Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks ...........D Unit.

So if someone writes just "BUMP" so that it is at the top of the RECENT POSTS list.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
HAHAHA Fred... I got 2 of the 27 watt halogens & snipped away the plastic housing & had it down to bare flat connectors.. then i tried to 's p r e a d' them out just a quarter inch to fit in our stock sockets & BAM.. broke the wire at the glass bulb... 2 Freegin times...... 14 bucks down the drain.......... You know you cant even solder to the wires or the flats.. I think the flats are spot-welded to the wires & they must be stainless steel.... needles to say, i wont try that agian... jh
I was able to solder to the pins on these 35W halogen bulbs but I never got the new connectors just right and broke all 4 bulbs while modding or installing them. They're very fragile (as you know!). I was very close but not close enough. It might be possible to do something with these bulbs and some T20 wedge bases but I've had enough. I don't mind the $12 I lost so much but my time is another matter.

Since I really don't believe any LED is well suited to this application I'm waiting impatiently for CIONIDE's results with the PIAA bulbs.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it's a bust guys. I've been playing with the two bulbs (original 21watt and PIAA 27watt Xteme white), and it ain't worth it at all. You can bet I'll be posting my results on Amazon, so nobody listens to the BS promoted by the other two guys that bought these bulbs from them, and may even be shills for the company. I know PIAA is a good company, and take nothing away from them, but these bulbs are not a solution for anything that takes a 7440 bulb!

I've never dealt with trying to post pictures here, and this isn't even worth it. I will say that the light from the PIAA bulb is much more white, but it provides less luminescence (is that a word?) than the stock bulb.

It's very apparent that Toyota needs to do some serious work here. I'm hoping that they monitor the internet sites related to their vehicles, and come up with an easy solution for the '09 model.

I'd like to keep working on it, but unless I find a better fixture that has a prism lens of some sort to disburse the light, I'm not inclined to keep spending $$ on "tests".

I still have an open mind, and will still look at other options, but don't count on any miracles soon. I appreciate all the support and good comments, but I'm only human.

I have been wondering... D_Unit, how did you know I was an FM in college, since you were 6 years old when I went to UCLA?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the up-date, CIONIDE. (FM)... back to the drawing board for me & Fred.... Yesterday I managed to seat a 27 watt 880 Halogen bulb in there, but it wiggled a little today when I pull the socket to check on it .. I can't have it wiggle in the least. So I yanked it. When I DID test it last night, though, it didnt look any brighter than stock though....
Now, I am looking for a small 37 watt haolgen fixture to actually mount on the passenger side.. I want a very small rectangular single fixture & I found a good spot to hang it, depending on the bracket. I could always fab a bracket out of aluminum that will be hidden anyways.. Now just to find the perfect fixture........ Thanks agian for the report, CIONIDE... jh
Old 11-29-2007, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem jimmbomb, I wish the results were better. How is it keeping that black beauty clean in St. Louis winters? I love the BSP, but even in California refused to deal with it.

I haven't given up yet, just not willing to have the weight of 20,000 xB gen2 ownwers (and growing) on my shoulders. I'm still going to do R&D, and will keep you all posted, as I know everybody else will do. I must say, I've never seen a cult car with this much owner love and support. Thanks guys and dolls.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CIONIDE says.."How is it keeping that black beauty clean in St. Louis winters? I love the BSP, but even in California refused to deal with it. ""
Mine is nautical Blue mettalic, but as you can see , it look very black at certian time.. & it's a PAIN in the butt to keep clean.. I must have washed it 10 times since I got it in July.. Aint even been thu a winter yet.... gonna be a ____er..... jh
Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure you use those "special" cloth rags for drying, or you'll get that spider web look that we (you) hate to see.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for sharing CIONIDE. Anyone of you guys considering the Rumion taillights with the integrated backup lights?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When they come out with LED Rumion tails, then I'll think about it... it's gonna take time for Japanese aftermarketeers to come out with Aftermarket tails for the Rumion...
Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jimmbomb, help me out, maybe I'm totally clueless, but aren't the Rumion taillights you put on LED's!?! I apologize now if I'm a totally ignorant idiot (notice "ignorant" which means not knowing, as opposed to STUPID). All the pics you posted look like LED's to me. Am I completely wrong?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
jimmbomb, help me out, maybe I'm totally clueless, but aren't the Rumion taillights you put on LED's!?! I apologize now if I'm a totally ignorant idiot (notice "ignorant" which means not knowing, as opposed to STUPID). All the pics you posted look like LED's to me. Am I completely wrong?
His are just the ultra rad new xB taillights offered through the dealer made by TYC. Just like the tC's are.

I absolutely love the LED tails Jimmbomb and a couple others have. I'm jealous. I hate you guys.

J/k!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YES The 'SCION' tail lights are LED..... That's the SCION's version w/out reverse lights..
Then you got the 'RUMION"tails w/ reverse lights & they (Rumion) are NOT LED.... kaaa peeeeeeechhhhhhhh??? lol lol
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...1613&start=120
this page here shows the Rumion tail WITH reverse lights on both sides!!!. hhhhhhmmmmm mabey just the thing for you, CIONIDE......... check it out..

http://www.newscionparts.com/product/?id=2759

jh
Old 11-29-2007, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Originally Posted by CIONIDE
His are just the ultra rad new xB taillights offered through the dealer made by TYC. Just like the tC's are.

I absolutely love the LED tails Jimmbomb and a couple others have. I'm jealous. I hate you guys.

J/k!
hey xserveredveganx, I'll GIVE you my old ones, if you'll fab them up onto yours & have 4 showing!!! cool , huh?? lol lol

ps, CIONIDE.. I DIDN'T put 'Rumion' tails on mine, I put on the Scion's (TYC) LED's. the Ultra rad ones as some genious' calle em!!!.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks JH, I'm learning slowly and patiently. I really like them, and commend you for being an innovator in the U.S. (Continental U.S. that is, no offense Marshall.)
Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Do what now?!?!

You hooking a guy up!? Lol!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're in Utah... talk to Marie Osmond about hooking up!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This sucks! Every other car on the road today has at least 42w of backup light, some have 54W and many can add halogen bulbs providing 100w but Scion decided that a mere 21w was enough for the XB...
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I just want to say thanx to CIONIDE. I almost bought those exact bulbs before I started doing research in hear. saved me some money thanx.

I'll get out of this thread since I'm a tc now but 1 other question:

what does "BSP" mean?

Thanx and good luck to you all fixing the back up light issue.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:20 PM

BSP = Black Sand Pearl
Old 11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know, CIONIDE gave me his idea & I am gonna go looking.. He said mabey just remove the stock assembly all together & find something that will fit into the hole.. So since I'm on vacation with nuthing better to do, off I go to the stores with light in hand searching... searching.. & will report back later any success.. Gonna look for a 38 watter halogen, as any 27 watter (H) might be a waste of time trying to fab up.. jh

Quick Reply: brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)