

At this point I'd rather have my $$ back, but I'll have to contact Autolumination to find out what there policy is on sending out a defective bulb.
Try turning the bulb around 180 degrees, CIONIDE, you know led's are + / - sensetive... Put it back in ,but the 'other' way & try it. let us know how it turns out... jh
Old 11-17-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel your pain man. I spent close to $25 and my LEDs are sitting in their boxes. I'm going to try to exchange them for something I can use.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yesterday I tried the bulb 3 times, but never made sure that it was flipped. Odds are 1 in 8 that it would be the wrong way all 3 times. Tried again a few minutes ago, didn't work, odds of 4 times = 1 in 16; I guess it's time to go to Vegas... This time (number 5) made sure to flip bulb 180 degrees, and BINGO - she lights up!

Unfortunately, as already revealed earlier in this thread, visible light output for driving is actually worse, not better, due to lower wattage. Sucks, and not even worth taking pictures of, looks just like rockthebeef's pics on page 3 of this thread.

My next plan was to put in a 55watt H3 halogen driving light, but I have been told that the amp draw would be far too large for the tiny wires that currently supply the back-up light with juice, and that I would need to completely rewire the back-up light. I'm just looking for a little more light, not to reinvent the wheel.

Back to the drawing board, to find an incandescent bulb greater than 21 watts, that will fit through the whole of the existing fixture (1156 bulb is too big).
Old 11-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Maybe throw a few of these back there?

http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-spotlight
Old 11-17-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A couple of us have tried high output LED's already. They work great and are incredibly visible if you're looking at them (turn signals, tail lights, brake lights, etc.) but they don't radiate light very well at all (not enough wattage).

Thanks for the suggestion though, one of the days we'll come up with a good solution. Maybe Toyota will solve it for the '09 model.

Quick Reply: brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)