Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just found this bulb:

http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-19225-Spe.../dp/B0002MAHL8

It's 27W instead of 21W, and the two reviews are good. Not sure if the blue tint might reduce the intensity of the visible light. Anybody have any experience with these?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good find! Wonder if we can find it w/o the blue tint...
Old 11-17-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Went to PIAA website; this is the only one they make. I'm going to see if I can find it at a local accessory shop before going to the trouble to mail-order.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We appreciate the pioneering spirit CIONIDE.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Didn't take it the wrong way at all. To the contrary, I enjoy posting back and forth with you, and I'd like to do the light fix ASAP; just going through a bit of testing that makes it a little harder to do the car stuff right now.

Also saw something about a headlight bulb change that I believe you did. Do you have H9 bulbs for low beams instead of the H11's. If so, have you had any problems at all, and what's it like using a high-beam bulb for your low beams?
Cool... I feel the same way, Bro.

Yes, I did swap H9s in for my H11 low beams and I'm very happy with the results. The H9s require a little modification but it's worth it. 2100 lumens vs 1350 for the H11s. I've had them in for several weeks now and I have only been flashed once, but that was before I re-aimed my headlights to compensate for the TRD drop. There are no signs of any heat-related or wiring problems. Although the H9s draw a little more current and generate a little more heat, it appears to be well within acceptable design tolerances. I bought my Sylvania (Osram) H9s from Amazon for ~$25 shipped and it took 15 minutes to mod and install them. I didn't do a DIY because it's already been done well enough.

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=119161

If the 35W bulbs don't work out I'd be happy to buy that second 55W lite assy from you. Thanks for the offer.

FWIW, I saw those PIAA 7440 bulbs weeks ago but passed on them since their blue tint will very likely reduce their lumens to that of a clear 21W bulb. Also, over-driven bulbs like those PIAAs tend to have a much shorter lifespan. If you haven't seen Daniel Stern's lighting website before, it's well worth a visit.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
Old 11-23-2007, 12:59 AM

anyone have an update on this subject? i really am disliking the backup light...not bright enough at all...
Old 11-23-2007, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This might be the ticket:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...010204/c-10101

The round one has a 3.4" diameter, which would clear the 4" hole nicely without touching the edges (can you say "no heat problems"), and the way the mounting bracket swings 180 degrees and is attached to the back of the housing looks like it would be easy to fabricate a mount to attach underneath the rear framework behind the bumper.

Keep us posted when you get the 35w Halogen checked out.
Have you tried using these? I had the same idea a couple days ago but wasn't sure if it'll work.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Daniel Stern's site is quite informative. Thanks Fred, I had already ordered the PIAA bulb, so I'm going to try it and see if the 25% increase in wattage over the stock bulb provides a noticible increase in visible light. I'll try it out when I get home after the holiday weekend.

RiCe3aTeR; I was told by a friend who is an electrician that the amperage draw on a 55watt halogen driving light would be far too great for the thin wires that supply the 21watt incandescent bulb. He said it would require a complete rewire, and I'm not looking to do that.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Daniel Stern's site is quite informative. Thanks Fred, I had already ordered the PIAA bulb, so I'm going to try it and see if the 25% increase in wattage over the stock bulb provides a noticible increase in visible light. I'll try it out when I get home after the holiday weekend.

RiCe3aTeR; I was told by a friend who is an electrician that the amperage draw on a 55watt halogen driving light would be far too great for the thin wires that supply the 21watt incandescent bulb. He said it would require a complete rewire, and I'm not looking to do that.
Has your electrician friend never heard of a relay?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He deals with homes, not cars, so probably not the best person to have asked. I will do further investigation if necessary, after seeing how well (or poorly) the PIAA bulb works.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm hoping that the PIAA bulb offers some improvement but I do wish they offered a clear version. I like the whiter color of a blue bulb but what I really want is brighter light output. The difference between a 27W 2057and a 21W 1157 is modest but still a noticeable improvement.

IMHO, your friend is quite correct. I haven't measured the actual guage of the backup lite wires but it's obvious that they aren't heavy enough for a 55W halogen. Although one could run new power and ground wires and use a relay to switch the BU lite, you are correct that it would still require significant re-wiring.

BTW, I got 6 of those those mini 35W halogen bulbs (min order: $12)and broke 2 of them trying to mod them to work with the stock socket. The pins are too small, too closely spaced and too rigid to bend or fit. The good news is that the bulbs are smaller and very unlikely to melt anything. Now all I have to do is figure out how to mod the stock socket and/or bulbs to work together or find a replacement socket that will work with these bulbs and BU lite assy. I'm hoping for a breakthrough idea but not very optimistic for an easy solution at this point.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I agree with the desire for more light output, over the color of the light itself. Unfortunately, this is the only bulb I have found with more than 21watts that fits the factory wedge socket.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I agree with the desire for more light output, over the color of the light itself. Unfortunately, this is the only bulb I have found with more than 21watts that fits the factory wedge socket.
Indeed it is. I have a new idea for mounting these bulbs but want to try it before elaborating. I sincerely hope the PIAA bulbs work well as they are a cheap, easy upgrade.

FWIW, I found some 27W 7440 bulbs from Matrix but I doubt that they are any better than the PIAA's, if even as good.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I'm hoping that the PIAA bulb offers some improvement but I do wish they offered a clear version. I like the whiter color of a blue bulb but what I really want is brighter light output. The difference between a 27W 2057and a 21W 1157 is modest but still a noticeable improvement.

IMHO, your friend is quite correct. I haven't measured the actual guage of the backup lite wires but it's obvious that they aren't heavy enough for a 55W halogen. Although one could run new power and ground wires and use a relay to switch the BU lite, you are correct that it would still require significant re-wiring.

BTW, I got 6 of those those mini 35W halogen bulbs (min order: $12)and broke 2 of them trying to mod them to work with the stock socket. The pins are too small, too closely spaced and too rigid to bend or fit. The good news is that the bulbs are smaller and very unlikely to melt anything. Now all I have to do is figure out how to mod the stock socket and/or bulbs to work together or find a replacement socket that will work with these bulbs and BU lite assy. I'm hoping for a breakthrough idea but not very optimistic for an easy solution at this point.
HAHAHA Fred... I got 2 of the 27 watt halogens & snipped away the plastic housing & had it down to bare flat connectors.. then i tried to 's p r e a d' them out just a quarter inch to fit in our stock sockets & BAM.. broke the wire at the glass bulb... 2 Freegin times...... 14 bucks down the drain.......... You know you cant even solder to the wires or the flats.. I think the flats are spot-welded to the wires & they must be stainless steel.... needles to say, i wont try that agian... jh
Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ScionFred,
You can get 7440-style bulb bases from one of the LED distributers (I forgot which one). Maybe you can get one and adapt the 35w bulb to it?

Also, Upon returning the LEDs i got from V-LEDS they told me that they will be releasing a 27 LED SMT shortly. I'm going to wait for those to come out.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im thinkin of changing my brake lights cause one of them went out when i got rear ended
Old 11-27-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have tc with smoked taillights.

This thread has been very helpful for me too. I have tried to find a brighter solution.

On my own I found out that the piaa 27 watt may be brighter. THey have them in 7443(break light), 7440(rear turn signal) and 921. ( the 921/912 are the tc's reverse lights)

I am waiting to hear CIONIDE's feed back. If it is good I am going to get all 3.

I am sorry to hear that that 1 reverse light on the new xB is a 7440. THat sucks.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PIAA bulbs ordered the 18th, shipped the 19th (UPS), arrived at UPS facility in San Pablo, CA Sunday the 25th. No notification on tracking info that they have left San Pablo yet... based on their commercials, it appears UPS can ship internationally faster than they can domestically.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am trying to find the PIAA 7440 27 watters locally.. havent hany luck so far...... any one know of retailers who sell them??? jh
Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you go to www.piaa.com and click on "dealers" you can put in your area code & first 3 digits of your phone number to find local dealers. I did that before ordering from Amazon, but the three dealers in my area (within 20 miles) did not stock the bulbs, and were all 20-30% more expensive than Amazon.

Quick Reply: brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)