Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Hey D Unit,

Just so you know, it's midget hearse xb, not midget ears.

Wouldn't an HID get too hot to be seated into a plastic bumper? Obviously, for normal use it shouldn't, but some folks in here backup quite a ways... just a thought.

cc
Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
It's 3am in Maryland, do you ever sleep?

It sucks that they have to be ordered from Japan; obviously no group buy until we know it's a good solution with better visibility over distance (we already know it's not about the "brightness" claims).

My guess would be for the Standard White (3,100K), since I've already seen that a blue tinted Xtreme White incandescent bulb with 28% (128% haha) more wattage than a regular incandescent bulb actually produced less visible light at distance.

Ask them if Catz is willing to put their money where their mouth is, and send you one sample bulb free of charge. If it's as good as they say it is, and you can post some pics to prove it is what they say it is, then I'll put up the front money for a quantity purchase and deal with drop shipping for members that want it.

First let's see what they say about a sample. If it gets that far, and the bulb looks good to you and I, we can then put up a posting to see what kind of purchase interest there would be. Even in a group buy, I don't expect the price to drop too significantly.

Please run it by Sigma, and see what they think.

Thanks for doing the leg/finger work on this.
I'll sleep when I'm dead!

I heard back from Daniel Stern today. No good news here:

I'm looking for a brighter 7440 bulb...

"No such bulb exists yet, I'm afraid."

DS
I also heard from Sigma again. Better news here:

Hi Fred,

Firstly, you do know that this item comes in single-pk only. Thus 50
units = 25 pairs.

I can do $34 / unit if & only if you order 50 units. I will not grant
this price if your order is less than 50 units. And domestic freight
from Massachusetts is optional. But UPS Ground shouldn't be that much,
maybe another $25~35 or so w/ insurance...

Edward
SigmaAuto.com

I haven't replied yet to ask for a free sample but I plan to do that soon. $34 isn't too bad if it works well but getting a sample, testing it and getting 50 orders together before 12/23 could be a PITA. My vacation will be over soon and I'll be back to the usual 60-70 hrs per week. I've never done a group buy before and I'll definitely need some help with this. (hint, hint)
Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_Unit
But anyways, if you guys are willing to dish out $50 on a bulb, why not just split on an HID kit? I used to be a member at HIDplanet.com and did a custom HID retrofit on my bimmer using a FX35 projector + a TSX lens in my headlights, so I can't imagine this being any harder. For a backup light, I am sure a cheap HID kit will do just fine with a relay and proper harness. Anyone know how difficult it would be to run some power wires to the backup light?
Aren't HIDs pretty hot? We'd be putting them into a small plastic housing designed for a 21W incandesecnt bulb. Running new wires would be a PITA but doable. I'm uncertain about the difficulty of mounting a HID headlamp in place of the stock 7440 socket.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fred,

Thanks for putting in all this effort while you're supposed to be vacationing. I know 50 orders sounds tough to get by 12/23. I suppose we could order after the 23rd and just wait longer if needed, right? You can count me in if we move forward with this.

I also vote for the 4200k over the blueish light.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the record, it's not Midget Hearse. Last night, we were both shooting the breeze at Claim Jumpers, and he told me it was Midget Ears.

And secondly, HID bulbs run cooler than a normal bulb. Granted the stock rear bulb is really small, it will definitely run cooler than an h1 or other regular fog light bulb. If you mount an HID bulb securely, I think it would be fine.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

For the record, it's not Midget Hearse. Last night, we were both shooting the breeze at Claim Jumpers, and he told me it was Midget Ears.

And secondly, HID bulbs run cooler than a normal bulb. Granted the stock rear bulb is really small, it will definitely run cooler than an h1 or other regular fog light bulb. If you mount an HID bulb securely, I think it would be fine.
If you're talking about the guy with the BSP xB2 with the Avic-d3 with the back up camera, it's midgetHEARSExb. I know this because I talk to him on a pretty much daily basis. Heck, if you look back on the install on his DF210's, I'm the goon that did it.

Just an fyi...
Old 12-05-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx

If you're talking about the guy with the BSP xB2 with the Avic-d3 with the back up camera, it's midgetHEARSExb. I know this because I talk to him on a pretty much daily basis. Heck, if you look back on the install on his DF210's, I'm the goon that did it.

Just an fyi...
Yep, that's him and his car. He's also the same guy that has this boyfriend that he makes out with and talks to everyday and even had him install some brand new DF210s.... oh wait.... my bad man. You're not that other guy, are you?!

lol... man, I'm just messing with you. Midget Ears sounds a lot funnier to me, so I'll refer to him however I want.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Okay, gotcha.

have you been to any of the utahscions meet? If so, who the heck are you?!?!!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Okay, gotcha.

have you been to any of the utahscions meet? If so, who the heck are you?!?!!
I'm afraid Utah is too far from since I'm from the Bay Area in Cali. If you ever come to Cali, I am the sole founder of a chain of Chines Restaurants called Mr. Chau's throughout the area. If you have any suggestions to my restaurant, please fill out a questionnaire linked to my website... TIA.

To the original poster, sorry for hijacking this thread. I am not trying to advocate my store for promotion nor profit.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
Fred,

Thanks for putting in all this effort while you're supposed to be vacationing. I know 50 orders sounds tough to get by 12/23. I suppose we could order after the 23rd and just wait longer if needed, right? You can count me in if we move forward with this.

It's sad that I don't have anything better to do with my vacation isn't it? Oh well, such is my boring life...

You're right. If we miss the 12/23 deadline, it's no big deal. I've been backing up blind since July so I suppose I can wait another few months if necessary. We now have 3 standard bulb orders, only 47 more to go!

BTW, I emailed Sigma and asked them for a sample bulb. I hope they're willing. If not I may have to buy one but I'm hesitant to spend $50 on a light bulb.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Somebody has probably already said this but what I'd like to see is for Scion to do all the R&D and have a fix for the '09 models with a retrofit available for the '08s.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Somebody has probably already said this but what I'd like to see is for Scion to do all the R&D and have a fix for the '09 models with a retrofit available for the '08s.
That's the way it should work. Scion screwed it up, they should fix it. Why is the XB2 the only car on the road with only 21w of BU lite? If they wanted a single BU lite to be different, fine, but they should have made it a 50W lamp. Then it might shed as much light as the typical 2x21W setups.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fred, I was assuming that we would be getting ONE sample bulb from them (if they'll even do it) with their next order, THEN put together the group buy if everything checks out. There's not a prayer in he11 that 50 xB owners will commit to this bulb, even at the lower price, without verification that it works like they claim. If Sigma has seen one lit up at night, and feels it is as good as advertised, then I would think they would be happy to front for the first bulb or talk Catz into fronting for it. Just curious; have you sent them this link so that they can see how serious we all are?

Thanks again for your efforts.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks like we won't be getting a free sample but Sigma has proposed a demonstration video instead. It's so frustrating that I can buy a 25W halogen bulb for $2 but if I want a T20 base the same bulb costs $50...

Hi Fred,

I believe my Prius uses these Catz T20 bulbs as backup. I am almost 90%
sure, I can double-check tomorrow. I can keep one halogen in there &
put in a 27W Raybrig T20 incadescent on the other side to show you. If
I can find the factory 21W T20, that'd be a better comparison cos'
Raybrig is already visually brighter than stock. But this is our
busiest season of the year and I can't guarantee when I can shoot this
video to show you. Besides, this is a 2-man job.

I haven't encountered one LED direct swap bulb that is bright enough for
illumination application like backup. They're more for DRL, signals
only. But time will change this.

Sorry, we don't give out samples. You can purchase 1 or 2 at full
retail but I'll refund you the price difference once you commit to the
50-pc order. I am quite sure that mixed models is ok.

Edward
SigmaAuto.com
Old 12-06-2007, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let's give him the opportunity to show us; and Fred, I know he is already aware of this, but reinforce that we are talking about a $1700 order for 50 bulbs at $34/each. NOT CHUMP CHANGE, for people that will give him endless references if this is the shnizzle (to use a snoop dog term; trying not to swear in the forum).

AND I repeat: THANKS FOR ALL YOUR TIME & EFFORTS!!!!

Very much appreciated.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm getting the strong feeling that you're much better at this sort of negotiation than I am. One of the things I really liked about buying a Scion was the no-haggle pricing. I'm too easy-going.

Anyway, excellent points as usual. I hadn't even thought about the total value of this potential group buy. I suppose we should wait for Sigma to convince us that their product is worth it and go from there.

Thanks to you and the SL community for all of your info, support and help. SL helped me to mod a tC CAI, make an underseat sub, turned me on to eD, wire my stereo and so much more. I'm just trying to give a little back.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a give and take thing; we give, and they take (the suppliers). Seriously, thanks! If you'd like to pass the buck, I'll take it; just let Sigma know what's going on. Who have you been in contact with, I've only only been paying attn. to the name "Sigma", and you. If you'd like to pass them my way, it's bowmailbox-cionide@yahoo.com

Thanks for all your efforts and support Fred. Somebody make this guy a moderator, if he isn't already!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is the response I received from Scion/Toyota:
(They ain't doin' squat.)

Recently you contacted Scion Customer Experience. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject: 2008 xB dangerously feeble back-up light
Response: (Kyle Oshiro) 12/06/2007 07:34 AM

Here at Scion, our mission is to satisfy a trend setting youthful buyer through distinctive products and an innovative, consumer-driven process. Therefore, we are always making an attempt to provide a distinct product of style and quality.

The all new 2008 xB has been redesigned with style and the consumer in mind. It does meet or exceed the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in all aspects, including the choice for one reverse light. The choice to use one reverse light instead of the A-typical two is for aesthetics and design. It is fully functional in its design, providing adequate lighting for reversing. We strongly recommend exercising caution whenever you are backing your vehicle out of a parking space, et cetera, as it may be difficult for you as the driver to see; as well as for other drivers to see you.

We make every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability.

It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of the reactions and expectations of our customers; and we sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback.

If you have any further questions or comments you may contact us directly at 1-866-70-SCION or by email at Scion.com .

Kyle Oshiro
Scion Customer Experience
Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

^^^thats total BS^^^

they say it meets all federal motor vehicle safety standards.....

yet they tell u to be careful wen backing up cuz other people wont see u WTF!!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Fred,

Note - I think the 4200k bulb IS the bluish tinted one.

Quick Reply: brightest solution for replacement back-up light (7440 bulb)